• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't write reviews, but I appreciate that others do.
To quote what many have said before,
"Reviews > Rating"

Is there a way to put reviews on a visibility timer ?
People who upload several in a short period of time, only they are delayed for a couple of hours or maybe a half day...
They may pop up or appear during time frame when less reviews are loading up.

Just an idea, since I have no idea how any of that works...
I feel like a more doable "fix" would be a filter that would basically ignore reviews from a particular user, so say ReviewSpammer404 dumps 27 reviews throughout the day Monday, all you do is hit a filter that says something like "Ignore user" and then fill in the blank, and BOOM - all recent reviews except those. It's not a permanent ignore, just for those days where someone does that. That way the devs don't have to figure out things like timers. Also, it would make it easier for everyone to get their thumbs while kind of discouraging review dumps from users. Though that only works based on the assumption that the people making these review dumps or, dumpers as I shall call them now, even care about thumbs/site clout to begin with. The dumper's whole motivation may be solely to contribute and see certain numbers go up (courses reviewed/played), not necessarily the same numbers we're interested in (thumbs). A study of the dumper's mind might be in order and even fun, but no one is going to fund it.

I'd almost prefer course reviews could be sorted. Like, I click on a course and I have the option to see the most recent reviews, or click on most helpful reviews. I'd much rather read a review from a trusted reviewer that has 25 plus helpful votes from several months ago, than a 2 like brand new review that has 4 sentences. I don't give out thumbs down hardly ever, but 7 reviews in a row with "-nice course, good tee pads, nice signs" tells me absolutely nothing relevant about the course and whether or not I should play it or not.
there is both a sort and a filter for the reviews on course pages, so is this a request for the homepage?

there is both a sort and a filter for the reviews on course pages, so is this a request for the homepage?
There indeed is on the course page. My bad, I should have clarified that I meant on the homepage (where it currently filters for All, Nearby, Wishlist, Played, Favorites, and Following). As I am newer to this site I have missed a lot of great reviews and there isn't an easy way to search them up. A "Most Helpful" filter would at least allow the top thumbed reviews to jump to the top. Newest reviews should obviously be the default on the main page, but I enjoy reading older, well done reviews to try and plan bagging trips accordingly as opposed to getting spammed with reviews kicking other peoples well written reviews off the front page before anyone even has time to read them.

OId reviews that have recently been updated are showing the 2 years icon, even when the "last played" shows a recent date. Also, we used to have reviews that have been updated get sorted at the top, since they theoretically contain more up to date information than reviews that haven't been updated as recently.

Two previously reported issues remain. Can you estimate when they might be fixed? Thank you!

1. Courses - Browse Map - Filters: Map reverts to my home location whenever filters are set or cleared. Originally reported July 20th.

2. Courses - Browse Map - Filters: The "9 holes or fewer" filter is not working. Originally reported July 18th.

Perhaps you have spoiled us by fixing so many other problems so quickly. ;)

Two previously reported issues remain. Can you estimate when they might be fixed? Thank you!

1. Courses - Browse Map - Filters: Map reverts to my home location whenever filters are set or cleared. Originally reported July 20th.

2. Courses - Browse Map - Filters: The "9 holes or fewer" filter is not working. Originally reported July 18th.

Perhaps you have spoiled us by fixing so many other problems so quickly. ;)
I'm working on browse map updates, I think it will be ready tomorrow

Help.......

I am confused by this. When I look at my course count on my profile, it says I have played 1500 courses.

But other places I saw it said 1496

I just found the "top baggers" list and doing a search with temp and extinct courses included, it said I had 1499.

I am confused by this. I am still trying to figure out where my count is off

Dang it, now it says 1499 total courses played. I swear it said 1500 a few days ago. I might have accidently clicked one off when adding photo's yesterday.

My total is off by 2 on my reviews. I'm assuming this is because I played 2 new ones the weekend they switched to the new site. It's been off ever since. Did you happen to play 4 new courses the weekend of July 15th?

Strong agreement here.

I do recall a recent suggestion to revise the homepage so it includes two columns of reviews (at the expense of something that's less interesting to most members, like maybe Hole Tips or Tournaments....)

It seems like the current homepage is underplaying the thing that differentiates the site: course reviews. If it isn't possible to change the current layout, could the bottom of the box have a big ol' "More" button...something that would take you to a similar layout like what's in the "Recent course reviews" box now, but endlessly scrollable?

The "new Reviews" page under "What's New" isn't bad - but it's missing the location of the course being reviewed (something that I find important).
I played bagged six courses today (one is a 5.0 - only my seventh of 421 courses played.

But given that the homepage provides only 5 review slots, I question why I should continue to write reviews, if they're just gonna get buried.

