• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas actual DISCussion thread

Got about 20 throws in with the Atlas today, I only own one and it is 180g and very flat. First off, I was playing my round in 70 degree weather with light rain and in wind of about 10 mph.

Not many golfers were out on the course today so I decided to tee off on about half the holes with both my Atlas and Warship, in order to make some comparisons as I went along. Just from a power perspective, the furthest I've thrown a disc on flat ground is a little over 375' and the furthest I've thrown a mid-range (VIP Warship) is 300'. The amount of holes I tee off on with a mid-range obviously varies with the course I'm playing, but it rarely happens regardless of the course. Since I know I don't have great form, I usually power down a bit in order to get the most distance with my mids, and would say I usually release any mid with a loose power grip, for lack of a better term.

When teeing off with the Atlas, I was able to keep the disc flat and straight for the entire flight, and every time it finished with minimal to zero fade. Naturally, when I tee off I am used to using all of my power and tilting the disc downward upon release, which works well for me with my drivers and keeps them from turning too quickly or grabbing too much height. With the Atlas, I realized I needed to use a higher or more level release as the disc needed more room underneath it in order to get the most glide and distance.

I'd say I was hitting about 240-245' consistently with my drives and my furthest throw was 270ish feet on a relatively open hole. Honestly, the only way I could get this disc to finish left with any fade was if I put it on a sharp hyzer. And when I released it on a less-dramatic/normal hyzer it would still flip up flat and finish straight. This can be annoying at times, especially when throwing dead straight is not an option. When I did decide to rip into the Atlas with full power, it would always finish right (due to bad form), but it never completely flipped over. Even though I was not playing in 100 degree weather, this disc is definitely not flippy, even with my torquey release. When faced with a headwind, I threw the disc with a slight hyzer release and it flipped up flat. I would not call it a wind fighter, as the wind caused the disc to come down quite a bit faster, but it fought the headwind better than I had expected it to.

Overall, I feel my Warship is still a more versatile disc that I can achieve a bit more distance with, but the Atlas is definitely better for straight approach shots and short, straight drives. I definitely agree with the reviews prior to mine that spoke of the minimal fade of this disc.

As for the plastic and the feel of the disc, the softer star outer/rim is quite durable. Mine already has some marks on it from tree hits and chains but there is no scuffing or nicks to be found. the firmer star flight plate made for clean releases even in the rain (better than the VIP plastic of my Warship), and I did not have any problems with slipping or grip-locking. There are obviously four compass points and four corresponding dimple marks in the flight plate. Just running my finger across the dimple marks I could hardly tell they were there. I consider myself to have average sized hands and it really is not difficult to grip the disc between the compass points. I could maybe see how these points could get in the way for someone with very large hands. When I did grip the disc on the compass points I found that it did not effect my release, but it kind of messed with me mentally/psychologically, so I will probably avoid doing that from now on :eek:. Maybe when it heats up again around here the plastic will have a different feel to it, as others have mentioned, but today it felt fine.

I would still say the Warship is my go to mid-range as it covers almost every shot for me and is the only mid that I have carried on the course all year. The Atlas may make it's way into my bag just for the fact that I know I can rely on it to finish straight, and that is basically it. I could definitely see someone with better form being able to get some good distance out of this disc. I didn't expect the Warship and Atlas to fly similarly, and at least for me, they did not.

I know this review lacked a lot of terminology, but I tried to be as specific as possible, this is probably my first time reviewing a disc in detail. It's definitely unique in its design and flight, which is why I will keep myself from making a poor attempt at comparing the Atlas to other discs on the market.

(Sorry for any typos or grammatical errors!)

Nice review. One question though: did you ever have to make it go right? How does it handle an anhyzer release?

Nice review. One question though: did you ever have to make it go right? How does it handle an anhyzer release?

