• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova copies The Jeff Ash Brainwave

This is a joke right?

Wasp and Ghost = Roc

Rival = Teebird

Enemy = Firebird

they don't care.

It's not that they don't care. It's that the patents they held on beveled edge discs expired in 2003. Until that happened, every single golf disc produced by any company put $$ in Innova's coffers via patent licensing fees. There's a reason that the number of disc manufacturers has skyrocketed only in the last ten years or so...the licensing shackles have come off. They're not about to patent every single modification to the beveled edge disc they ever come out with, and at this point I don't think doing so would even be successful (or profitable).

Same goes for targets. DGA had the market cornered on baskets for years because they held the patents (and were aggressive about putting down competitors, even targets of the homemade variety). Their patents expired and suddenly everyone was in the basket market and there wasn't much they could do to stop it.

To the thread topic, if one has a specialized technique or method or product that they don't want copied, it behooves them to secure patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc to protect themselves. Even just starting that process gives them some legal claim of "first" if copycats comes along. Without seeking that legal protection, there's not a whole lot you can do if the copycats do start coming out of the woodwork.

He just posted that Innova contact him and the issue is over, now we can go back to our regularly scheduled idiocy.

Well, they also have copyrights, patents, etc they can enforce. Does Jeff? If not, tough ****.

I agree. I lose more respect for this guy every time I hear about him. First I'm supposed to feel sorry for him because he chose to be a drug dealer. Now I'm supposed to pity him because someone else is copying a technique to dye frisbees that he didn't bother to protect via copyright, patent, etc... He may not have been able to protect the technique legally or he may have chosen not to do so for a wide variety of reasons. Regardless, there is no legal hurdle to prevent Innova from doing what they did, and as far as I'm concerned, no moral obstacle either assuming those discs are priced the same as any other tie-dye disc. After all, you can learn how to duplicate this style right here on DGCR *gasp*!

I think I'll sell one of these dyes out and buy it to express my support of Innova.

Exactly, his whole stance on not supporting innova anymore is a childish one to me. Ive had some of my artwork styles and designs ripped off by others and all you can do is look at it as a compliment and move on.

And the fact that Dynamic Discs will let anyone send them an image off in the internet and create dyemax discs is just...fabulous. :\ :gross: :doh:

And the fact that Dynamic Discs will let anyone send them an image off in the internet and create dyemax discs is just...fabulous. :\ :gross: :doh:
I'm highly suspicious that DD will take 'anything' off the internet and print it on a disc.

Do they not worry about licensing issues?

I'm highly suspicious that DD will take 'anything' off the internet and print it on a disc.

Do they not worry about licensing issues?

They wont do any thing that is copy written or anything close to being copy written, unless you have the authorization to do so.

so cheech and chong, star wars, arnold, etc approved their likenesses to be stamped on dd discs?

Well, they also have copyrights, patents, etc they can enforce. Does Jeff? If not, tough...

What would really be shi**y for him would be if Innova went out and got the patent on the brainwave technique, if that would even be possible.

I wonder how Innova would feel if somebody tried to imitate the Roc, Teebird, or Firebird. They would probably be whining and crying all over facebook.

I to am fluent in sarcasm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts