• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a disc that totally changed your game?

In my short experience with DG I've tried out several discs and none of them really stand out as one of a kind. With any disc I feel that I can get a similar flight with at least two or three different discs from different brands. If I had to start over I would like to stay minimalist and focus on my technique and not worry about trying every single "game changing" disc that people hype up on here. I bought the Ion, River, and ESP Comet solely from all the hype on this site, and while they are great discs, they aren't really that different from other things I've tried. But maybe my form and skill aren't up there yet to really notice the differences. But now I seem to be always torn between buying new discs to try (partly because of my materialist love for buying new things, and also so I don't miss out on the latest and greatest disc) and trying to minimize my discs for the sake of consistency. Sometimes, I think it would be nice to be sponsored simply so I wouldn't have to worry about trying all the new discs from all the different brands. But, knowing myself, I'll continue to buy and try.

Learning to drive putters and mids changed my game, but I already had those discs; so it wasn't the discs so much as how I was using them.

I had a firebird for headwind, but when I started throwing spike hyzers with it, that also changed my game a lot.

Without hesitation, every disc I have ever owned has changed my game. Whether it's the disc that has a permanent place in my bag or the one off tester, they have all helped to improve my game. Yes, a lot of it is the archer and not the arrow; however, the archer needs to have good arrows. So, if I want to choose one disc to expound upon it would be the Star Max. From the moment I first flew one it was perfect out of my hand. I've stated it many times...this is my idea of a multi purpose disc. Long fairway driver, rollers, thumbers, tommy's, scooby's, and it is a long range off the tee driver. Right now, I'm breaking in a CFR Max and enjoying every moment of it!!

This. Before the ESP Zone, I was relying too much on my Wizards (which isn't a bad thing, mind you). The Zone really changed my approach on holes under 275'. I don't think there's a better utility disc out there, especially for spike approach shots. I can't wait to get a D Zone and work those into my bag, as well.

Beat in DX Stingray I got in a trade on here. My forehand stinks! But a RHBH with this disc is sweet!

You're welcome!

For me it was a Star Stingray - as a noob, it taught me that not all discs just dive left (as a RHBH).

After having some experience - DX Roc - changed my driving and approach game entirely.

Rivers - pretty much all around disc. After discing down to a River (even for a short time) I started throwing distance drivers farther. Effortless distance (about 360' controllable). Annies, hyzers, even FH rollers on occasion.

Pures - dead straight for driving, approaches and putts. I thought my putting was getting pretty decent with a Wizard and tried one of these on a whim. Haven't looked back. First disc I have been able to get good distance and accuracy with a "push putt." Confident inside 35', expectant inside 20', looking to give it a good run at 50-60'

The Star SL changed my game. Before I picked it up, all I did for driving was strong arm high speed, overstable drivers. I could maybe get 300ft. on a good flex shot but averaged around 225 - 250. The Star SL is very balanced, with not too much turn or fade, so once you get the feel for it (a process that takes a couple rounds as it's a bit finicky) it turns into a precision flyer. On tighter fairways I now average 275 - 300ft. with the SL and on more open shots where I am more confident and have some space I can get it out to 350 - 375 max.

Teebird or Roc, i know they are some of the most renowned discs of all time, but i can constitanly and accurately get my teebird out 350 or more, and i can put the roc within 5 feet of the basket from anywhere inside of 150.

Opto Striker. Never had a disc go so far, so straight. It got me working on different shots, technique, and form. And, it got me on the Lat64 bandwagon.

Discraft Buzzz. It was the first disc I loved enough to buy multiples of and try it in different plastics. I've only ever had 1 Roc, and probably will only ever have one at a time. There's just something about a Buzzz.

It would be the Zone and the Wraith for me. Those two discs have become so critical to my game, that I can't imagine playing without them. I could replace pretty much anything else in my lineup, and I would be fine. Those two, however, have no equivalent that I've tried (and don't try to tell me that Surges are the same as Wraiths. Went down that road, and they're just not)

Elite-Z Stalker

The Elite-Z Stalker has taught me the fundamentals of discing down. Slower discs give you more control and I can still throw this 350ft. The disc has low fade and very little skip. Before I would throw drivers and get either too much fade or big skips on shots I need the disc to settle when it hits the ground.

I love a Firebird but no disc has come in and changed or added shots to my bag like a zone has. It has probably been the best disc released in quite some time. Its like a short mid range Firebird for me and its very dependable.