I LOVE the new site. I am so impressed by the responsiveness of @greens and @Dev . I think the site now provides information that makes interaction among members much more likely, and much more meaningful (like, easily seeing recent rounds and reviews on courses I've played, and providing for "discussion" about reviews).

But one thing that the old site did well was to keep recent reviews "active" on the front page (or clickable if there was overflow) for three days. This meant that no matter how many reviews came after mine (whether in batches or singularly), mine were still visible until they "expired."

I am discouraged by the current set-up, so I'm going to pause my contributions for a while. Maybe I'm just being thin-skinned here, and I'd be interested to hear from other prolific and Trusted Reviewers.

I played bagged six courses today (one is a 5.0 - only my seventh of 421 courses played.

But given that the homepage provides only 5 review slots, I question why I should continue to write reviews, if they're just gonna get buried.

I LOVE the new site. I am so impressed by the responsiveness of @greens and @Dev . I think the site now provides information that makes interaction among members much more likely, and much more meaningful (like, easily seeing recent rounds and reviews on courses I've played, and providing for "discussion" about reviews).

But one thing that the old site did well was to keep recent reviews "active" on the front page (or clickable if there was overflow) for three days. This meant that no matter how many reviews came after mine (whether in batches or singularly), mine were still visible until they "expired."

I am discouraged by the current set-up, so I'm going to pause my contributions for a while. Maybe I'm just being thin-skinned here, and I'd be interested to hear from other prolific and Trusted Reviewers.
I agree that more reviews should still be shown on the home page by default. I am hoping that another redesign of the home page is in the works based on the feedback that has been given in this thread.

But I don't really care between the old "Older" button versus the new "More Reviews" button. I think they are essentially the same thing.

And I don't agree at all that reviews getting buried is a reason to stop writing them. Reviews are getting buried more quickly because there are more reviews coming in. I haven't counted, but my feeling is that even without that Johnsondere person's reviews there are still significantly more reviews getting posted in the past month compared to the same time period in 2022.

I think more review activity can only be a good thing. Yeah, I haven't been getting 15 thumbs per review over the past month. But I don't really need any more thumbs anyway. You don't either, when it comes right down to it. You have plenty for Diamond. :)

Strictly speaking, the new reviews getting posted on the home page aren't necessarily "useful" to me most of the time. I thumb them up to show support, but reviews really become "useful" months or years later for the most part, when people are reading them to actually go decide whether to play the course.

I hope you continue to write reviews, and I look forward to reading them. Including that 5.0 one. :)

The reason was that the system required a person to run them manually - remember the posts where people would be like why is this happening prior to the new system?

I know Dev and I will chat about getting more reviews on the page.

I'll keep churning them out. The "more reviews" is basically the same as the older reviews was anyway. I'm glad they added that. I just can't see complaining about more reviews.

Ok, I had built a "master list" before the old list was taken down.

I just crossed reference it and found my personal issues were in Texas. With 667 courses played it took me all night to back track it and found the errors.

I had two courses I had played not checked off. I swear I had both of them done at one time. One is a private course you can't find the listing unless you know the name of the course.

The other was a course that I thought had been "expired" and relisted as an 18 hole course. I went ahead and checked the 18 hole course (even though I have not played the newer back 9 yet) so at least It is now counted.

That put me at 1501 on my home page.

However, if you look at a review I have make, it says 1498? This is what I was confused about before.

Oh, in Texas I actually found a couple of other mistakes. I was missing Greenbelt 2.0 (my home course) because it has techically been redesigned 4 times over the last 35 years.

The Original A and B courses (B was a temp for tournaments)
For a year it was North and West (Changed up the courses for a year when Jimmy Porter was under construction)
Then totally a big design change to 2.0 combining the area to one course in 2009
Then the City redid the creek and my son's Eagle Scout Project was to re install the course. We redesigned it to 3.0 in 2012

The Original A and North courses are not listed on DGCR.

But then I also found I had the OG Princeton course listed twice in my personal list. I had it under two different Park names. When the course was Redesigned, it was named Jack Culverhouse but is in Community Center Park. Those two canceled each other out but my list is not accurate.

What's up with the browse maps? I don't have any baskets (courses) showing up?

Make sure you "clear" your filters and then hit "apply" That got me once, I couldn't figure it out for a while, thought it was broken.

That did it. Thank you sir. (y)

dumb and dumber television GIF

It's been mentioned before, but I'd like to see the filters reset automatically when browsing the maps. I also don't think they're working fully yet. Or at least all the time. Horseshoe Pond park will not show up no matter what I do. It's a practice area and I've yet to see it on the map on the new site, even filtering, clearing, etc.

I also miss the top courses tab, where you could select by state. I figured out how to do this but it's a pain in my ass. That's also why my map wasn't showing any courses. Because I didn't clear my filters. Which leads me back to my first point. ^

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

Status
Not open for further replies.