• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] INNOVA Naming mistakes/mold change without a name change

Valk did change when the viking came out. It went from being labeled as a VK to a VL and the wing changed as well. I strongly believe the old valk is what the viking is now and maybe they had an "L" version that became the new valk.

ok so just to clarify for any confusion
the 11xfb and 12xfb are the same mold, the 12x's just cooled different and domed up. Those 12x's are less overstable than the 11xfbs. 11xfbs are flat and beefy. However I noticed after I bought some asia open fbs that they made a new core. So the fb has a new core as of recently. But the new molds havnt made it to retailers yet according to dave d. So I'd say if ur counting ce fbs too,theres more molds.
ce fx
ce f
ce fl
fl
x
and the new cored fbs. W/ the www tooling

but for making it easy. There's only x molds and l molds.

cefx,fx,new www tooled fbs are the same,just different abbreviations. The ce f,cefl,and fl are the same as well,just different abbreviations again.
rhynos,theres 2. Ranchos and ontarios. No difference other than the change in tooling.

as far as the labeling on the destroyers,as I've said time andtime again,thats just a specific persons wayof abbreviating them. No hange really. Now when you tlk eagle l and eagle x yes.the abreviation hange has a purpose then

confusing? Yes indeed.

oh. Almost forgot. The whole beefier bosses in light weights. Those are referred to as starlite . Not a mold change but confusing still because all it refers to is the boss in lighter weight star material. If they continue the starlite moniker,itll just confuse people even more.

Threads like these give me ammo for shyt-talk at the course. Also, they put my monies anywhere but there.

Just a couple days ago, a guy pulled two Eagles out of his bag and said: "Oh but they're so different." They were nothing alike. I assume one was an Eagle-X... I don't know which is which, and I don't care. For a company that 'pioneered' this sport... they really don't have an ounce of care these days. I feel for every one new to the sport, and have a desire to learn what is what. Because it's impossible if Innova is what they have to judge by. Industries should have standards. It's called Industry Standards. I just recieved the 'Universal Disc Chart' from Marshall Street. Thank god there are some third parties to clean up this mess.

Yeah, industry standards. Like Gateway is any better. Even discraft has issues. I guess thats what happens when you make more discs than anyone else. Just wait till Lat 64 is able to push out a few more runs, then there will be all kinds of differences for them as well. The only people I don't see as having run issues is Vibram, however so much of their tester stuff changes if you liked it and didn't know it changed you'd be a little sad (dgdave loved the untooled first test of the VP's...).

Yeah, industry standards. Like Gateway is any better. Even discraft has issues. I guess thats what happens when you make more discs than anyone else. Just wait till Lat 64 is able to push out a few more runs, then there will be all kinds of differences for them as well. The only people I don't see as having run issues is Vibram, however so much of their tester stuff changes if you liked it and didn't know it changed you'd be a little sad (dgdave loved the untooled first test of the VP's...).

I hope you're wrong. I have high hopes for L64. As for Discraft: atleast when a change is made intentionally... you know about it. Prototype this; prototype that. For instance, the Nuke Plus. Vibram is awesome tho. I was impressed to see they pressed putters from a slug. I'll bet pressing is less inclined to be effected by atmospheric changes. Not that I know this to be fact... just an educated assumtion.

Industries should have standards. It's called Industry Standards.

Industries only follow standards that are enforced by a regulatory agency. Companies are constantly trying to skirt industry standards and regulations because they usually mean more work/money. The way Innova does it is to tweak molds and release them under the same name to avoid getting a disc reapproved and to keep name recognition.

You should probably hate less on the company that does what every company out there does and hate more on the lack of a real regulatory agency. Innova has no incentive to not exploit loopholes or bend the rules the PDGA sets down. It's not like they will get punished for their actions.

i saw in borgs bag the other day he has a nightshift sidewinder..anyone know anything bout these? sure would love to get my hands on one or at least know what to look for

ive got 3 side winders one dx, star (both 175 g) and a 170g champ. and the star/champ are very different from the dx. dx is real flippy like it should be but the star and champ fly considerably more stable. think its cause the flight plate has more of a dome shape to it instead of being flat like the dx. weird.

different plastics don't constitute different molds nor tooling only changes...i mean changing the mold and not clearly changing the names.

First the Bad---correct me at anytime and i'll update the list at the top with info
Valkyrie-i didn't know but the early ones might have been VK and now they are L molded or VL
Eagle X and L but no way to tell from stamps
Boss pro/r pro different mold than champ star xg
Roc R plus, ontario, SM, Rancho, 11x, 10x, 8x
Beast old mold new mold
Aviar way too many molds/types to have the same name
Firebirds- okay the plastic made the disc mold up different but now the tooling on the firebirds(ie asian opens are different) www.com now
Starfire- i think pro starfires made a big fu nad went L mold
Teerex- X, and i think it may have had about 3 molds at least
teebird-With what we currently know as the TeeBird, you have two different wings (that I don't think are truly different aside from the tooling), the 'I'nnova CA tooled (11X KC Pro, later 11X, and 12X) and the 'l'nnova CAL (CE, 9 & 10X KC Pro, and early 11X). TLs also have this wing tooling variation, but I'm not sure what runs comprised each wing. There is also the TeeBird+ which unfortunately is part of the same family despite being completely different as well.
FL see firebird or pro firebird newer ones are fl
SL see starfire the pro change
TL see teebird, CE teebirds are tls sometimes
Whippet has X mold too right?
teebird plus groan!
Rhyno two different toolings but the mold didn't change.
Gator with and without bead right
Classic Roc it is named roc so confusing to people
Monster There is a monster x and l.
Gazelle
Cheetah
Cobra
Stingray
Sidewinder appears the star champs changed with spacer added to copy LS
Coyote- old mold and new mold
The good molds-one name one mold
xcaliber
Destroyer molds up different but
Groove hahahaha
Katana
Monarch
Orc
Max
Viking
Rdrunner
Archangel...is there another mold of this
Dragon
Banshee
Leopard
Viper
Spider
Cro
Skeeter
Mako
Panther
Kite
Shark
Pig
Hydra
Aero
Dart- retooled goblin but they changed the name so it is okay.

arent the new Discmania Gremlins a beadless Gremlin - which was a Ching Sniper?

My friend throws Gremlins but I'm not too familiar with them. Could be mistaken...

maybe Discraft can start making Reapers again...
with or without a name change i'd be happy.

Latest posts