• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Backpack Bag

Really surprised at all the hate and bitching, much of which was sight unseen. Im new back into DG after many (MANY) years away so I have no loyalty issues or axes to grind. This bag undercuts many of its competitors by $100 and is made by a very reputable brand. I was stunned to see backpack bags going for close to $200 and up. This bag hopefully will bring some sanity back into backpack bag pricing. I'd happily buy it.

There's a reason this bag costs half as much as higher end bags. The materials are far lower grade. I would suspect the bags will last just about half as long as higher end bags.

You get what you pay for. It's not a bad bag, per se, but it's certainly not high end, either.

Nice job kw, I think you just helped sell a bunch of these bags -- why don't you order 20 more? You would likely sell out pretty quickly.

And good job letting your kids be kids, much respect there. :thmbup:

There's a reason this bag costs half as much as higher end bags. The materials are far lower grade. I would suspect the bags will last just about half as long as higher end bags.

You get what you pay for. It's not a bad bag, per se, but it's certainly not high end, either.

I've seen these "high end" bags for sale used at PIAS. They get pretty beat. $90 for a brand new Hero or a beat Grip?

I've seen these "high end" bags for sale used at PIAS. They get pretty beat. $90 for a brand new Hero or a beat Grip?

That brand new Hero will probably wear out before a beat Grip. The sidewall/back supports are pretty flimsy on the Hero, and the bag material isn't even close. Those mesh drink holders are pretty bad, as well.

If you haven't had a Hero in your hand, it's hard to explain....but you'll get it once you actually feel one.

That brand new Hero will probably wear out before a beat Grip. The sidewall/back supports are pretty flimsy on the Hero, and the bag material isn't even close. Those mesh drink holders are pretty bad, as well.

If you haven't had a Hero in your hand, it's hard to explain....but you'll get it once you actually feel one.

Is this bag a "hero"? Does it have flimsy back support?

Flimsy sidewall support was something I noticed right away. I wouldn't be surprised if it is prone to warping.

There was decent amount of back padding, though. Nice bottom rails. I'm actually a bit surprised they made it so darn big. A little smaller, with less weight in it, on average, would probably help with life cycle.

I'm actually a bit surprised they made it so darn big. A little smaller, with less weight in it, on average, would probably help with life cycle.

bigger bag = more discs = MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY fo INNOVA

Nice job kw, I think you just helped sell a bunch of these bags -- why don't you order 20 more? You would likely sell out pretty quickly.

And good job letting your kids be kids, much respect there. :thmbup:

Thank you! I may order more sooner than I expected. I wasn't planning on ordering more before January because I just added 500+ discs to the inventory in the last week. But sales are extremely strong so I may have enough to buy more :)

My kids love "working" with me. They help with a lot of my inventory unboxing vids, and they love to go out and throw too!

Thank you! I may order more sooner than I expected. I wasn't planning on ordering more before January because I just added 500+ discs to the inventory in the last week. But sales are extremely strong so I may have enough to buy more :)

My kids love "working" with me. They help with a lot of my inventory unboxing vids, and they love to go out and throw too!

That's great kw, congrats on what you're doing.

Do you know what kind of warranty, if any, the Innova & Prodigy backpack bags have?

Seems like the bag is filling a void between a Yugo and a Lexus. Pretty good marketing move for Innova.

That's great kw, congrats on what you're doing.

Do you know what kind of warranty, if any, the Innova & Prodigy backpack bags have?

I'm actually not too sure on either. I'm pretty sure I heard that there is no warranty on the Innova bag.

Yes, it's a Hero. I felt one up yesterday when they were unpacking them at the store. Flimsy might be giving it a little too much credit. :thmbdown:

It's a Magellan. Plain and simple. Rebranded with Innova logo, they removed some of the mesh from the front pocket & one side pocket (for mini's I assume), added 2 small pencil holders, and included some flimsy plastic/velcro dividers and side supports. The back padding is changed as well - and not for the better. Instead of thick shoulder pads and a waist paid, they went with a thinner, all-down-the-back pad, and it looks to be even less comfortable than the Magellan (as if that was even possible), and much hotter in the summer time too - as there is no venting or anywhere for the sweat to evaporate. I anticipate a lot of hot, sticky, sweaty backs after wearing this bag in the summer.

It's made of the same thin material that the Magellan is made from - NOT the thicker Innova bag material we're used to. Looking at and handling the bag, it was pretty obvious that a Magellan with a well built PVC frame is a better setup. That flimsy plastic inserts will collapse pretty quickly under any kind of use. The other thing I made sure to check - there are NO improvements to the strap/stitching where the shoulder straps connect to the bag. That is the Achilles Heel of the Magellan, and it will be the same for the Innova version.

Look - anyone who reads DCGR or has any sort of passing knowledge of what's going on in DG bags lately will laugh their asses off at these pathetic bags. Especially knowing it's a $30 Magellan with $5 worth of plastic/dividers added to it. However, it WILL look like a *deal* hanging on the wall next to $200+ DD, Grip, and Lat64 high end bags. This is clearly made for the casual shopper or "disc-golf gift giver" who thinks "Oh, my husband/boyfriend would love a backpack for DG, but I can't spend $200 on one. Here's one for $89!"

Bottom line? Those of us who laughed at this bag were right. It's a $40 bag, tops. They didn't fix any of the shortcomings of the Magellan, they simply contracted Hero to change 3 minor things and re-brand it as Innova. It's not better, and one might even argue - not as good as the Magellan (especially at it's target price point) with a PVC frame.

If anything, I think it's going to drive more Magellan sales lolololol. :p

I don't think it's breaking news to anyone that a $90 bag would not be as high-quality as a $250 bag. The question is do you want to burn $250 for a backpack or will a $90 bag get the job done for you.

I play ball golf (12 hcp +/-) and I don't feel the need to buy a $300 staff bag. A middle-of-the-road cart bag works fine for me. But YMMV.

it is not the same as the magellan bag, they are made by different manufacturers (though they definitely look similar) and different materials

the magellan is made of ripstop nylon

the heropack is made of a combination of 600D, 450D, and 210D ballistic weave nylon

(the discarrier is Constructed of 100% Nylon 1260 Denier)

...They didn't fix any of the shortcomings of the Magellan, they simply contracted Hero to change 3 minor things and re-brand it as Innova. It's not better, and one might even argue - not as good as the Magellan (especially at it's target price point) with a PVC frame.

If anything, I think it's going to drive more Magellan sales lolololol. :p

yep. just bought a second Magellan w/the 10$ smaller bag too. still haven't spent 90$ on bags.

I don't think it's breaking news to anyone that a $90 bag would not be as high-quality as a $250 bag. The question is do you want to burn $250 for a backpack or will a $90 bag get the job done for you.

Actually, the question is really - Do you want to spend $90 on a $35 backpack? Especially when the $30 one is still readily available online and in stores.

I really need to grab a Magellan just to see the comparisons. If the Magellan is truly just made of ripstop nylon, then the price of the Innova Heropack makes sense, since it may be made with far better materials

Latest posts