That's one thing I was unfortunately unable to do. I mean I could have done it, but it just didn't really work out on my home course. It's the perfect course for testing new discs, because it is honestly so damn open and most holes either finish straight or left. There is one hole where you can either throw dead straight or slightly to the right, most people RHFH it to get that slight finish to the right, but my forehand sucks, and at that point in the round I knew I would be able to get the Atlas to go straight so that's the option I chose. I probably could have anny'd it, and if I recall correctly, I had mistakenly thrown a couple with slight anhyzers earlier in the round when I tried to power the s*** out of it, and that is when I got the finish to the right without it flipping.

So from the limited throws I have had with it, I would say it handles an anhyzer alright, but it could be better. I feel like if I released it with a sharper anhyzer it might not handle it as well, that's something I will have to test out...

How shallow/deep is the rim?
Normal. Roc, QMS, Shark... that type of normal.

Interesting sight from our throwing yesterday. There was a little slice (I heard it was thrown into a fence; not judging durability or anything here) that revealed how deep into the rim the plate ports extend. I didn't get a photo from the right angle where you could clearly see the orange plastic... all I ended up with was this, and the rim has been melted back into place.

So yeah, not a judgement/hate post, but nerd-interesting that the ports extend this close to the edge.

4mBvXig.jpg

Also wanted to add that in terms of stability I'd say its pretty much neutral.

I'm posting this on a different phone so this post might get f*****.

oh dang its barely even out and someone has already wrecked the 'overmold'

gl innova

Yeah I guess we'll see how they hold up over time. I'm a little skeptical about what Dave D said about throwing the Atlas against a brick wall hundreds of times with no noticeable flight changes.

Yeah I guess we'll see how they hold up over time. I'm a little skeptical about what Dave D said about throwing the Atlas against a brick wall hundreds of times with no noticeable flight changes.

Dave should have thrown it at a Discatcher 100 times, it a disc can survive hitting the top of the chastity belt it is really durable.

i will de skepticalize your brains when i can buy these things at not hero for more than a 20 dollar bill.

also i hate discatcher baskets and their big stupid yellow top.

(inviting myself to answer, too)

I feel like these segments are the intro to the real video. TV has me conditioned to hear a 2-3.5 minute intro, expect a commercial break OR a branding sequence, then dive into the details. The SpinTV stuff so far has still been interesting to watch, but I feel like they end before the content really begins. I understand the need to digestible installments, but SpinTV could put out an "Aviars In-Depth" or "Rocs In-Depth" or "Rocs: the Living History" and not miss a beat. And of course, it could always be framed as an outtake, or behind-the-scenes.

Essentially I think there's a crowd who watches DG video content online. Separately, there's a crowd who's fuzzy on the (existence of and) types of Aviars and Rocs. My read is that the overlap of those crowds is being overestimated.

And again, I'll gladly watch him talk about stuff I already know. It was cool to read it from the source on PDGABB and it's cool to watch it on SpinTV.

Well, you've got a few things right here. :)

We're trying to keep it to shorter segments. If I'm not mistaken (too lazy to look up right now) the next HyzerCinema contribution to the site will be the longest form video coming in at ~7:15...maybe some tourney coverage is longer...dunno.

ANYWAY.

Part of the mission is to keep weekly fresh content going, and basically the more editing gets involved, the longer your turnaround is. The other part is to keep it high quality, so do something that you can accomplish quickly with high production value means shorter length videos...for now. I'm hoping that with the viewership comes more budget, and that will drastically increase what we can do that will stay on time and up to par.

I definitely know what you're saying though, we've been conditioned by TV to hear the "teasers" and then set up the long docu-discussion in 44min. (1hr TV) segments in between commercials.

Basically...I'll end my rambling by saying this. If you want more detailed, longer, or more in-depth stuff...stay tuned! There will be more content geared towards the higher level players eventually, but we're trying to introduce broadcast-quality disc golf media to the world and that means starting with the average Joe Rec Player's level of involvement/attention span/knowledge base.

