• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova StarLite

given that the ad (or whatever it is) says it is a process similar to Blizzard I've got money that says these are not like the "starlite" stabilized destroyers/bosses that we know of

such discs are some of the most overstable versions of those molds out there

i agree with this. i think the original starlite was an accident. the local pias still gets starlite bosses in stock every now and then. since the bubbles aren't as noticeable in star plastic the name starlite was probably used instead of blizzard star. we'll know soon enough if these discs have that same grainy texture as starlite bosses and destroyers. the stabilization process on something like a roadrunner just seems silly.

So how can you tell if a light star boss is a "starlite"?

It will usually have a grainy look to the plastic, especially on the edges of the disc, sometimes it appears to have tiny dots all over almost like its sparkle plastic. This is not always the case though, as I have some with no dots but are very gummy star type. Besides that, it will be freakishly overstable when you throw it and they are 165-169g I believe

I like how Innova just throws whatever into the cauldron. How much newt's toes are in this mixture of starlight? Why would you make an understable mold in a super beefy plastic that is light? Seems like just something else that will act weird in the stronger winds and have quality control issues. Are these geared to that demographic of women players who demand a stamp that coordinates but still need a beefy light driver because they oat a forehand? I see any guys on the course with that pink roadrunner I'm laughing.

A lot of people are clamoring for more 150 class discs, even understable stuff. It seems like the days of max-weight-or-nada might be coming to a close. Lighter plastic will help clean up your form more and will lessen the load in your bag. Thrown correctly, the light stuff bombs.

That being said, the stamp belongs in Boogie Nights. Hopefully after this first run they will retool the stamp, as it might be what holds some of it back.

Who am I kidding? I throw a PD and that stamp is atrocious. If it flies well, no one will care what it looks like.

It will usually have a grainy look to the plastic, especially on the edges of the disc, sometimes it appears to have tiny dots all over almost like its sparkle plastic. This is not always the case though, as I have some with no dots but are very gummy star type. Besides that, it will be freakishly overstable when you throw it and they are 165-169g I believe

yeah and they are mostly blue, light blue, and yellow. i have seen other colors too but never a pink one.

I throw roadrunners and the idea of the discs being a touch more stable might work well for selling them without plus rimming the disc.

so same mold/feel but flight will be more stable. roadrunners might just glide so well that they can use the use it to make it more of a teebird with more glide.

I think learning to throw a RR on a hyzer line might be more useful but again many believe the disc is the key to throwing not field work and putting.

people rag on the discmania stamps but i actually like the freak stamp. some of them are goofy though...i don't quite get the chimp on the td stamp.

A lot of people are clamoring for more 150 class discs, even understable stuff. It seems like the days of max-weight-or-nada might be coming to a close. Lighter plastic will help clean up your form more and will lessen the load in your bag. Thrown correctly, the light stuff bombs.

That being said, the stamp belongs in Boogie Nights. Hopefully after this first run they will retool the stamp, as it might be what holds some of it back.

Who am I kidding? I throw a PD and that stamp is atrocious. If it flies well, no one will care what it looks like.

But what is the point in taking an understable mold like the roadrunner and doing a run of it in a plastic that, from what I've read in this thread, is supposed to give you light discs that are super beefy? You've already got light star discs that people enjoy and while your quality control is hurting with the blizzard drivers they are pushing full speed ahead on this plastic? Seems like a money grab to me. Get as much money now as you can from your customers and when they realize the disc sucks you stop production and run it from your factory seconds every so often. I just prefer the way other companies are testing and releasing new products. Discraft with ace race protos and companies like MVP and Lat64 that take their time and give you a finished product at release. :popcorn:

But what is the point in taking an understable mold like the roadrunner and doing a run of it in a plastic that, from what I've read in this thread, is supposed to give you light discs that are super beefy? You've already got light star discs that people enjoy and while your quality control is hurting with the blizzard drivers they are pushing full speed ahead on this plastic? Seems like a money grab to me. Get as much money now as you can from your customers and when they realize the disc sucks you stop production and run it from your factory seconds every so often. I just prefer the way other companies are testing and releasing new products. Discraft with ace race protos and companies like MVP and Lat64 that take their time and give you a finished product at release. :popcorn:

I'm with you on that, and most of my bag has veered away from Innova, just because I am such a big fan of Latitude. But I also think a lot of the crazy stable talk in this thread - like in every other thread before a release - is speculation. Nowhere in their advertisement did Innova say they are aiming to make a more stable Roadrunner in 150 class. In fact, they already have that. It's called a Valkyrie.

But since we are speculating, here is what I think: Innova is trying to gear toward a) kids b) older players who are trying to save their arms and c) women. Yes, it may come off as opportunistic and look like a money grab because of the success of Blizzard, but if I were them, I would do it too. Business is business, and if the market allows them to make this, then so be it. We can all speak with our wallets by either snatching them up or leaving them on the shelves.

i doubt they do an entire line of freakishly overstable 150 class discs, the name starlite was just a poor name choice the second time around. that's what they briefly called those bosses and destroyers (i've heard of katanas too but have never seen one in person) and now that they are going to use the name again people assume that they're gonna be meathooks.

I'm with you on that, and most of my bag has veered away from Innova, just because I am such a big fan of Latitude. But I also think a lot of the crazy stable talk in this thread - like in every other thread before a release - is speculation. Nowhere in their advertisement did Innova say they are aiming to make a more stable Roadrunner in 150 class. In fact, they already have that. It's called a Valkyrie.

But since we are speculating, here is what I think: Innova is trying to gear toward a) kids b) older players who are trying to save their arms and c) women. Yes, it may come off as opportunistic and look like a money grab because of the success of Blizzard, but if I were them, I would do it too. Business is business, and if the market allows them to make this, then so be it. We can all speak with our wallets by either snatching them up or leaving them on the shelves.

This is a highly valid point. Blizzard discs were originally marketed as being for weaker armed players, but because everyone reads forums and thinks that everyone and their paraplegic grandmother can throw 400ft+, they thought that maybe the Blizz was made for them and would get them out of the "inferior" 300 - 399ft range. If people didn't gobble up blizz plastic like doritos dusted with cocaine, Innova wouldn't have a financial incentive to pump them out like crap from a foie Gras duck and the quality control wouldn't go to hell.

This is a highly valid point. Blizzard discs were originally marketed as being for weaker armed players, but because everyone reads forums and thinks that everyone and their paraplegic grandmother can throw 400ft+, they thought that maybe the Blizz was made for them and would get them out of the "inferior" 300 - 399ft range. If people didn't gobble up blizz plastic like doritos dusted with cocaine, Innova wouldn't have a financial incentive to pump them out like crap from a foie Gras duck and the quality control wouldn't go to hell.

Are you blaming their poor quality control on the consumers?

Also...my paraplegic grandmother only throws 250

if i can find some i'll be getting one for my lady and one for me. i bet you can bomb one of those. if you cant throw a roadrunner on a hyzer flip line, then you need to check your form torque monkey.

I have a starlite Katna from the JO/AO days
It is an amazing disc even after many beat downs

Cant understand the reasoning behind making a RR out of it at all unless it is just for kids

If they stick to retro 80's colors, I think the stamp looks sick. Burn-your eyes out neon orange with teal...I'd get one.

This. "Starlite" makes me think all rollerskate retro, and that stamp fits that theme perfect. Since I'm throwing RRs anyway, I'll buy one for fits and giggles. Especially in bubblegum /foil green.

"bold new graphics" lol, looks a lot like the stamps on discraft stuff from the 80's. Just another way to make a buck I guess.

Latest posts