It may seem harsh, but when I see somebody reach for their Mamba I cringe a little

As long as people are outside, enjoying themselves playing disc golf then who cares? Maybe give them a pointer if they ask for it, otherwise let them have fun.
Yes, I agree but seeing one person struggle and not happy entire time using said understable discs becuse they have no OS discs beyond an approach disc or midrange is where I internally cringe.

We're not all 20 anymore, if it had a narrower rim a Mamba would be back in my bag
Grab a Sphinx from Infinite...speed 9 and Flippy out of the box, I recommend the I-blend as it's likely the most US out of the box. Prodigy's F9 is also massively flippy.

Grab a Sphinx from Infinite...speed 9 and Flippy out of the box, I recommend the I-blend as it's likely the most US out of the box. Prodigy's F9 is also massively flippy.
I'll stick with lightweight Star Roadrunners, but thanks 👍

I'll stick with lightweight Star Roadrunners, but thanks 👍
My brother goes Champion Road Runner becuse the Champion are much better at being like a lightweight Valkyrie without minor very light winds issues a lightweight Valkyrie can have. I use a 170--172 Valkyrie or my in light winds as well as in some tailwinds where I need a line my Dragon or eventual around 145 gram DX Valkyrie will not have and I am not needing my 167 gram Star Archon.

Mamba's are as inconsistent as Groove's are.
No Destroyers are as inconsistent as Groves mainly because of several nearly identical molds used or discs and high volume made in every run that is not called a limited run. from what I see regular Champion runs of Destroyer are most consistent because of how fewer people use a Champion Destroyer over a Star, G-Star, Halo Star, or Pro.

From a beginner's persective, have to agree with lee76003,
I've been throwing a Star Mamba for 4 years now, 6 months after I started playing. My only ace was with the Mamba into a 20-mph headwind when I was still learning different molds, limited number of discs, and didn't know much better. My home course can have strong wind eight months of the year, so I've learned to play the wind with Mamba as with other disc. My favorite Mamba wind play is into a 45-degree headwind for a turn flip coming back across the fairway or with any helping crosswind for some of my longer throws all in the open. However, just how far offline nobody knows. I'm actually using it less, as I'm now more likely to use more reliable disc such as a Fission Wave or an S-line DD for wind play, and other options. Tomorrow, I'm not even bringing it with me for 15 mph wind, I have a new VIP Northman I'll use in its place. The Mamba is getting used less now, and more out of the bag, but it was a good learning experience when I was a new player.
Now, it's my most reliable disc for covering distance. (Note: Have to yet to throw any disc 200'+) Suspect, as my skills improve, some other disc will take it's place ... perhaps even a fairway disc.

For now, I'm sticking with it.

No Destroyers are as inconsistent as Groves mainly because of several nearly identical molds used or discs and high volume made in every run that is not called a limited run. from what I see regular Champion runs of Destroyer are most consistent because of how fewer people use a Champion Destroyer over a Star, G-Star, Halo Star, or Pro.
You might be right about total variation in Destroyers, but I dont think I ever saw the kind of inconsistency in a single run of them the way you did with Grooves, especially in reliable Champ plastic that the Grooves were molded in. I feel like you probably picked a questionable plastic / weight if you have a super flippy Destroyer, but Mamba like Grooves and SSDS Destroyer like Grooves happened in the same run.

The real problem with the Groove though was that you had no #@&*ing idea until you paid money and threw the disc.

With Destroyers, if you really care and you dont want to fork over $20 (ok, only $15 back then) for flippy nonsense, you pull out your good Destroyer, set them both on a table and check the seems.

The Groove rim is immune to PLH checks.

Maybe the excitement of unknown flight numbers works for some people. I guess I could see this being a thing for for blind box CCG players.

OK, now I'm coming around to the idea - Blind box Groove round - Each player starts with 3 Grooves and 3 Monarchs and has to figure out wtf they do and make them work during the round. Sounds hillarious and amazing.

You might be right about total variation in Destroyers, but I dont think I ever saw the kind of inconsistency in a single run of them the way you did with Grooves, especially in reliable Champ plastic that the Grooves were molded in. I feel like you probably picked a questionable plastic / weight if you have a super flippy Destroyer, but Mamba like Grooves and SSDS Destroyer like Grooves happened in the same run.

The real problem with the Groove though was that you had no #@&*ing idea until you paid money and threw the disc.

With Destroyers, if you really care and you dont want to fork over $20 (ok, only $15 back then) for flippy nonsense, you pull out your good Destroyer, set them both on a table and check the seems.

The Groove rim is immune to PLH checks.

Maybe the excitement of unknown flight numbers works for some people. I guess I could see this being a thing for for blind box CCG players.

OK, now I'm coming around to the idea - Blind box Groove round - Each player starts with 3 Grooves and 3 Monarchs and has to figure out wtf they do and make them work during the round. Sounds hillarious and amazing.
Still a Grove not worst disc Innova has made in more then one run/limited production run, this was an Archon in Champion because disc lacked glide. I hear issue from a number of people saying if you can't get glide from a Champion Archon disc and I have one where an F2 mold came out like a Star in normal dome.

Monarch was fairly same flight in runs so people would screw up results and use only those Monarch. Monarch is an okay disc enough a higher level pro once used a Monarch before player moved on to Road Runner due to more plastic choices using mold more for bad weather and later left Innova because of how Dave D still insists on doing contracts sans an agent for play also forcing until 2020 a very short period for players resign and mail in letter like it was a water or heating bill. I want to say player was Greg Barsby very early in his Pro career when on Innova used Monarch or was kind of forced to use one due to requests for a faster Monarch, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: