• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's gotta be the shoes.

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
OK. Another learning from league last night. I usually wear hiking boots when I play our course. The terrain is fairly rugged. I pull up to the course a few minutes before tee-off, open my trunk, and my boots aren't there. I was wearing Addias skate shoes that I bought the day before. Brand new. I was pissed.

I'm not saying for sure that it was the shoes but I broke my personal distance records on, at least, 5 different holes. My upshots were also practically parked every time. (Except this hole.)

Have any of you noticed what difference your shoes make?

I notice a difference on my drives, but that would be mainly because I play most of my rounds barefoot (I like the feel of grass on my feet). When I do drive with shoes, they're usually slip on sandals, so when I wear hiking boots or sneakers I usually don't drive as well. That being said, I'm sure if I wore shoes and got used to it, I'm sure I could drive much farther, as I wouldn't be as conscious of dragging my feet or spinning on them.

I notice a difference on my drives, but that would be mainly because I play most of my rounds barefoot (I like the feel of grass on my feet). When I do drive with shoes, they're usually slip on sandals, so when I wear hiking boots or sneakers I usually don't drive as well. That being said, I'm sure if I wore shoes and got used to it, I'm sure I could drive much farther, as I wouldn't be as conscious of dragging my feet or spinning on them.

Theres no way you could get away with barefoot golf here in the mountains. Not unless the entire bottom of your feet were callouses. Sound awesome though!

I wore some crap flat bottoms one time and had a terrible day. It may be a head thing or it might be the shoes but I'm just not comfortable without my Salomon XA Comps on.

I've noticed a difference on my drives...I've been playing with a pair of Adidas Sambas except when it has been raining and muddy I throw on an old beat pair of NB. I can't attribute it 100% to the shoes, as some parts of the grass were still damp, but I felt a lot less secure with my drives.

The majority of the courses I play are mostly grass, but I'll wear hiking boots while I play rougher courses. The biggest problem for me is people breaking bottles on the course...I hate broken glass...

I'm usually in very loose skate shoes. I guess they would help since I can move my feet around more than in a tight shoe or boot.

It's just what I normally wear. Not sure though, never wore different.

I'd have to say it was because you were pissed you had the wrong shoes, so you took your anger out on the disc, launching like it had never been launched before.

I love playing in Vans but many of the courses I play these days (Texas) are too rugged and or muddy to make it worth while. I used to wear them in CA all the time. I think I get better feel and more control over my run up wearing skate shoes - shoes designed for people to feel what is going on under the soles. Just my .02

I've settled for Moabs which handle wear and tear while still providing some feel and comfort.

Well, I have a pair of X4 from Cabelas and a pair of much lighter Moabs. The X4's are comfortable but heavier. I think it makes a difference for me toward the end of the round to have worn the Moabs. My legs feel fresher.

My observations are very similar to zenbot.
I started playing in walking boots, and have gradually reduced my shoe weight.
I play in a sort of heavy sneaker or light walking shoe. It's very light, but has some small lugs on the bottom for those shots from pine needles or sand.
It seems I just play better when I wear light shoues.
Sometimes I'll play in running shoes when I'm just out for a casual round. I played one of my best rounds ever, but I did slip once or twice.

I think 80playedin10 has it right. Lighter footwear keeps you lighter on your feet and more fluid in your movements. I can't play in anything other than trail running shoes and be comfortable.

I recently played in a pair of Merrills (unsure of the name...really light, quick drying, and BRIGHT yellow) which felt really comfortable to me, almost as much as playing barefoot. I may take to wearing those on the course to prevent the hassles of broken glass and such.

Its probably the weight difference. My merrill moab hitops are overall my favorite DG shoe except in cold. They are very light for hikers, waterproof, keep feet cool in hot, and provide good foot and ankle support/protection. Beware they are .5 size smaller than most brands. I just bought a second pair, I didn't realize the first pair was too small for months because they were so much more comfortable than anything else I've worn. In the cold I wear my timberland pro titans which are light for work boots, but I notice a weight difference that affects my game. I've worn running, cross trainers, and basketball shoes, but they wear quicker and don't provide any if much foot and ankle support/protection.

i wear nike indoor soccer shoes, and they've worked the best for me, i can feel the contour of the ground through the sole really well, so it helps me out.

I've tried playing in hiking boots and failed miserably. I usually have flat soled Vans or I really like to play in Converse. There is definitely a difference in footwear for me. Ever tried playing in flip flops? It doesn't work very well, I just play barefoot then.

Depends on the type of teebox for me. I only wear NB's, but I'll wear a pair of older ones when I play at a course with gravel boxes, because the more worn out soles allow me to get a faster spin (on my body) during my throw, and I wear some deeper tread shoes for grass teebox courses so I don't slip around.