• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is a forehand worth the trouble for me? (LHBH - RHFH)

Staple Gun

I throw an LHBH right now. The problem is that I throw forehand with my right hand, so I get the same left-to-right motion either way. I know a lot of people like to have a forehand shot in their repertoire so they can curve the disc both ways but for me this isn't possible. Is the time spent learning a good forehand shot even useful for me, or should I concentrate on other things?

Edit: Oops, I thought I was posting this in Start & technique, can a mod move it if possible?

Even though the left-right is the same it's not exactly the same line. Specifically, a FH can hit lower lines and tunnels than a BH can IMO. Might behoove you to learn it just so you can move on to FH rollers which are very handy.

Why not learn LHFH?

I wouldn't bother learning RHBH and LHFH - or the opposite as in your case... Too similar.

...Might behoove you to learn it just so you can move on to FH rollers which are very handy.

I have yet to learn the FH roller. I have almost perfected the BH roller but cant seem to execute a FH roller very well.... it just dies out on me. Time to get out into the field and practice this shot I guess.:\

Only one reason I can think of would be line shaping. With FH shots it's easier to turn over faster and/or more overstable discs at shorter distance throws. That can allow for some pretty cool shots in tight situations.

Why not learn LHFH?

I wouldn't bother learning RHBH and LHFH - or the opposite as in your case... Too similar.

I can't throw LHFH, I throw a baseball right handed so throwing LHFH is like throwing a baseball with my opposite hand for me, it's not gonna work. I would have a better chance of learning a RHBH but thats pretty awkward for me too.

Only one reason I can think of would be line shaping. With FH shots it's easier to turn over faster and/or more overstable discs at shorter distance throws. That can allow for some pretty cool shots in tight situations.

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking. I've tried to learn in the past but I'm not consistent at all and I'm not sure if I ever will be consistent enough with FH to throw it in a round. I just don't know if the small gain is worth the time spent learning it.

a huge part of my game is midrange forehand. My tee shot is backhand, as the disc usually skips into the left hand side of the lane/rough...the result of the shot is a limited backhand shot lane...but all sorts of side arm possibilities. I would highly recommend a rhyno for this shot or even gator. the r-pro ryhno will land soft, but the disc can take the snap of the sidearm.

Backhand all day, but the sidearm midrange game pays the billz....and at least has doubled my ability as a player.:thmbup:

a huge part of my game is midrange forehand. My tee shot is backhand, as the disc usually skips into the left hand side of the lane/rough...the result of the shot is a limited backhand shot lane...but all sorts of side arm possibilities. I would highly recommend a rhyno for this shot or even gator. the r-pro ryhno will land soft, but the disc can take the snap of the sidearm.

Backhand all day, but the sidearm midrange game pays the billz....and at least has doubled my ability as a player.:thmbup:

Are you the same as me? (LHBH - RHFH). I seem to have about 1-2 shots per round that a forehand would be significantly easier so it would definetly be useful. Currently there's no way I would throw a forehand if I have any sort of backhand line though.

Also, I have an r-pro rhyno, I'll have to go practice with that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

I seem to have about 1-2 shots per round that a forehand would be significantly easier so it would definetly be useful. Currently there's no way I would throw a forehand if I have any sort of backhand line though.

It appears you have provided the answer to your own question here. Yes, learning a forehand is worth the trouble.

I was one of those players who only used a forehand as a last resort and kept saying "I need to learn a forehand" until fairly recently. While my forehand is still a work in progress, it's a useable shot for me now. What worked for me was going to the local pitch and putt course and playing forehand only rounds. If I wasn't putting, it was a forehand. This worked so much better for me than field practice and took less time than I had imagined.

Last edited:
yeah learn a FH. ive been working on mine lately and its saved me a TON of strokes, particularly when playing a mountain course up here. where the air is thinner, discs dont turn over as easily. mine only gets out to about 300', but i killed the hommies on that course with it because i had a controllable, natural shot that ended heading right.

never know when youre going to need a good FH shot. :thmbup:

I had a similar experience. I used to be a RHFHer and had to switch to LHBH and I'm so glad I did. I can't FH anymore but I have developed a RHBH as well. I would say work on two BH's because the weight transfer and mechanics are easier to learn together than two different shots/throws. Just learn the same throw with both hands. I have a 350 LH and 280 RH and they actually get better together because I'm just switching the motion. I like it, and I'm still slowly getting better.

