• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jealousy?

Luke1

Eagle Member
After my podiatrist appointment today, in which I got my six year old wart removed by way of a scalpel (it's gross, freeze them early), I went for a round disc golf. I just went to play alone. I usually play with a couple of my friends, but with work, homework, and other complications, none of them could go today. So, I roll up to the course, pop my trunk and grab my bag. Simple Innova Standard with some Quadshocks, seven discs. I get to the first tee, and there is a group of five guys warming up, arm circles and whatnot. They asked me to join them, and I thought that was great. However, I was wrong.

I introduced myself, gave them my name and stuff. The first hole goes fine, all decent drives. Though I hit a tree about 250 ft out, and felt kind of stupid. But, I saved par, like all of them. Hole 2 was where the first problem was. It's about three hundred feet, blind and pretty far to the left. I threw a sky annhyzer forehand and it landed about five feet from the basket. Four people said, "Hey man, nice shot, that was pretty." One of them said, "I'd like to see you do it again." This struck me as odd. I let it roll off my back, though.

So, we go two more holes all pars. Then on hole five, I hit another tree with about 175 ft left until the basket. I walk up, pull out my Max, flick it low and left of the basket, it smashes the center chains. I was ecstatic, but didn't want to celebrate too much around the relative strangers, so I just did a little fist clinch in front of my chest, you know the one I'm talking about, just a little "Yes!" one. All but one person cheered or clapped. He said, "Boy, that was lucky. You know that is a distance driver, right?"

We get to hole eight, I get another birdie. He gets the same. And when I'm saying "he", I'm referring to the guy giving me some really bad vibes. I had driven first, and got within twenty feet of the basket, as I had the most recent better score of the group. He parks it straight under the basket. I told him he did a good job. He said, "I know." I made my putt. I parred nine, and was extremely pleased to be through the front nine three under.

Hole ten used to be a very easy, almost sure birdie hole, until they moved back and to the left, hiding it behind a lot of trees. I throw overhand and it glides close enough to be a birdie, but I missed the putt. However, before I putted, he said, "Wow, how many times out of ten does that shot work?" At this point, I'm seriously agitated. He happened to make a sixty foot shot with a buzz.

Pretty much the entire group got birdies on twelve. I also nailed one on thirteen. So has he. I'm five under and this point, he is four. On fourteen, which is about 450 ft, I shoot a worm burner into a fallen log a hundred feet in front of me. He drives around 400. Looks at me and says, "Lead change coming, buddy?" I walk up, pull my Wraith, overhand it, thirty feet from the basket after a very favorable couple of skips. Sink a par. At this point, I had to say "Maybe next hole." On that next hole, which is about 300 ft, I threw way too hard, and would have vastly over driven if I didn't hit a tree. I made birdie. Six under to four under. He says, "That's some lucky bounce."

I hate hole sixteen. A lot. It's short and to the left. Sounds easy, right, just back hand a mid. Well it is that easy, for everyone, except me. I can't birdie this hole to save my life. I have trouble parring it a lot. It's a terrible hole for me. I walk up, look around, and decide to try something different. I took my Wraith and just tomahawked straight into the ground about twenty feet ahead. It rolls, perfectly. Goes right under the basket, but kept going, and hit a log about fifty feet away, and did a really cool jump. He is beside himself. He says, "A roller, on this rocky course?" Whatever, I got par, I was happy. I hate that hole. He birdies it.

I got my only bogey of the day on seven teen. I slipped on the mud on the tee pad, hit a tree. All but one in our group got a bogey, and it wasn't him. It was just a cursed hole. Had trouble getting up the hill. No big deal. I'm still five under going into the last hole on the course. Great round. He's four under. Although I can't stand him, he's a very solid player. His friends congratulate him on what is his best round ever, they say. He says, "Nah, I shoot this good a lot." They dismiss that as a vast overstatement. I didn't care either way. He has first drive, gets in birdie distance. Says something like, "Going to have to match my bird, to win."

