• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

Not sure if this is supposed to be hilarious, but you just described the M.O. of the last few MVP releases.

I was serious, but I agree with you. I think they both lead the pack when it comes to marketing a release. I'm not sure the big releases that are hyped (by other companies) have lived up to expectations, it always fades quickly when the product comes to fruition. In the end we all win, there is another disc on the market that may drive even more competition between manufacturers.

I highly doubt it.

A big part of MVP's success can be attributed to their discs being unique. The largest manufacturer in disc golf is about to make MVP less unique.

show me another disc with an overmold that has resorted to nubs under the flightplate. mvp discs aren't innovative or unique, theyre just made really really really well.

innovas pos reminds me of people that use fence hinges on the outside of their car doors.

car-door-frozen-shut.jpg

You may be right, but the average disc golfer probably won't notice a difference. All else being equal...advantage Innova.

show me another disc with an overmold that has resorted to nubs under the flightplate. mvp discs aren't innovative or unique, theyre just made really really really well.

innovas pos reminds me of people that use fence hinges on the outside of their car doors.

car-door-frozen-shut.jpg

MVP not unique??? Yes, they are unique, until now. They are the only disc company which used two different plastic compositions in the same disc. They do a fantastic job at it.

I look at it this way, it's super healthy competition. MVP is not going to be hurt by this (and perhaps the highlighting of this product will bring more attention to MVP), but in the long run, MVP has caught notice. It will be interesting to see if pricing drops due to competition, or if company's continue to innovate better and better products.

Either way, this is good for disc golf consumers.

Last edited:
You may be right, but the average disc golfer probably won't notice a difference. All else being equal...advantage Innova.

NOW THATS A BUSINESS STRATEGY. why do we waste time talking about what stupid chuckers think when we all know better? i dont care if innova makes some extra money on this endeavor, ill always see it as a total hackjob.

nickleback makes astounding amounts of money, does that make their music good, or them talented?

i have zero respect for this product.

NOW THATS A BUSINESS STRATEGY. why do we waste time talking about what stupid chuckers think when we all know better? i dont care if innova makes some extra money on this endeavor, ill always see it as a total hackjob.

nickleback makes astounding amounts of money, does that make their music good, or them talented?

i have zero respect for this product.

You aren't the target market for this, so whether you respect it or not will have no bearing on its success.

Innova is taking something one company has - a distinct look - and putting its own spin on it. It could feel totally different, fly drastically different, but still sell big because people will walk into shops and it will grab their eye. Or, they could feel it, think it is cheap or gimmicky, and move on to the MVP section.

All of the anger toward Innova here - not just from nolan, but from everyone - just seems naive. Someone was bound to copy MVP one day, and it should be seen as them arriving, so to speak. What I can't figure out, though, is if all this hate is being directed at Innova simply for being Innova. If Latitude or Prodigy did this, would the reaction be as fierce, or is this rage against the machine as usual?

MVP not unique??? Yes, they are unique, until now. They are the only disc company which used two different plastic compositions in the same disc. They do a fantastic job at it.

Gotta call you on this one, Kirk my friend. RIP discs also does it and the two blends they use are much more different from each other than the blends MVP uses. That's why I say this release from Innova is much more akin to RIP than MVP. MVP did the overmold for it's gyro properties, and have succeeded with it beyond anyone's expectations. I remember hearing people say the would never be able to do drivers...now they have three. People also said they couldn't make anything truly overstable...the new Shocks and now the fantastic Tensor have proved them wrong.

But what RIP did with it's putters is different. They didn't have any gyro effect in mind...they wanted a super stiff putter that caught chains like a gummy. So they released the Graboid and Relic. The center plates on those are like steel they are so hard, yet the rim is nice and soft and catches the chains with ease...just as intended (though having their discs molded by Quest led to some inevitable QC issues)

And I think that's more what Innova is going for here (just my speculation) a nice soft rim that will catch chains and not chunk away at trees yet a stiff flight plate to make it cut through the air better. I doubt Innova put nearly the man hours into making them gyroscopic that MVP did.

It's kind of like MVP is Apple 5 years ago, while Innova is Windows five years ago. Most people use Innova, but us nerds like MVP.

All of the anger toward Innova here - not just from nolan, but from everyone - just seems naive. Someone was bound to copy MVP one day, and it should be seen as them arriving, so to speak. What I can't figure out, though, is if all this hate is being directed at Innova simply for being Innova. If Latitude or Prodigy did this, would the reaction be as fierce, or is this rage against the machine as usual?

If it was Prodigy you would get not only a Prodigy hate thread, but somehow another Nikko hate thread as well.

Those nubs...... One thing is for sure while innova has the resources to be more consistent, now they have to be double consistent?

Are there gonna be stamps? It would be great if they are not stamped.

If it was Prodigy you would get not only a Prodigy hate thread, but somehow another Nikko hate thread as well.

Ha ha, touche. Perhaps if I said Legacy it would be different.

And Andy, I agree with you about what Innova is going for here - soft outer with firm inner, as opposed to gyroscopics. It will be interesting if they go that route with putters, or if this is just a one-off experiment.

Honestly, if they went drivers, they could help their sustainability argument, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that next.

innova might still have the US market but they probably want a bigger world market....great idea. i never liked the ion but doesn't mean they aren't great discs. maybe this will be bigger than the BUZZZ. that is what innova need to copy and market.