• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

The Pro (not R-Pro) Katana will be released about Jan 10. Star Katanas will be released some time after the Pro Worlds Star Katanas are sold out. There are two types of Champion Katanas. The more stable stiffer Katana will probably stay in CFR. The softer version will probably be released shortly after the first of the year, I hope.

So I had a much longer post planned in my mind because today at lunch I threw my champ Katana along with my beat ESP force, a champ boss I had laying around and my go to Augusta wraith. I was going to say something about not being able to shape lines as well as the force and wraith but better than the boss and a few other things. Then I got to thinking that probably the negative parts of my review were going to come from the fact I don't know this disc as well as the force or wraith. I've only field thrown this thing 3 times compared to throwing the force for a few months now and the wraith for over a year. So I think I will hold off before doing a more in depth review.

I will say that this disc preforms much better for me at the 80% power level like the wraith, compared to the boss and force which preform better at the 90% and above power level.

Frank Delicious said:
So I had a much longer post planned in my mind because today at lunch I threw my champ Katana along with my beat ESP force, a champ boss I had laying around and my go to Augusta wraith. I was going to say something about not being able to shape lines as well as the force and wraith but better than the boss and a few other things. Then I got to thinking that probably the negative parts of my review were going to come from the fact I don't know this disc as well as the force or wraith. I've only field thrown this thing 3 times compared to throwing the force for a few months now and the wraith for over a year. So I think I will hold off before doing a more in depth review.

Your wisdom and forthought Mr. President is why you are entrusted with such great responsibility. :lol:

This disc is a temptress. I field threw it after work again and blasted some long long drives with it. I also threw a lot of average shots with it but those random long long drives are going to get this thing in the bag for a while.

discspeed said:
Your wisdom and forthought Mr. President is why you are entrusted with such great responsibility. :lol:

Ask not what the Katana can do for you, ask what you can do for the Katana.

I threw my Katanas at a ball golf DG course today a little. It was pretty windy and I rarely trusted throwing into a headwind on my first drive, but I threw it on a second drive many times and it actually held up as long as I didn't push 90%. Unfortunately none of the real long holes had tailwinds to really try to bomb it with.

just got a 167 Pro Katana. And it is Awesome!!!!! can't wait to get a couple more.

I wish they were in reg production already. and id have to say this is what i thought the Groove would be.

Threw the champ Katana some today out at the local ball golf/ disc golf course and really got some work in with it. What I learned is that there is a 50/50 chance I will either throw the crap out of this disc or it will flip over and keep tracking right for 400'.

Frank Delicious said:
Threw the champ Katana some today out at the local ball golf/ disc golf course and really got some work in with it. What I learned is that there is a 50/50 chance I will either throw the crap out of this disc or it will flip over and keep tracking right for 400'.

It sounds like I got some really stable Katanas. I have not really flipped mine yet. I'm doing the opposite, not trusting a flat throw, and basically making it look like a Boss in the air. I need to trust mine more and wipe the hyzer out of my release. Poppy dome 175 Katana is like a super fast Orc stability wise. If mine were truly a "speed 13 Sidewinder" I don't think it would have nearly as much utility value. I'm curious about the stiffer, more stable ones Dave D. talked about keeping in CFR...

discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:

It sounds like I got some really stable Katanas. I have not really flipped mine yet. I'm doing the opposite, not trusting a flat throw, and basically making it look like a Boss in the air. I need to trust mine more and wipe the hyzer out of my release. Poppy dome 175 Katana is like a super fast Orc stability wise. If mine were truly a "speed 13 Sidewinder" I don't think it would have nearly as much utility value. I'm curious about the stiffer, more stable ones Dave D. talked about keeping in CFR...

I had the opposite problem with my release, I wasn't trusting the hyzer enough when throwing it and would try to throw it flat or close to flat. I would like one that is a little more stable than the one I have, something that acts like a speed 13 valk instead of a sidewinder.