I drove last. It's a three hundred foot hole, way down hill. I can't say why, but ever since it came out, I've loved to toss a boss forehand ever so lightly and just watch it fly down and to the right into the green. I know it's not made for that, but it's glide just lets it go very smoothly. Plus, I'm throwing a very OATish forehand, so it works. It skips off the little rain gully in front of the green, straight into center chain. ACE! I high five all of them, except him. He is disgusted, "The luckiest shot ever, to end the luckiest round I've ever seen! With a ****ing disc like a Boss, no less. Wow, did you buy that disc hoping you could throw a thousand feet?" His friends tell him to calm down. He goes up and misses his ten foot putt, and storms down the path toward the parking lot.

Then I realize, he must have been jealous. He was wearing a disc golf polo. Had a Revo bag, full with about fifteen or more discs. And was about thirty years old. He throws a very pretty backhand with great form off of every tee. I'm eighteen, I haven't graduated high school. I throw forehand, overhand, backhand, and one hole I threw one of the worst rollers ever. I play seven discs. I got an Aviar, a Wasp, a 2008 champ Roc, a NS Boss, a star Wraith, a star Max, and a Z Cyclone. I saw that he had some beat DX TeeBirds, a few CE Rocs, an Augusta Wraith, a completely clear Buzz, and some other nice discs. I'm wearing a pair of beat up Nikes, he has some shoes with Vribram soles and stuff. He has some athletic cargo pants and I have a pair of Cinch western jeans. Yet I beat him. I can only conclude that he was jealous that despite all of his fancy gear, and his fancy form, that I was able to beat him.

Should I just forget about this, and regard it as simple jealousy? That's all I can think of. I didn't do anything cocky or talk any more smack than that one hole, because he was on nerves. I really didn't act too flashy or anything, like I would have if I was with my high school friends, goofing around. I just played. I talked with the group about different stuff, them asking about football or who we were picking to win in the NCAA tournament. Normal stuff. Yet I feel that, as I always do, I am reading too much into this guy being mad me, and that I need to let it go. Your thoughts?

That's what I'm thinking.

Thanks. That was my second best round ever. The best coming when I played with our mini's best player. It seemed like it elevated my game to play with people better than those I usually do. I usually shoot around two or three under. I might just take it more seriously or something.

This type of crap happens in all sports. Just forget him and keep playing the game. Congrats on the sweet round and the ace!

The guy was jealous no doubt. I know a few of people that take this sport very seriously and don't like it when they lose to who they feel is inferior to them. His problem sounds like he has put in a lot of time and resources into the sport then some younger player (you) comes in and beats him in front of his posse. I think its funny he reacted that way, and if I lost to you I would shake your hand and say good round. Congrats man.

That guy sounds like a douche. As soon as you noticed he was acting like that, you should have got all in his head talking all kinds of sh*t. If I would of hit that ace on the last hole to beat that jerk, my fat ass would of been strutting all over that tee pad like f'n Ric Flair. :lol:

rKp said:
That guy sounds like a douche. As soon as you noticed he was acting like that, you should have got all in his head talking all kinds of sh*t. If I would of hit that ace on the last hole to beat that jerk, my fat ass would of been strutting all over that tee pad like f'n Ric Flair. :lol:
WOOOOOOOOOO! then give him the rick flair chop :)

My favorite part about having some decent disc golf skills is when I show up a guy in front of his girl. I can count on it just about every time I go to Zilker Park in Austin. I don't really throw that far, like 350ft when I am "on" and that is with this flippy orc I have had for a while, normally like 300ft with a teebird which is average. Anyways since Zilker is beginner friendly I always end up passing a group of newer players and ripping some sick shot and feeling like a badass haha.

