• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is Innova lacking a true understable fairway driver?

olemiss5931

Eagle Member
Is it just me or is Innova lacking a truly understable fairway driver? Lets go straight to their most understable fairway driver - the Leopard. The leopard in pro plastic is known to be a very sweet disc. Most agree this disc new can be hyzer flipped to flat and beaten in to a nice turnover. The leopard in champion plastic (which is my choice of plastic for fairway drivers) for most people is also a very straight disc but with a slight fade at the end of its flight when new. These also can be beaten in to a very straight disc and also a nice turnover. (I don't have much experience with the leopard in star plastic).

What I'm getting at is, I would like a fairway driver in champion plastic to be a nice turnover disc straight out of the box for 330-375ft worth of power. Basically we need a leopard L in a sense. Numbers may look like 7 5 -3 1? Anyways let me know what you guys think.

P.S. I know there are discs from other companies that will fill this gap but I really want to discuss the gap in Innovas line up. Thanks

I here what you are saying. Leopards are very stable out of the box. Both the Leopard and TL need to be beat in for a summer to throw nice easy turnover shots (for my style and power anyway).

TL is 7/5/0/1 not really flippy for me. But i do think they r missing something less stable than a leo. I would like a slower speed roadrunner...

My star tls were never floppy, even beat up they would come back eventually. Every pro to I have thrown has been flippy though.

I agree, even at 400' of power the 175 star leopard I had didnt turn too much. My buddies new champ leo didnt turn on me at all on a drive just over 400'. The pro leopard I had was great at first, but then quickly became too flippy for my liking. I've heard the Discmania FD and Millennium JLS are pretty decent.. never thrown them though.

Right now the Legacy Icon Patriot is covering my understable fairway duties, but im still not completely sold on it just yet. Ultimately i plan to just throw beat in teebirds for my understable needs.

Sidewinder might be a little too speedy for a fairway but it is an honorable mention. I've always found my beat in Sidewinder to be a great understable driver.

There a champ archangels out there but rare....with the speed of discs at 13 most people would say that the speed nine discs are fairway drivers. But I would agree with the OP that they lack an understable fairway driver. The cheetah and leopard are nice but not really understable out of the box

It is right on the line between midrange and fairway driver, but I use a Star Stingray in that role. I've not tried a Champ Stingray, but I might work.

The Stingray is not quite as long as a Leopard, but it's not dramatically shorter either.

Leopard, Valk and Beast are all flippy dippy enough.
Even an Eagle L, when nicely seasoned, will carve a nice anny line.
My go to flippy fairway is an old domey CE Gazelle.

The long and the short is, Innova has plenty of discs for what you're looking for, you just don't have one. :|

It's true. It's Innova's dark secret. Just look at how their pros have suffered over the years from this blank spot in their line-up. Other companies roll out champion after champion and all Innova can do is think "what if?"

:p

How about a forehand? Yeah my forehand sucks too.

Personally I would say 175 Pro Leo. I absolutely love mine.

Latest posts