My pro 171 red ones are acting more like Valks for me in the field (flat ground). Really long and fast on a hyzer flip. They flip up to flat turn a little and fade at the end. The problem I've had with them is that I've been able to get them out there really well in the field but when I take them to the course they just don't seem to perform the same. Any kind of wind drastically effects the flight and the nose angle is really sensative. I have to take too much off of my throw for this to be my d driver I think. Plus I'm still able to get a pro destroyer out there to katana distance more times than not and more predictibly. Occasionally the katana just goes and doesn't want to come down 20 feet by the destroyer, I just can't do it consistently every time. My opinion is still up in the air about these. I'm not sure if I love them or hate them.

I got one 169 pro, flat-topped katana and took it to a longish, open course around socal, whittier narrows. My distance drives are usually 325 - 350: i dont have a big arm.

The katana immediately gave me birdie opportunities on 6 holes (converted 4) that ive never been close to out there. It immediately gave me 30 - 40 more feet on every drive.

I wouldnt say that it flipped up to flat when hyzered, but it did turn over a bit.

i'd say that for players with less power, it will be very valuable. there was little to no wind to speak of, and i had no problem controlling it: with a tiny amount of hyzer, it flies flat and glides and fades medium/hard left (but that fade is typical for pretty much any new driver.)

I didn't try anhyzering it much (that's why i learned to forehand after all), but i did give that a try on 18 (for those who know the course) and had no problem with it keeping it's line and parking the hole.

as long as you have a decent snap, this disc will carry.

(background on my game that may help some folks figure out if this disc would be an aid: i usually throw hyzerflipped sidewinders and beat-up pro wraiths for distance, and get to 350 if it's a good rip and wind is right; i throw orion LFs for control drives, and those are always 300-310, straight. i use a simple three step walk-up.)

mzuleger said:
mzuleger said:
I got to throw mine a couple times this weekend and so far this disc seems to be all hype... then again I'm having some serious nose-angle issues lately.

I'm pretty disappointed with this disc... I've been throwing my 175g champ back to back with a 175g boss and I can't tell a difference in stability between the 2.

I'll have to check out a pro once they're in normal production.

I finally got a couple good rips with the champtana and I can see what all the hype is about... I still want to check out a protana though.

mzuleger said:
mzuleger said:
mzuleger said:
I got to throw mine a couple times this weekend and so far this disc seems to be all hype... then again I'm having some serious nose-angle issues lately.

I'm pretty disappointed with this disc... I've been throwing my 175g champ back to back with a 175g boss and I can't tell a difference in stability between the 2.

I'll have to check out a pro once they're in normal production.

I finally got a couple good rips with the champtana and I can see what all the hype is about... I still want to check out a protana though.
ill trade you 2 for your champ

can anyone give me a good comparison for rim width? Picture would be awesome, but I'd imagine it's wide rimmed since its so fast, like a boss?

Since I like my Pro Bosses so much I was thinking of taking the Katana out, but after some more testing I really like the Katana on tighter distance holes, especially when I need to hit a gap off the tee. The Katana responds to a lower velocity throw better than the PB. The PB rules out in the open though, where the Katana is not as impressive. I was throwing the Katana really well in the rain yesterday where I didn't have to worry about throwing it really hard.

I absolutely love the pro boss and I know I can trust it for the long holes because I know its not going to flip over on me. But D-Damn that Katana will glide forever.
There is this hole at one of my local courses that is 501ft. and it is wide open with one big ass tree right in front of the hole that has a lot of low branches so you have to either go to the left or right of that tree to get a look at the basket. I actually birdied it the other day from about 30ft for the first time by throwing the pro boss.
So then the next time I played the hole I tried the katana out to see if I could get this thing any where close to that same spot. And to my surprise I was able to put it on a very strong hyzer and with a lot of snap I flipped this thing over and watched it sail for a very long time until at the very end of its flight it hooked up and finished back right (Im a lefty if you didnt see the user name). I thought for sure that it would be to the tree but no further. So I searched and searched until I finally found it 5-10ft past the basket off to the left about 15 ft. No doubt an awesome disc to throw but def still dont trust that thing if it was an actual tourney round as I did throw it again on nearly the same release on the same hole and it flipped over and never came out of it.
But I will be throwing this thing when I do any distance compitions for sure. And then I may start practicing my roller and using it for big anny shots.