• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Whale

Bump. What an interestingly odd disc. :thmbup:

Used it as my circle putter and threw it a few times. Wow this thing is HSS! If it was more rounded it would be a Wizard stand in. Kind of like the depth especially for pitch putting.

I picked up a Whale for my 13 year old that is almost 6ft tall and has a very impressive forehand. He LOVES it for flicks 150ft and in because it doesn't turn on him. It actually feels pretty good, too.

It's "just" a blatant and accurate copy of the Dagger, which is a very good thing if you prefer to throw Innova. The Dagger is a perfect putting putter and so is the Whale.

The Whale is not only straight as low speeds, but is superior in the wind and at high speeds. Mate it with a Rhyno or Pig for windy days on the course

:eek: :gross: that's a bit of a marketing stretch it seems.. Bad picture for sure lol.

my glow champ whale is very firm. When driving it shows good hss and still a minimal fade. I would tag it slow and predictable with great glide. There is more hss as well as fade when compared with my 2 first run xt whales. glows above agerage as well.

Been putting XT Whales for a while now. Have not seen any Innova pros putting these and I'm a little surprised. Feel like they have more HSS and less LSS than a KC Aviar. Decent glide but also a reliable drop rate so as to not run too far past the basket. Anyone know any KC Aviar guys that switched to this?

Seems like so many players obsessed with McPro Aviars but I see a lot of 3 putts due to overruns.

Already have a DX and XT Whale. Just purchased another DX along with a second DX Stud. Both are competing to be my in the circle putter. Think the Whale may win out and the Stud will be used off the tee and for approaches but the Whale does a good job of that as well.

Been putting XT Whales for a while now. Have not seen any Innova pros putting these and I'm a little surprised. Feel like they have more HSS and less LSS than a KC Aviar. Decent glide but also a reliable drop rate so as to not run too far past the basket. Anyone know any KC Aviar guys that switched to this?

Seems like so many players obsessed with McPro Aviars but I see a lot of 3 putts due to overruns.

Many pros appear to prefer a slightly OS putter. The McPro Aviar is 2,3,0,2 (to get those flight numbers mentioned, there). The Prodigy pros seem to use the PA-1 a lot vs. the PA-4. I'm sure many pros do use stable/understable putters, but the trend appears to be towards the stable/OS side, which is not the Whale's forté.

Excellent disc, I've thrown my buddies around a lot since I first posted. It's simply an aviar dead in between a KC/P2 and a P&A in stability. If you love aviars and that sounds like the perfect stability to you than buy a whale. The XT plastic feels amazing if you like a VERY grippy, slightly soft, but not at all floppy putter. Perfect for throwing straight shots and putts. If I was sponsored by Innova I would use a P&A for putting because it's less overstable than the whale and either a whale or a P2 (irrelevant to me) for straight throws from 50-250 and any short hyzers or anhyzers really. Talk about a mega versatile slow disc.

Many pros appear to prefer a slightly OS putter. The McPro Aviar is 2,3,0,2 (to get those flight numbers mentioned, there). The Prodigy pros seem to use the PA-1 a lot vs. the PA-4. I'm sure many pros do use stable/understable putters, but the trend appears to be towards the stable/OS side, which is not the Whale's forté.

?

I was arguing that the Whale is is a stable / OS putter with superior characteristics to those that have been available longer. I'm saying its a better version of the KC big bead Aviar which is more stable (but slower) than the no-bead McPro Aviar. It's more high speed stable and less low speed stable - exactly what you would want in a putter.

Last edited:
Anyone bag an Whale or is the mold destined to go OOP? There's no talk about this mold on DGCR anymore. I've only seen one person with a Whale in their bag in person... If you bag the Whale do you use it as your driving or putting putter?

Ive thrown one. They are super nice driving putters. Really straight and fairly high speed stable. I think it flies similar to the nova without the weird thwump noise when you release it or the weird grip the nova has

Anyone bag an Whale or is the mold destined to go OOP? There's no talk about this mold on DGCR anymore. I've only seen one person with a Whale in their bag in person... If you bag the Whale do you use it as your driving or putting putter?

Methinks as long as Mr. Dave Dunipace likes the Whale, they'll be in production.

As to who is using them? I don't hear anyone at all talking about the Aviar P&A, but apparently they're selling well also. So who knows if the Whale is in use out there or not. Probably more than we hear about...

I complained about putting so much that we had a contest of what putter I should stick with for a year. I gave several options of what I was willing to try out and the XT Whale won/lost. So, I am for better or worse stuck with XT and Champ Glow Whales until June of next year.

Inside of 20 feet, I have no problems with them. I have traditionally had issues with either putting low and hitting the front cage, or putting at the correct height but missing to the right. Not that my putting woes have gone away with the Whales, but within 20, definitely within 15, unless I completely sally the putt, I have not had many misses. However, for reasons I cannot explain, all bets are off at 22.5 feet. I am not sure about why that exact distance, but I could miss anywhere with no consistency.

I have a Gold Line Pure that I start using from that distance, and more recently I have been attempting long range putts with my ESP Comet. Just for the fun of it, after a couple of drives with my ESP Zone, I even putted with that. Basically, I have so little confidence with the Whale as a putter that once this experiment is over next June, I am likely going to be trying something else. Six years ago I was having mild success with the Voodoo, and I have been itching to give it a try again. I only went away from it because for a short time I was obsessed with making a Trilogy bag work.

For a driving putter, the Whale is decent, but I easily rate the Wizard and Ion above it. Unless there is some serious wind (but not enough for the Zone) or serious elevation drop, I always reach for my Pure first.

However, for reasons I cannot explain, all bets are off at 22.5 feet. I am not sure about why that exact distance, but I could miss anywhere with no consistency.

Basically, I have so little confidence with the Whale as a putter that once this experiment is over next June, I am likely going to be trying something else.

IMHO, life's too short. Start trying something else NOW. Go with what works for you. Have more fun.

Your comment about 22.5 feet is interesting. I'm pretty consistent at 20 feet (6/6 in practice after I get warmed up), but then I go to the 25 ft. marker and it's different. I'll stop practicing after I hit a 5/6 set, but it often takes me several tries to get that 5/6. Right in between those distances there is just something that makes the putt different. I'll bet most players have that "line of demarcation" at some distance, though the length of it will vary from person to person.

How does it compare to the P2?

Less overstable, more just straight. They hold a line pretty well. But if you throw them on hyzer dont expect much hyzer movement they just kind of drop and go straight.

Yea. The one DX whale that I messed around with was more or less as a DX Aviar P&A....with a bead

Yea. The one DX whale that I messed around with was more or less as a DX Aviar P&A....with a bead

That's a pretty good description, it has less glide though.

I tried a DX and an XT for a while last fall. Not a bad straight flying driving putter, but I just hate how any V-Tech rim feels in my hand, especially for putting. I still fool around with the DX Whale every once in a while to see if maybe I'll grow to like it, but my assessment is it's a jack of all trades master of none type of disc.