• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] is Innova's DX plastic, is it even worth it?

Like others have said, DX is just plain better for some molds.

I throw Valks as my main distance driver and I can consistently get 20-30' further with a DX valk vs a Star Valk of similar weight. When I was recommended DX Valks vs Star and Champ Valks by Blake T, I thought he may have been full of it. Low and behold, they really do fly that much better.

DX valks break in way too quickly, but they turn into a disc that can do some crazy things after they turn flippy. A beat to heck DX Valk is my go to driver when I have a tail wind, uphill, crazy anhyzers, or when I just don't plain know what to throw on a hole. They just can't handle any sort of headwind.

(PS, at Kentwood, all you should be throwing is mids and putters anyway).

Bingo. The best advice I've received from a local there was to play for two months using only my
Shark and maybe a putter. I slipped away from doing that, because I wanted to improve NOW. I don't throw in a field yet and I know this has to happen to improve. So, when I play there I'll stick with my mids and my putter. Thanks for advice.

I throw Valks as my main distance driver and I can consistently get 20-30' further with a DX valk vs a Star Valk of similar weight. When I was recommended DX Valks vs Star and Champ Valks by Blake T, I thought he may have been full of it. Low and behold, they really do fly that much better.

I think it'll be a while before I can throw flat consistently enough to see distance changes. But I'll get another DX Valk and pick up either a Star Leopard or Star TL. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I have been wondering this for a while now. While DX plastic is affordable, they get broken in very fast. The price can be nice for replacing as well. However Champion and Star plastic is more expensive and holds up better too, however replacing them can get spendy if lost.

What is your opinion?
For someone who has embraced his inner noodle-armness (hey, you don't have to be in mass media to make up words), DX plastic allows me to throw molds and speeds that are way too overstable in premium plastics.

When I threw Innova, I had a DX 'version' of all the discs I liked. Their only purpose was wet weather. I could grip them so much better when my hands, or the disc, were wet. Even Star was slippery when wet.

DX drivers get too flippy too quick. The secret is that they fly better than any other plastic for that brief moment. The stable putter molds get real nice. Watch heimburg throw dx aviarx3 for woods hyzer flips

Bot was trying to rework the disc (where some regulars have been complaing that it doesn't work) section for site users...

I had over a thousand discs listed...
Really don't care if that is available anymore...
Maybe the trip planner will be fixed next.

For someone who has embraced his inner noodle-armness (hey, you don't have to be in mass media to make up words), DX plastic allows me to throw molds and speeds that are way too overstable in premium plastics.
I also embraced my noodle arm, but only with the idea of it being temporary as I continue to improve my form and my arm speed as regularly and quickly as possible. I have found that I can power grip flat discs - about speed 6-7 and up, but I have no ability to power grip putters and mids. Even just holding them, they feel awkward and bulky in my smallish hands - I can not hold them stable and flat with a power grip. So, I dismiss the constant advice to throw only putters and mids - I can't and won't do it. It would make me hate the game I love. That said, I have a few tips for the noodle arm that doesn't want the standard "throw only putters and mids" advice. DX plastic is fine as a beginner, especially if you want to be able to test a lot of discs cheaply. If you have a noodle arm because you are a beginner, and you are making steady gains, eventually you will outgrow most light weight, under stable DX drivers. They will become too flippy, and once you start getting about 250' distance or so, they will get where a hard tree hit from close distance - the kind you are likely to get on a heavily wooded course, can ruin their ability to fly correctly with 1-2 big hits. That is where you will want better plastic. But, the putters and mids are thicker, and don't go as fast, so I think you are unlikely to have that issue with them. Personally, for drivers, I love lighter weight to get more distance, and they require me to have cleaner form than heavy weight stuff, too. Great way to experiment with lots of discs cheap, and bonus, they have the biggest selection and availability of light weight drivers: Innova F2 Friday deals. On Friday, you get the Innova F2 code, buy any 3 discs or more, and get their specific offered F2 premium plastic disc for free. Also, buy 5 or more, get 10% off, and 10 or more, get 20% off. F2 discs, DX plastic, are only $6 brand new to start with! They charge $6 shipping, which is free if you spend $75 or more. Now, that allows you to test a heckuva lot of DX plastic cheap if you want to mess with different discs and weights to see what works for you, and even if you don't like some, or outgrow them quickly, hey, at least they were super cheap! Warning: F2 Friday is highly addictive - make sure you have lots of space to store discs! 5 months playing, and I have over 150 already! But, I play or practice almost daily, so I make regular gains, and I love experimenting with different discs to see what works best for me lately! I compare DGers and our discs to women and their shoes. No matter how many we have, there is another one (or 5) we just have to have! Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

My very first disc was a DX Valkyrie threw it solo for the first two months including putting. I ordered it off of Amazon based on a wife's comment that her husband loved the disc she seemed sincere, and I wouldn't of known the difference. When I played my second course with water in play, it was time to get two more DX Valk's in case I lost it. I threw an accidental roller with it and found more distance with the roller, so I threw rollers when the fairway allowed it, easy disc to roll. Great disc to learn from, it would be my main disc until I discovered a Star Mamba six months after playing. My Grandson started playing with me one year after I started, and gave him my last two, by that time I had been discovering other disc that was better suited for me. Grandson still has those two discs all beaten to death, he uses them for water holes.

My favorite DX Wraith, two years after I started playing I bagged the Lake Marshall courses and needed some throw away discs for water carries with fade. I was surprised on the practice field how well they flew. I hit barrel on a water carry, and only managed to lose 1 of 3 on the course. Kept the last one until I started flipping my bag over to MVP/Axiom 18 months ago.

My preference on DX over Star/Champion: Valkyrie, Wraith, Thunderbird, Roc3.

Star over DX: Mamba, Leopard, Destroyer.

I think those were the only comparisons. I still keep a Star Mamba in the bag, and for wind play a few Innova 12-14 speeds in Star and G-Star plastics. If I was to bring a DX back, it would be the Wraith. After I finish form building and start back up with rollers again. I'll bring back the Valkyrie and compare with other discs.

I just threw a 150g R-Pro Boss yesterday. It hit a small tree about 50' from the tee, and got a very big, noticeable dent in the rim. Very disappointed - I liked that disc a lot. IDK yet if it will fly the same again, but it sure won't ever look the same again. I will probably get 3 more - another R-Pro, as well as a Star and GStar, to see how all fly, and because the Star and GStar will likely hold up better. I did the same about 1-2 months ago with a DX Mamba - actually 2 tree hits in the same day, and one took a gauge out of the disc, and the other folded it up. I unfolded it, and it looked normal again, but it was my best flying disc at the time, and after those two hits, it did not fly anywhere near as well. Before the hit, I could hyzer flip it, and it went straight about 225' almost every time. After the hit, it was extremely unpredictable, and would almost never flip up and fly straight or as far again. I mostly don't buy DX for light weight drivers any more.

This thread kindof reminds me of the quest I was on to import BT Giants for a while there... Eventually I decided that waxy baseline drivers just season too fast in the PNW where every course you play is a heavy woods course.

Pro serves a lot of the purpose for me that DX seems to serve for others - grip, less stability (usually? Im lookin at you freak OLFs), and faster cycling until I get a premium mold properly worn.

Latest posts