Sweet!

I'm up at 1am, off the clock, hack editing some months-old footage at home because there's simply not time in my schedule of web development and graphics. Just getting some kind of video content out weekly is a huge burden, so I definitely understood the length of these segments being determined by the schedule.

It's great to hear that there's more long-form stuff coming. So far the Bios have been the most interesting for me, and I think it's the amount of new information, and maybe a longer format... even if the variety of scenes just make them feel longer.

Hero Discs has some steep shipping prices! Wanted to check these out but can't seem to get past the almost $12 to ship 2 discs. Anyone know if they're are any coupons/deals for cheaper shipping from them available?

Interesting, so what's your take on these videos? (real question not trolling)

To tell you the truth I've been busy and I'm just checking out the videos now.
From what I've watched so far I like the bios a lot. The other informative videos were interesting, but as you said in your later post, I can tell they are not really geared toward us disc nerds. Other than that I don't have much criticism to offer...Of course I'd like to hear some more detailed and in depth content, but I understand why you are starting where you are. The production is clearly a cut above what I've seen in disc golf vids. Great job and I look forward to more.

Sweet!

I'm up at 1am, off the clock, hack editing some months-old footage at home because there's simply not time in my schedule of web development and graphics. Just getting some kind of video content out weekly is a huge burden, so I definitely understood the length of these segments being determined by the schedule.

It's great to hear that there's more long-form stuff coming. So far the Bios have been the most interesting for me, and I think it's the amount of new information, and maybe a longer format... even if the variety of scenes just make them feel longer.

To tell you the truth I've been busy and I'm just checking out the videos now.
From what I've watched so far I like the bios a lot. The other informative videos were interesting, but as you said in your later post, I can tell they are not really geared toward us disc nerds. Other than that I don't have much criticism to offer...Of course I'd like to hear some more detailed and in depth content, but I understand why you are starting where you are. The production is clearly a cut above what I've seen in disc golf vids. Great job and I look forward to more.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll stop the threadjack...I almost forgot this thread was about the Atlas...but if you have ideas on how we can do videos catering to the more advanced/nerdy disc golf population feel free to PM or email me. I especially want what I do to be reflective of the wants of the community and I know both of you have your thumbs on that pulse in different parts of the country than I do.

So yeah...Atlas...can't wait to throw one!

those notches on the bottom would bother me to no end. i spin the disc before i throw. can't help it.

does look interesting and the flight sounds nice.

JIt's DGCR that chooses to spin things negatively. Though I've not yet met Dave Dunipace (I hope to in the near future), he seems to me like someone passionate about crafting the technology of the game. He doesn't make 10 versions of Rocs because he sucks at what he does, he does it because he wants to perfect the craft and make things better.

What you really want from him is to validate the forum theories and lingo used on this site, which in many cases don't hold water as much as the users here want them to. Sorry to burst the bubble. Even if he did talk like that it would come across as phony, since those aren't the terms he thinks in.

Crafting technology? Innova wants to put a halt to the technological advances in wing design by killing high speed drivers. Dunipace is first and foremost a businessman, and I hope passionate enough about the sport to understand that this sport needs a learning curve. If anyone can do it, its not gonna be fun.

In other news I ordered and Atlas.:D I'd like to see pictures of what guys have gotten..... Then pics (not for the faint of heart) of these that have had collisions with objects. I know my MVP discs are wear resistant, and because these don't have gyro tech:doh: I'm hoping they can hold up as well as old Davie says.....

In other news I ordered and Atlas.:D I'd like to see pictures of what guys have gotten..... Then pics (not for the faint of heart) of these that have had collisions with objects. I know my MVP discs are wear resistant, and because these don't have gyro tech:doh: I'm hoping they can hold up as well as old Davie says.....

In other words you are already starting to form your opinion without ever throwing or even holding one of these discs in your hands?
If that's the case then your review will not be very objective. :)

Latest posts