• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it worth learning the roller? What disc?

armiller

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm fairly new, so I spend most of my disc golf time and energy working on the basics: backhand drives, putting, forehand & midrange shots. I've only tried to throw several rollers, but they usually flex out and land flat. Is that generally a disc problem? Or my technique? I can't remember exactly what I've tried to throw: definitely a Z Cyclone on one. I also have a Z Nuke SS or Z Buzzz that might work (I notice Nate Doss throws lots of rollers with his Ti Buzzz). Of note, my ability to throw anheyser is pretty pathetic, so I'm sure that figures in.

In the end, I've kinda given up on the backhand roller just cuz the rest of my game needs lots of work and is probably much more important. Nevertheless, I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The only place I have used a roller successfully is in woody spots where I can throw a forehand roller. Good for tough outs, and vertical discs don't catch as many trees as horizontal ones!

The backhand roller, or any roller off the tee, isn't really that important. I'd work on something else, and save that for way down the road when you've been playing a while and better mastered everything else.

Though it depends a bit on the courses you play. Where I play, there are very few opportunities for distance rollers, and no necessity for them. If you play a lot on fairly open courses with a smooth surface, you might have more use for them.

Forehand rollers, to get out of trouble, are another story altogether.

Rollers are a good skill to have (and a shot I must learn, as well). After watching a lot of disc golf on Youtube it occurs to me that pros throw rollers A LOT, mostly backhand rollers off the tee for low ceiling shots or other tough looks.

Like DavidSauls said, it all depends what courses you play. Where I usually play there is not much need for rollers so that is a technique I have not learned. Of course, it's helpful to have that shot in your bag when you need it.

Really understable discs are usually used for backhand rollers. I wouldn't trust a Ti Buzzz to turn into a good roller unless you are Nate Doss :p. Just get something really understable (some say "flippy") and learn how to turn it on its side for the roll. I am going to use my old Xpress to learn rollers since that is what everyone on the Discraft website says it is good for. Maybe I'll do that today since it finally stopped raining after 3 weeks...

It's a shot worth learning, but if you don't have the backhand and forehand throws down, learning a roller now will be like trying to run before you can walk.

If you feel comfortable with your air shots and the disc just isn't sitting down, then it could be the disc. When you're ready to learn rollers, start with something really understable in a field. They are easier to throw with a roller and won't hurt your form.

Once I got it down with an understable disc, I gradually threw more and more stable discs until I found ones that were too stable. I throw rollers now for discs from a Roc to a Stingray.

Enjoy

Aboslutely! Rollers are essential to the game of disc golf.

There are more vids, but this is a good start. I have to credit Mike C with my recent discovery of FH rollers. I love throwing them off the tee, and for approaches. Like he said, any disc will roll. It's all about the angles of release, and which angle the disc hits the ground, which way you want it to roll, stand up...etc.

Get out to a field and practice those rollers! :thmbup:

To make things a bit more interesting, maybe play a round where you have to throw 4 BH, 4 FH, 4 thumbers or tomahawks, 4 rollers and 2 putter only drives off the tee.

I have an affinity to forehand rollers (if the terrain permits and sometimes surprising when you don't think it does--amazing the roots/rocks they can skip over). I used to be ALL backhand shots but with age (I'm 68) I lost a lot of my timing ten or so years ago. In trying to learn the forehand throw, I was overpowering them which turned them into rollers. I've altered my forehand rollers for more control--thrown almost as an overhand, releasing at the same angle as you want it to hit the ground. Unlike the Mike C video, I try to hit that release/hit angle only about 40' off the tee. I max out at almost 400' but am usually in the 280-300' range. Disc selection is very important--as a right hander. Really overstable discs (e.g., predator) I can get a nice left to right roll path with only a little left fade out when hitting at about a 75 degree hit angle, a less stable disc (e.g., trespass) will hold a straighter path with more of a left end fade, and even less stable discs (e.g., renegade) will tend to have a right to left path with lots of left end fade. Altering the release/hit angle to almost vertical (near 90 degrees) accentuates the left fade. Good to have the forehand roller to get out of trouble, but it can also be a good "drive". Experiment. I also now throw a "normal" forehand but I max out around 220' (use to be 20% more before I had major abdominal surgery earlier this year).

One truism--you can live or die with a forehand roller; when they behave they can be beautiful; when slightly off, they can be really ugly.

One truism--you can live or die with a forehand roller; when they behave they can be beautiful; when slightly off, they can be really ugly.

That is so true. Really with any roller. If you hit the angle wrong, it can go WAY off target. There is nothing as fun though, as watching a disc roll, and roll...and it doesn't seem to want to stop. They go so far if you lay 'em down perfectly.

Good luck with your practicing, armiller.

I really like max weight (180 gram) DX Stingrays for backhand rollers. The denser plastic doesn't get banged up as fast as a lighter weight and and the wide diameter gets over bumps better than smaller diameter discs (drivers). Also, I find it helpful to do my run-up at kind of a diagonal right to left on the teepad (for RHBH). I only wish I had more courses close by that were good for distance rollers. I use forehand rollers much more often for short approaches.

It's worth learning some rolling just for the sake of getting out of trouble.

Most of my rollers are short forehand rollers and the only discs I can backhand roll with any consistence are a champ Panther and a beat DX Teebird, can get them out to 300ft+ pretty accurately.

I use rollers for low ceiling shots, not so much for max D open shots. As others have said, it depends on the courses you play. Also, rollers can be a good option if you aren't comfortable throwing uphill shots.

I usually use a Z Avenger ss for more turn at the end, and a beat P PD for a straighter longer roll before the turn.

Rollers are good, I am partial to the forearm roller myself. i use a kinda beat up XXX from lat 64 and it just rolls and rolls and rolls. but if you are looking for a back hand roller you need understable to make it flip over. i use a really beat in eco wraith for that. but like all these other guys are saying it would be best for you to get better for you to get really good at throwing first. and for me i learned rolling by starting with short distance, get me out of crap shots and added more and more distance from there.

Rollers are a part of the arsenal; knowing it saves you strokes. There are all kinds of different rollers, and you can throw some type of roller with any kind of disc, not just understable ones.

short answer: yes.

all discs that can be rolled. i throw rollers with my polecats, aviars, comet, gazelle, xxx, PD, PD2, whatever. anything can be rolled FH/OH. i keep the beat up base plastic for backhand.

I am trying to get my arm back right now after taking a break (unintentional) from Disc Golf. I have been throwing some fairly Understable plastic lately. Both my Sons have 150 Class Latitude 64 Diamonds in their bags. I threw them both and realized with my slow arm speed, the Diamonds make a AMAZING Backhand Roller.

And Yes, Rollers can be a pretty essential part of the game. Or, the Course can be Easier Conquered with a Roller in your arsenal. :)

short answer: yes.

all discs that can be rolled. i throw rollers with my polecats, aviars, comet, gazelle, xxx, PD, PD2, whatever. anything can be rolled FH/OH. i keep the beat up base plastic for backhand.

While this is true, if you are going to learn rollers I would suggest using only 1 disc to start with. You will learn the angles and behavior of rollers much faster. Actually you probably should do this when learning any shot. BH drives, FH drives, upshots, etc...

One disc at a time.

Correct. And I'd advise just picking up any old beat to **** dx to get started with the backhand rollers. Keep a separate disc for fh. You'll require something with a little more stability.

I roll a decent bit when the shot calls for it. I learned with putters, now I can roll with anything. The more distance you want from the roll, the more overstable of a disc you want to use. Practice them when you get a chance, rollers are a lot of fun!

Latest posts