• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this really the reason to go to a course?

Exactly, I think the biggest crime here in the US (well, not really, you know what I mean) is that as a parent you cannot give your kids beer. If I have kids I will teach them how to drink properly and responsibly when they are high school age. They're going to be around it anyway, they might as well be able know their limits and the rules of moderation or they'll think that chugging liquor, doing keg stands, and bonging beers is a good idea. If they think drinking beers is no big thing b/c they've been knocking back the occasional brew with Pops that is a WIN.
been drinking since kindergarden and i go weeks sometimes months without drinking so i guess it does work . also i agree with everything you said about drinking getting a bad name because americans go about it all wrong .

i used to bring six packs with me so i didnt seem like a scrooge that only brought beer for himself but when my beer cost almost as much as the 12 pack most of the people here drink and they take a couple sips and then not finish it or complain its not cold enough(if you gotta keep beer ice cold to drink it it aint that good ) i starting just bringing enough for me again (1or2).

I see this thread has kinda taken off since I left.

That hence is largely the problem in a lot of parks. There are rules against drinking per the laws of the city/county that park is in, but they're rarely enforced, often leading to the misperception that it IS legal. I actually wrote a review yesterday for a course where they do enforce a no alcohol policy aggressively, and stated in the comments section not to bring it unless they wanted to risk a stiff fine, not to mention getting the course pulled for everybody.

Personally, I don't drink myself, but I have no problem with people chugging a cold one or two during the round, and for most part, I'm not handed any static about it. The problem is that a lot of the parks where our courses are located also have other more family oriented amenities like playgrounds, walking trails, youth sports fields where people generally don't drink (adult sports fields are another matter). When these folks passing by us, see us DG'ers drinking, even when it is legal, it perpetuates the image that disc golfers are lowlife bums whose primary motivation for playing is to get sauced.

And its especially saddening when we leave evidence of our misdeeds on the ground for these folks to see long after we've left the course. I hate to say it, but those images may stick in people's minds the next time a course is proposed.

So yeah, I can see why some folks might take a review like that to heart.

This is more of what I'm getting at. The area I play is a very crowded park in which the disc golfer rap is basically you drink or you smoke pot. This is a nasty image on Disc golf and to those that don't do one or the other, or both. I see a lot of small children out on play equipment and families cooking at BBQ's that have disc golfers walking by with beer in hand or a one-ey (however you spell that) being lit to be more "conspicuous". The course is under constant pressure from the surrounding neighborhood to be taken out. There is always a feud between the disc golfers and the locals mainly because of the drugs, alchohol, and litter due to those.

Also at the college campus I go to, it is a dry campus and recently it has been pulled completely due mainly to beer bottles.

The review I posted was just an example, and I haven't even gave it a helpful or not helpful vote as of yet. There is almost always a topic up here about litter, mainly beer bottles and cigarette butts. At the same time there is usually a topic about not liking drunks or deadheads. Obviously this group has opinions on this topic, I am wondering if this is truly why us disc golfers go to the course. To light one up or smash one down, and if so, does it really need to be publicly announced in a review that this is what disc golfing is about?

The cooler review is funny, and it's vague. To those that do drink it's a hint, and to the more family oriented readers it could mean take your family picnic elsewhere and bring your hiking boots without coming right out and saying "Don't bring your beer cooler, the hills make it hard for you to lug your 24 pack up and down"

i have never gone to a course just to party, that's kinda ridculous isn't it? but the 2 go together like chocolate and peanut butter, am i right? i know a lot of serious golfers and the ones that do party clean up after themselves..noone to blame it on because i never have caught anyone littering..people no it is wrong and they are sneaky about it..as for on a dry campus, my home course is on one and those kids drink..dry or not..all the beer trash is near the dorms...mmmmm...golfers?

The review I posted was just an example, and I haven't even gave it a helpful or not helpful vote as of yet. There is almost always a topic up here about litter, mainly beer bottles and cigarette butts. At the same time there is usually a topic about not liking drunks or deadheads. Obviously this group has opinions on this topic, I am wondering if this is truly why us disc golfers go to the course. To light one up or smash one down, and if so, does it really need to be publicly announced in a review that this is what disc golfing is about?

It has to be a case by case example. The courses you mention could definitely use less drinkers and stoners if it explicitly disallows alcohol and guys are blazing around kids. On the other hand, there are courses where gatorade and water bottle litter way outweighs beer litter as some have stated. It depends on the culture of the disc golf area. Then again, there are parks that would love to have drunk and stoned dgers if that meant it drove out prostitutes and crack dealers.

