• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Whale

Whale is Innova's Dagger but with less glide. I'm not surprised smarkquart is getting more over the front of the basket on shorter putts, they glide more. As for the longer putt, I'd suggest visualizing putting down a narrow hallway not much wider than the chains. Whales are fairly HSS but the LSS isn't as much as you'd expect so you don't have to aim your hyzer off the right to allow it to hyzer/fall off into the chains as it slows down.

Keep it on a hyzer and throw it at the heart and it'll hit the heart. Putting on a hyzer will allow you to be more aggressive as you'll be less likely to miss right and your left misses will probably be because you scared about missing a silly little >20' comebacker:p;):D

Whale is Innova's Dagger but with less glide. I'm not surprised smarkquart is getting more over the front of the basket on shorter putts, they glide more. As for the longer putt, I'd suggest visualizing putting down a narrow hallway not much wider than the chains. Whales are fairly HSS but the LSS isn't as much as you'd expect so you don't have to aim your hyzer off the right to allow it to hyzer/fall off into the chains as it slows down.

Keep it on a hyzer and throw it at the heart and it'll hit the heart. Putting on a hyzer will allow you to be more aggressive as you'll be less likely to miss right and your left misses will probably be because you scared about missing a silly little >20' comebacker:p;):D

My issue is all technical, and I am willing to admit that.

When I am most accurate, it is almost all snap of the wrist like a flicking motion. However, when I try to get more power behind it, for putts outside of 20 feet, there is more of my arm swiveling at the shoulder. I am not totally conscious of the motion, muscle-memory and natural body motion has me taking what was supposed to be releasing straight ahead actually come out to the right. If I underpower it and depend more on its lift, it usually fades back in on the right side of the chains. If I give it enough power to smash the chains, it is not coming back in time and I cleanly miss to the right. However, when I consciously attempt to release straight ahead, sometimes this has me unconsciously aiming low, hence hitting the front of the cage.

Basically, what I am saying is that I am more than aware that I have horrible muscle memory built into my putting style, but I do not feel like there is much I can do to correct it. Instead, I have been trying to find the perfect putter to fit into my style. That has been the running joke among my group and thus them suggesting I just stick it out with a putter and try to adjust my style around it. I just have so little confidence with the Whale right now because it has been over three months of using it exclusively 30 feet and in and I have not seen any signs of improvement.

I feel ya. Putting is about confidence and if you've got a bad mojo about a disc, it ain't going in. You're right its muscle memory and if you're thinking about some kind of compensation to make it work you've already lost.

I tried a lot of putters before I found the Dagger (Wizard, Magic, Ion, Voodoo, Warlock, Anode, Zone, Yeti, Aviar, Pure, Judge current driving putter, Pa1, Pa2, Pa4, Harp, then the Dagger). I think its good to try a few to see what feels best... hopefully try your friends so you don't go broke. I'm still trying putters, Shield, Atom and over the last year put the Harp back in and now carry a couple. Nowadays, I feel putting is one of the strengths of my game but I got to admit to some 50,000+ practice putts.

It wouldn't surprise me if you lightened up on your grip a bit you'd make more longer putts. That snap/flick motion will hold the disc on your line and a lighter grip means you have to track it further down the line plus the added benefit of imparting more spin and more spin means more stability, as in straighter. Also, practice from 20' a lot then in a few months move back a step, and so on. peace

Last edited:
Anyone bag an Whale or is the mold destined to go OOP? There's no talk about this mold on DGCR anymore. I've only seen one person with a Whale in their bag in person... If you bag the Whale do you use it as your driving or putting putter?

I love it as an approach and driving putter. Thrown flat with good speed it's a beeline slow boat. XT feels great.

Alex Geisenger's latest ITB has him putting kc whales. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnnJHyu3MQ

I'm interested to try this. The whale has always struck me as similar to the dagger, if that's accurate, then this should be a kc dagger. I'd try one...

I tried some early XT whales and they were definitely deep like a dagger but they also had a higher shoulder with some dome where daggers are always flat in my experience. Hopefully KC molds to flatter but I wouldn't bet on it. Let us know if you manage to buy some.

Loving my first run xt. Great thrower and I like the release a tic better than my DXBB. I don't putt with it that's the Polekitties job

I love it as an approach and driving putter. Thrown flat with good speed it's a beeline slow boat. XT feels great.

I just picked up a couple Glow Champ Whales. I won them in a tournament last weekend. I putt Dagger right now but the Whale feels so similar I figured like its a premium plastic DAgger. I'll use it for upshots and short throws basically. I like Glow Champ. I like the idea of a slow boat straight HSS disc.

I really like the Whale. I'm too invested in Aviars and Rhynos to ever switch but it's a fun discs to throw. The flight is consistent and it flies the same line whether it's a 30% throw or a 110% throw. It takes all the power you can give It and has that nice dead straight flight. On full power rips it has a little drift right and then just floats back on line with not much fade to finish. One of the straightest out of the box discs I've thrown. I haven't tried a Champ one yet but KC Pros sound sweet. Nice disc and I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more. Maybe the name...

Update: put a DX Whale in a recent online order, and it came in the mail. I took it to the course for some familiarization.

On putts, the Whale did well for me. Grip is decent, bead didn't bother me in feel or throw. It flew pretty straight on in-the-circle putts. In fact, as my round was going on, I remarked to myself how similar to my Classic Warden it flew on putts. Same flight paths out of the hand to the basket.

On longer putts and short approach throws, the Whale showed that it had some fade. That could be a function of the Whale having a bit less glide than the Warden.

On longer approaches, I didn't have that many throwing opportunities with it, but I did have one park job, while the other approach sailed long (didn't hyzer as I expected it to).

All in all, the Whale is not a bad disc at all. Probably won't beat out my Wardens, but I'll have some fun with it from time to time.

Update: used the Whale as the throwing putter today. It's straight with a finishing fade when thrown flat. Hyzer flips very well. Held up well against a mild but persistent wind today. Not super glidey, though. Overall, good disc and would be very reliable with practice.

Saw that - I kept my Whale. Special disc. Special at what I don't know.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/kc-pro-whale.html

If you thought the Wombat3 was "for the love of all things unnecessary," Innova's outdoing themselves again...

The Whale is a good putting putter and a decent straight throwing putter. Yes, the Wombat3 was truly a solution seeking a problem to answer, but the Whale has good uses. Might do very well in KC Pro. I'm interested in trying one out...

After a year of battle between S-line P2 vs Fluid Warden as my throwing putter the Champion Whale came in and stole that slot in my bag.
I´m very supriced, but i really like the feel and flight of the Whale

Latest posts