• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inner side of knee pain. HELP PLEASE

Grip N Rip

Par Member
I've recently had this sore/tender feeling on the inner side of my knee. I have been playing a lot but not excessively. It is my right knee (the leg i plant with...I'm a RH BH)

I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them and if they have thought on what causes this pain and how to relieve it. Thanks guys.

Go see a doctor and post a video of yourself throwing if you're looking for any insights into how to fix potential problems in your technique. That's about all anyone will be able to say for sure. Knee pain seems very common with disc golf veterans though.

Take a break and ice/rest it for a while. It's probably just a minor sprain. If you rehab it properly and proceed gingerly without feeling any pain than you're probably fine. If it starts hurting again or never stops, time to see a doctor and/or really lay off of it for multiple months.

When you're throwing, try not to lock your knee straight. It should have a slight bend to it, even during the pivot. Also, learn to heel pivot, it seems to put less stress on your knee.

After playing for 3 years without any problems, I have been experiencing exactly what you are describing in the past 2 months.
Always ice after playing, and try to cut back on how much you are playing.
My current assumption is that my knee is getting stressed from trying to pivot on cement tees that have really coarse surfaces, so the rotation is not coming easy and it is moving stress up to my knee.
As the other person noted, heel pivot is probably better for the knee, so I am working on that.

If you believe that disc golf is causing your knee pain, it's most likely a problem with your pivot on your plant foot. You definitely need to have a relatively free pivot either on the toe or the heel of your plant foot to avoid harmful torque on your knee joint. I had this very problem until I made an adjustment in my form to improve the rotation on my plant foot, and have been more or less pain free ever since.

But you should never discount the helpfulness of a medical professional who can examine you in person and diagnose the problem with some degree confidence. You don't want to ignore an injury and then risk having it do serious or permanent damage.

Pain is bad, see a doctor.

Stretch before you play. It will loosen everything up and make you less prone to injury.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably not getting good rotation on your release. It's probably putting extra stress on you knee ligaments causing a mild strain.

Take care of yourself, this is the kind of thing that can become a more serious injury if not treated properly.

Thanks everyone. I'm just gonna putt practice till this tourney next week...my putts needs it anyway :p but after this tourney i'm taking a long break

When I had knee pain, the doctor told me a good rule of thumb is that pain on the inside of the knee is tendons and muscles, pain on the outside is the meniscus. Mine unfortunately was on the outside and I had to have 1/2 my meniscus removed. :( Of course The best thing to do is see a doctor ASAP.

I have had to get both of my knees scoped due to torn meniscus, no idea if disc golf had any hand in the injuries but both times the doc thought it was likely. The good news is that arthroscopic knee surgery is minimally invasive, very quick recovery time, and (at least in my case) fixed the problems 100% - what a joy to play pain-free rounds like I did 15 years ago!

I have had that pain since before my surgery. Doc told me its from torn minicus (sp) go to a doc get a mri

I've had multiple knee injuries and a couple of surgeries. Here's what I can say.

Odds are that you don't know when you did it, but something happened and it has gradually gotten worse. If it is a miniscus, it is more of an "uncomfortable dull pain" that doesn't subside. In this case, icing is not going to help you much, if at all. Icing only helps reduce swelling in ligaments/tendons/muscles. The miniscus is an interior cushion. It is most often injured by a verticle impact...not rotation torque. If you planted really hard on the concrete, with a lot of force straight down, you could have torn a miniscus. My guess is that this was done via the torque which means that it is either the ACL/MCL or sometimes the Patellar Tendon. If you feel any instability, like your knee sliding around abnormally, it is the ACL or MCL. A sprain of the MCL is no big deal...just some physical therapy and rest for about 5-6 weeks. An ACL sprain is likely going to require surgery. If it is only partially torn, then you may not have to have surgery now, but you're essentially a ticking time bomb.

The problem with knee injuries is that none of the knee ligaments or miniscus regenerate. Once they're torn, they're torn and surgery is the only remedy. I've had ACL reconstruction (from a softball injury) as well as a few "scopes".

It could also be some torn cartilage floating around causing the pain, but this is usually an issue that arises years after the initial injury.

In short, go to the doc...get an MRI...and hope for an MCL sprain. I knew my knee wasn't well, but I could walk around just fine before I found out I had torn my ACL. Sometimes the injury is much worse than it seems.

I ignored the same type of pain. Then one day snap torn meniscus, 8 weeks on the couch, followed by 8 weeks rehab. If its a concern go see the doc, it could Be a simple sprain or a sign that something bad is going on. My 2 cents

My left ACL tore all at once when I took one step to go from running to stopped on a basketball court. I was swollen for weeks, and then learned to live with a fragile knee from Feb. until October 2000 when I finally got surgery. Then it was another year before the healing, rehab, and swelling were through. A friend of mine has had a much different and in the long run more painful experience with his ACL: he has a partially torn ACL that he has been tweaking from time to time for close to ten years now, and the doctor said to hold off surgery until it's fully torn. It makes me feel lucky I had a fully torn ACL. But everybody's experience is different, and you can't always tell by the symptoms what the problem is. But you want to take care of your knees so they'll be in good shape when you're old. Definitely visit a doctor.

I've recently had this sore/tender feeling on the inner side of my knee. I have been playing a lot but not excessively. It is my right knee (the leg i plant with...I'm a RH BH)

I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them and if they have thought on what causes this pain and how to relieve it. Thanks guys.

I had something like that once. My orthopedic checked it out and I had a strained LCL, in the knee. (strange -- I'd heard of ACL's and MCL's but not the LCL. Luckily that one is not as bad of an issue as the other ligaments.) He showed me his model of the knee and it made sense. You might not be spinning your plant foot correclty on the follow-through. Safest bet is get it checked out man, by an ortho.

I have had inner knee pain in my right knee since early 2010. The pain is on the inside of my right knee (inside meaning side next to left leg, not inside meaning deep even though that would also be a true statement). I have not been to a doctor and it has only gotten worse. I will just be sitting here at my computer and it will randomly start throbbing in pain sometimes. I would recommend going to a doctor before it gets worse like mine has.

I ignored the same type of pain. Then one day snap torn meniscus, 8 weeks on the couch, followed by 8 weeks rehab. If its a concern go see the doc, it could Be a simple sprain or a sign that something bad is going on. My 2 cents

Wow, I was up and walking within 3 days and back to work in a steel foundry in 2 weeks. I was playing again a month and a half after my surgery. I don't know what I'd do for 8 weeks.

I had a problem with some knee pain in the same spot just a few weeks ago. I went ahead to see the doctor. He was a jerk but after some xrays, he explained that if you tore a meniscus or ligament, your knee would swell like crazy. Lots of blood goes through them. So the verdict was relax,(no ice!), and Motrin. FOR ME. I'm not prescribing you anything.... :D

Even protozoa know that if you do it and it hurts, stop doing it.
Evolve or die. :doh:

Latest posts