I throw an LHBH right now. The problem is that I throw forehand with my right hand, so I get the same left-to-right motion either way. I know a lot of people like to have a forehand shot in their repertoire so they can curve the disc both ways but for me this isn't possible. Is the time spent learning a good forehand shot even useful for me, or should I concentrate on other things?

Edit: Oops, I thought I was posting this in Start & technique, can a mod move it if possible?

It's worth it, trust me. I'm doing the same. RHBH here and learning RHFH. I can't bomb it FH by a long shot, probably push about 300 - 325 at the max, but it's saved my game, some aspects, big time with regards to using the FH instead throwing an understable disc to achieve the same line/shot (more touchy option)

Are you the same as me? (LHBH - RHFH). I seem to have about 1-2 shots per round that a forehand would be significantly easier so it would definetly be useful. Currently there's no way I would throw a forehand if I have any sort of backhand line though.

Also, I have an r-pro rhyno, I'll have to go practice with that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

I am RHBH and LHFH and while I don't throw lefty too often it is really helpful on wooded courses where you need to be crafty when throwing escape shots.

My Forehands are best at about 150-230ft with a midrange and although I can use them for more D it is rarely needed due to having a good backhand.

f I were you I would work with the RHFH but especially for a LHBH guy I would work extensively on your anhyzer.

Others Like Me

I have wondered whether there are other players like me. It is reassuring to know I am not the only freak. I am right-handed in life. As a kid, I threw the frisbee a lot with my dad and for some reason learned to throw LHBH, RHFH. (I can't do anything else left-handed, however. Just throw a disc.) I also have to throw thumbers and tomahawks with my right hand. Odd...

To make it even weirder, although I can't throw RHBH, I do putt with my right hand. I can also putt with my left, which is very handy sometimes, and helps to offset the fact that it is hard for me to throw something that mimics a RHBH/LHFH flight.

Glad I'm not alone...

I have wondered whether there are other players like me. It is reassuring to know I am not the only freak. I am right-handed in life. As a kid, I threw the frisbee a lot with my dad and for some reason learned to throw LHBH, RHFH. (I can't do anything else left-handed, however. Just throw a disc.) I also have to throw thumbers and tomahawks with my right hand. Odd...

To make it even weirder, although I can't throw RHBH, I do putt with my right hand. I can also putt with my left, which is very handy sometimes, and helps to offset the fact that it is hard for me to throw something that mimics a RHBH/LHFH flight.

Glad I'm not alone...

Did you play baseball as a kid?

That seems to be a common theme with these people.........a left handed batter pulls through with his right hand meaning that by the time they throw a disc the right hand may feel more comfortable because of the similarities to a baseball swing.

I'm in the same boat (rhbh and lhfh). I'm Lefty in life, so I also throw overhand shots Lefty. Lately I've been learning to anhyzer my RHBH. I can get a very pretty left to right curve, but when I need straight distance of about 200 ft, and then a turn right....I can't do it. I feel the only way to be a great player is learn LHBH or RHFH to complement the other. That being said, just learning a good anhyzer improved my game plenty.

I'm in the same boat (rhbh and lhfh). I'm Lefty in life, so I also throw overhand shots Lefty. Lately I've been learning to anhyzer my RHBH. I can get a very pretty left to right curve, but when I need straight distance of about 200 ft, and then a turn right....I can't do it. I feel the only way to be a great player is learn LHBH or RHFH to complement the other. That being said, just learning a good anhyzer improved my game plenty.

A lot of the best players throw 99% backhand. Climo and Barry are two of the main ones and I'm pretty sure Davery doesn't throw any,

My favorite shot is an anhyzer but there is a difference between a "anhyzer hole" and a sidearm hole which needs to skip right at the end.

It seems like a common thing that LHBH players throw RHFH and not LHFH. I only know a few leftie players but atleast 3 of them do that...weird.

Latest posts