• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Boss

I bought several bosses at USDGC. I threw one of them today at spectator day while playing (shot a 92...ugh). Anyway it was very overstable. Very comparable to an excaliber in champion. I really didn't enjoy trying to backhand it but it was great for sidearm shots thrown with anny. I almost 3'd hole 12 with it. It was an orange 175. The rim does feel barely bigger in my hand than my destroyers which I'm quite comfortable with. Oh, and it has a sweet stamp from the skull and bones roc on it (there are some for sale on ebay).

OK I took my 172 merlot (purple) boss out today to see how it flew. I must say this disc is much sweeter than my orange 175. Comparing them side by side I cannot tell any visual difference in flight plate/dome. The 175 flew like a champion excaliber and the 172 flew like a perfectly tuned destroyer. I would throw it with a little hyzer or really flat and it would anny just a little and bomb and come back nicely.

I don't think the 175 has a place in my bag except for forehands but the 172 is in for a good while.

Also, I weighed mine on a food scale and out of 5 that are supposed to be 175's only 2 actually were. 1 was a 173 and two were 174's.

OK, I played three rounds yesterday with both bosses in the bag. It turns out the orange 175 has (after hitting a few trees and skidding on some pavement) become less of a pig. I still can't flip it but I can throw it flat as hard as I want and it will carry. The merlot I can flip just a bit which is a nice complement to my bag.

On most websites, the lightest that they display is 173. But there are some 172's out there. I have one of the from the USDGC that has the roc skull and crossbones stamp on it.

I have not seen any lower than 172. I assume that some of the x-outs will be a little lighter. I saw one on ebay with a large bubble in the rim. Also, I weighed mine and one of them was 2g lighter than it said (173 instead of 175).

I am pumped that Feldberg has his own stamp now. This is a must buy even if I can't throw it...=)

I am only seeing the Boss 1st run with the innova star on it and not feldberg signature. Where are you guys finding this one? Any websites you recommend? any under $25.00 or is that just what it is going for at this time?

I am pumped that Feldberg has his own stamp now. This is a must buy even if I can't throw it...=)

Me too! For me this is a MUST HAVE disc, but it is also MUST NEVER THROW disc as it is WAY to much disc for me!!

I like innova reccomendations too,

'Slower? try a destroyer' !

getting one too as I just need to prostitute myself out for an extra 14 bucks...

BUT, what's the thoughts on this fast wide rimmed sucker making a good thumber disc?

its a fun fast disc to throw, but i think innova needs to add "for use with large hands only" because the rim on this thing is huge. for distance i throw forehand and am not able to get a good grip on the thing. but as a backhand disc its fine. thumber... i would assume the same grip problem as a forhand.

I've started playing in June. I started with a pair of Leopards, moved up to Roadrunners, then a Beast and then about a month ago started throwing a pair of Wraiths. I've been liking the Wraiths in all kinds of wind. A couple weeks back I picked up a pair a T-Rex's. The T-Rex is fun but doesn't fly as well as the Wraith when tossing downwind. I'm throwing 260-280' on average.

A couple days ago the Disc guy at Glide (Madison, WI) turned me on to the Boss.

Oh, boy. I've had several 300 plus throws and one a shade under 350. I've buried my new Boss 15' up in trees that ...last week were not reachable for me.

I throw it backhand ... flat and hard (or slightly hyzer cuz it will turnover and not come back) and the thing just zips. It doesn't feel like a pig to me. I like it.

The one's they sell at Glide are 175's in Champion plastic and have a nifty Star stamp. 15 bucks.

"Not recommended for players who throw less than 300 feet."

--http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/championBoss.html

I guess its a good thing I don't read recommendations.

I'm wondering though...For the last week or so I've been working on turning my head back more and watching the disc as I reach back in my run/walk up. I'm thinking that I'm getting more upper body rotation and a more precise disc angle at release....which may be giving me the speed necessary to throw a high speed disc.

Whatever!? I am able to enjoy throwing the Boss and am getting 15-20% more distance in just 2 days of use. I guess it won't be everyones fav, but 40 feet longer means a lot for me.

I'm wondering though...For the last week or so I've been working on turning my head back more and watching the disc as I reach back in my run/walk up. I'm thinking that I'm getting more upper body rotation and a more precise disc angle at release....which may be giving me the speed necessary to throw a high speed disc.
Unless it's going 400'+ then you're probably just adding off-axis torque to get the disc to fly straigher for you.