• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Champion Panther

Champion Panther?

• Own it, love it!

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • Own it......wish I didn't.

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Don't own it.

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Innova makes a Panther?

Votes: 34 14.7%

• Total voters
The Panther, being a small diameter mid, might prove to be more reliable (more OAT resistant) if that's what you are looking for.

Fuse is not like other discs, lol. But still, you can control it confidently in calm conditions.

The Panther is really easy to throw, the rim is somewhat rounded making for an easy release. Great disc to use in the woods. I purchased a flat one yesterday with a high plh... great disc.

My bagged mid's include a Champ. Panther, Chyztal Z Buzzz, and King Cobra... The Panther gets thrown more than the other two combined.

Panther is an awesome disc. I dont own one myself but my cousin used it a lot and also one of my best DG buds has a panther and he utilizes it well . He is a LHBH thrower and needs a good understable mid... He used my old Ace Race Meteor I gave him for awhile....he also throws a lot of Buzzz and BuzzzSS and Zombees n stuff like that...He's used to straight firing discs. Panther is a nice one. I like it when I would sometimes throw it. Similar to a beat Buzzz or a Meteor or a beat M4. stuff like that... Panther is a legit disc

Necro bump.

Threw my Champ Panthers at the range today. Despite months of use and abuse, they have not deigned to become understable for me. That's not a complaint, just an observation. Love throwing the Panther.

Chained out on an ace run today with my champ Panther. What a horrible disc :D

Just thought I'd give an update on the Panther: I have three Pink Panthers, two are 168g and the third is 166g. All are the older, translucent Champion plastic, not the clear JL stuff. All three are fairly flat, not board flat but only the mildest dome. All three fly virtually exactly the same: straight but with some reliable fade at the end. They're not understable, and even months of use have not made them understable despite that 5,4,-2,1 rating. I use them for approaches to the basket from 150+ feet and further out, knowing a throw a bit high and to the right will hyzer right down to park under the basket (if it doesn't hit metal or go in).

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Blue Panther. 165g, and this one is a bit more domey than the Pink ones. It (the Blue one) holds anhyzer shots well, better than the Pink ones. I threw it today on a longer shot (nearly 200 ft.) and watched it turn to the right(!), then settle flat down with only a little fade back. So is it the higher dome or the color that made the difference ;)

Still, the Panther is one of my favorite discs. Really comfortable grip that gives me confidence when I hold it, consistency in flight, really my "go-to" when I need to get close and have to curve the disc around obstacles. IMHO the Panther is overlooked, but shouldn't be. And I'd love to see how the Panther does in firm Star plastic (hint hint, Innova!).

Once upon a time Panthers were made in DX and they were my favorite understable disc. I have tried a champ or two but they are not the same as the dx I loved and are no longer in my bag.

My replacement for the dx Panther was a Dart for a very short time and then a Skeeter which I still use in DX today for anhyzer putts.

I use a Discraft Meteor for the rest of my Panther like shots.

It wasn't as understable as I had wanted it to be. Definitely didn't fly like it had -2 high speed fade for me. Gave it to my wife and she loves it. She used to always throw a cobra, but the more stable panther is working out great for her, and goes farther than her cobra.

It wasn't as understable as I had wanted it to be. Definitely didn't fly like it had -2 high speed fade for me. Gave it to my wife and she loves it. She used to always throw a cobra, but the more stable panther is working out great for her, and goes farther than her cobra.

Very similar to my own experience. The Cobra, especially in lighter weights, was and is more understable for me. And for better or worse, the Cobra is not in my bag right now. The Panther, however, just keeps parking under the basket on upshots, hyzers, and the like. Indispensable part of my bag unless the wind is blowing a gale...

Necro bump for a new find in the local PIAS
aXP864Lm.jpg

Crazy kewl new stamp, but am I the only one scratching my head as to why they chose to do this with the panther?

I'm imagining Dave Dunipace
"Hey look at Randy's cool drawing of a panther",
"Shall I put it put up on the break room fridge sir?"
"No, I think that warrants commissioning a copper plate exclusively for an old school mold that isn't particularly popular"

Maybe they are starting to stray away from Modernist marketing ([every mold]3 and Vtech) and swing for the retro route. Actually that would make sense. The font for the production Metal Flake stamps is reminiscent of 50s advertising. And Innova is the only contemporary manufacturer [well, discraft] that has been around long enough for a retro campaign to really mesh with the brand.

Last edited:
seems to me that they had a bunch of those guys printed up and a bunch of distributors ordered them in anticipation of a carolina panther superbowl win. 'champion panther', all discs in carolina colors (they are all blue, grey, black, smoke, clear)

will be a funny collectors item depending on how many they made, since i doubt they will be run again.

"No, I think that warrants commissioning a copper plate exclusively for an old school mold that isn't particularly popular"

Why do you say it's not popular? Isn't it part of the Champion 3-disc set? (Or was?)

It may not be the Roc, but it's not dead like the Wolf....

That's all I mean. It isn't innova mainstream. It is innova fringe. But far from innova shovelware or innova death.

Why do you say it's not popular? Isn't it part of the Champion 3-disc set? (Or was?)

It may not be the Roc, but it's not dead like the Wolf....

How many people do u see on the course throwing panthers? I maybe see one person a year throwing a panther, now compare that to innova popular mids which I see every time I play a round. Crazy as it may seem I see people throwing the wolf more often than the panther.

How many people do u see on the course throwing panthers? I maybe see one person a year throwing a panther, now compare that to innova popular mids which I see every time I play a round. Crazy as it may seem I see people throwing the wolf more often than the panther.

I've seen two people throwing Panthers on the course... one of them being me. My point is that the Panther is not dead. That idea of the Carolina Panthers might be along the right path. At any rate, those who do not want their Champion Panthers may feel free to send them to me, where they shall be given a good home and plenty of coursework.