Some can be responsible, some cannot. Let's not punish all for the misdeeds of a few is my philosophy.

I would suggest moving on to the next review and the next until you find one that is up your alley. Save yourself the grief

I had my first beer during a round last week. And I'm a heavy drinker. I just don't think drinking while playing is going to help my game at all. I'm also the guy that goes out of my way to pick up trash around every tee pad I hit while muttering expletives under my breath. I still don't understand how you don't get that it's just a review from one guy. Some people like to drink beers and play. It's completely legal in a lot of parks. The guy didn't tell you he was going to beat you up if he caught you without beers. Not everyone views things the same and obviously an individual's reviews are going reflect that. Get over it. You could have also just asked the question without calling this dude out.

i personally think its a nice add on. i personally do not smoke, but i do like to enjoy a beverage on the course. even if you are 21, having beer on you whether allowed on the course or not its still nice to know.

The point of this forum, I think, was that it wasn't an add-on, but the whole review. It is just stupid that someone felt the need to write a review, but only managed to put "Its good for drinkin'" I have no problem if someone throws that in the review, but that guy makes it seem like that's the only important thing to discing.

The point of this forum, I think, was that it wasn't an add-on, but the whole review. It is just stupid that someone felt the need to write a review, but only managed to put "Its good for drinkin'" I have no problem if someone throws that in the review, but that guy makes it seem like that's the only important thing to discing.

Good thing he isn't the only one leaving reviews then.

I dont see a problem with the drinking as long as its not illegal on the course. I mean I am watching th HR derby now and there are beer signs and it is sponsored by Budwieser and its at Busch stadium haha. I do think the weed thing is not a very good way to promote the sport to outsiders (sponsors and families)

But I agree that the review sucked as it did not have much content.
beer will not run people away from the game like weed. Just because more people will notice the smell of weed, especially if it's high quality.;) But to notice beer you would have to be clanging bottles, rolling a keg behind you or leaving a trail of empties behind you.

...because nobody who plays ball golf drinks.

2.jpg

I had my first beer during a round last week. And I'm a heavy drinker. I just don't think drinking while playing is going to help my game at all. I'm also the guy that goes out of my way to pick up trash around every tee pad I hit while muttering expletives under my breath. I still don't understand how you don't get that it's just a review from one guy. Some people like to drink beers and play. It's completely legal in a lot of parks. The guy didn't tell you he was going to beat you up if he caught you without beers. Not everyone views things the same and obviously an individual's reviews are going reflect that. Get over it. You could have also just asked the question without calling this dude out.
I know how you feel. I was playing a state park course in miss and on the walk from 16's basket to 17's tee I see and empty bag of cheetos. 2 more holes and you must slam some cheetos and can't wait to get to your vehicle. Must have been dizzy from weekness..must..have..chee..toes:D

I'll agree that it's a crappy review but I would like to know if alcohol is permitted at a course or not. Not so I'll avoid a dry course. Just so I won't do anything to jeopardize the course's existence.

true zen. the review sucked. Plus he should have explained in my detail. like on this hole you should slam a beer. But on holes D-H you should sip 1 beer, and then again on holes I, h and J you must slam 1 per hole. and make sure to bring some cheetos as it is bad to drink on an empty stomach. You know give us a major description like beer drinking and discin 101. as for the ahem..other, I need no tips.

true zen. the review sucked. Plus he should have explained in my detail. like on this hole you should slam a beer. But on holes D-H you should sip 1 beer, and then again on holes I, h and J you must slam 1 per hole. and make sure to bring some cheetos as it is bad to drink on an empty stomach. You know give us a major description like beer drinking and discin 101. as for the ahem..other, I need no tips.
"Hole 17 is a beautiful downhill shot with major tree coverage; suitable for vodka martinis or possibly a shot of Jägermeister if you're daring enough."

I know how you feel. I was playing a state park course in miss and on the walk from 16's basket to 17's tee I see and empty bag of cheetos. 2 more holes and you must slam some cheetos and can't wait to get to your vehicle. Must have been dizzy from weekness..must..have..chee..toes:D

Imagine if you read a review on that course by someone from here that said "this is a great course to eat Cheetos at".

:eek: :D

"Hole 17 is a beautiful downhill shot with major tree coverage; suitable for vodka martinis or possibly a shot of Jägermeister if you're daring enough."

that's it. Someone needs to be the official alcoholic reviewer. and like you said label each hole's partner drink. Hole 1 goes good with a nice Ripple and of course hole 2 begs for shot of home made moonshine. maybe someone like this already a DGCR member.