• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Xt

Dan Howard

Double Eagle Member
Sorry if it's already been discussed but has anyone dyed an XT Nova? I've had good luck with the regular Atlas' but now I have someone interested in an XT Nova and I don't like the way it feels.

I haven't seen any of them dyed.... they feel a little waxy to me... and that makes me think that they wont take.

i have found that sharpie paint markers work very well on XT novas

I'm sure any kind of paint would work well.

Also makes them illegal for tourney play, which defeats the purpose of dyeing in the first place.

Also, welcome to the forums :D

I'm on the fence about trying the Nova. Looks like a lot of glide, and lots of pros are using them.

But yeah, I'm with Dan --- If a disc can't be dyed, it's gonna have to fight to get in my bag :)

I have an XT Nova waiting to be dyed, but it's owner has no idea what they want on it. I'll bug him about it and see if I can try dyeing it soon.

He could just buy a Nova in pro plastic. That way you would be using a plastic that people have dyed before. But I'm interested in how the XT plastic handles a dye, so please post a pic once done!

I know what he wants on it now, so I'll throw that one to the top of the pile. All I have to do first is finish cutting the stencil I am currently doing to free up the light board, then we'll have our answer.

...unless Dan dyes his first. :)

He could just buy a Nova in pro plastic. That way you would be using a plastic that people have dyed before. But I'm interested in how the XT plastic handles a dye, so please post a pic once done!

There is only one type of Nova... The stamp just changed because they hadn't come up with the xt name yet when it came out. The few xt dye jobs I've seen on ebay look more tinted the dyed. Dunno the caliber of the seller, maybe one of the experts on here could get it to take some nice solid colors.

So my friend wanted Bucky Badger on his XT Nova. I finished my other stencil, and got Bucky taped to the light board. Then I decided to make sure the stamp comes off nice before cutting. Turns out that was a good idea because the stamps on XT are f-ing impossible to get off.

This is as far as I could get it off after scrubbing with copious amounts of acetone for a couple minutes.

I am still going to dye this, but with a small WI 'W' in the center, and then some sort of red tye dye.

But not a promising start for XT :gross:

Attachments

• xtstamp.jpg
    xtstamp.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 89
I'm not a dyer, but I couldn't fully remove the stamps on the two x-line P1Xs I ordered from Discmania either. The foil came off fine, but that stamp is buried in the flight plate.

I haven't tried to dye a whole lot of non-premium plastics, but XT is definitely the most dye resistant plastic I have tried. Since I couldn't get the stamp off I just put a small WI W in the center of the disc.

The black parts were in dye for 50 hours, with the dye being reheated probably 5-6 times. The red was in for 24 and was reheated 3 times.

All in all it turned out OK, but I bet it'll fade fast.

Attachments

• W.jpg
    W.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 75
Geez that's a lot of hours for that little of dye actually taking...

On the flip side, those are some nice, sharp lines.