If any of you have played Zilker, on hole #5, I ended up ripping a Teebird about 400ft(its downhill) over the road past hole 3 into the parking lot under the bridge. By far my longest throw EVER. Shirtless frat boy was on tee 7 with his girl and was absolutely stunned. He was that kind of guy that throws really fucking hard but his disc goes no where because he can't control it. She ends up telling me nice shot, I say thank you and smile, locking eyes with her on purpose. Glance at him, and he is still speechless, pick up my bag and walk down to get my disc. :D 4 holes later I get my first ace with that same Teebird. Was a glorious day and my disc golf ego got like 100x bigger. :D

This kind of jealousy stuff is just part of sports, some guys just hate not being the best. It is out job to show them up :D I realize my entire post sounds totally evil, but you guys can't tell me you haven't done the same kind of stuff. It just feels to good

yeah that is always nice, that happens like every time i play golden gate, I will end up passing some group of college kids out with their hot girlfriends, when i finally maneuver my way to play through there is usually a distinct GASP and wow! from the girls in the group when i drive (not like i have too much power, 400 or so) and if i look back there is usually 3 or 4 half drunk college dudes with their heads bowed in shame :lol:

It sounds like he's the type of guy who is totally regimented in what he does and can't imagine doing anything other than "the way it's supposed to be done" so, on top of his natural arrogance that doesn't like a stranger doing better than him, he's getting pissed about how you're doing stuff that might seem a little unusual (throwing a distance driver from 175, throwing a roller on rocky ground, letting a Boss glide downhill to the basket) but works for you and helps you beat him. So he has all his specialized equipment and such, his 15 discs that probably each has a specific use that he won't deviate from, has probably spent all kinds of time learning precisely how to throw and exactly how each disc should be used, yet he lost to a young guy who just trys random things that he thinks might work and trusts his ability to fill in the gaps. Combine that with him being obviously competitive and hating to lose.....and you get that. It sounds like he has forgotten that playing disc golf (or whatever sport, as like Mobster mentioned these kind of people show up in any activity) is first and foremost about going out and having some fun.

JimW said:
It sounds like he has forgotten that playing disc golf (or whatever sport, as like Mobster mentioned these kind of people show up in any activity) is first and foremost about going out and having some fun.

truth

That reminds me of my buddy Kyle, whose parents had him throwing a Frisbee since he was a little kid. When his mom would take him for a walk, she had him play object disc golf without even knowing what disc golf was. She just thought it would be fun to set up targets for him to hit in the neighborhood - trees, mailboxes, etc. They put in a disc golf course in the area in the early 90's in the same park they played minor league baseball at, so they began to play disc golf there. Anyway, this kid has been playing for as long as he remember, and he got me and all of our friends into the sport. He never carried more than one or two discs with him (a driver and occasionally a putter) and would still get fantastic scores. Just a natural.

Anyway, I talked him into playing the Discraft Ace Race in 2007 and he ended up winning it after hitting one ace and running the chains twice. A local pro who is about 970something rated was tied with him, and they had to throw for CTP on the first hole to win it, and my buddy put it up against the pin. Most people there couldn't believe their eyes - this kid who has no discs, no bag, who they have never seen before, came out of nowhere and took it all.

He later played in a tournament, his only event ever, and both his rounds averaged out to about a 959. I think he used 4 discs total - a Wraith, a Predator, a Buzzz and a Wizard.

MDR_3000 said:
You gotta learn how to talk shit. I love it when people run off at the mouth in competition.

this.

shoot, i suck, and i can still talk trash with the best of them.

ask furthur.

roman said:
That reminds me of my buddy Kyle, whose parents had him throwing a Frisbee since he was a little kid. When his mom would take him for a walk, she had him play object disc golf without even knowing what disc golf was. She just thought it would be fun to set up targets for him to hit in the neighborhood - trees, mailboxes, etc. They put in a disc golf course in the area in the early 90's in the same park they played minor league baseball at, so they began to play disc golf there. Anyway, this kid has been playing for as long as he remember, and he got me and all of our friends into the sport. He never carried more than one or two discs with him (a driver and occasionally a putter) and would still get fantastic scores. Just a natural.

Anyway, I talked him into playing the Discraft Ace Race in 2007 and he ended up winning it after hitting one ace and running the chains twice. A local pro who is about 970something rated was tied with him, and they had to throw for CTP on the first hole to win it, and my buddy put it up against the pin. Most people there couldn't believe their eyes - this kid who has no discs, no bag, who they have never seen before, came out of nowhere and took it all.

He later played in a tournament, his only event ever, and both his rounds averaged out to about a 959. I think he used 4 discs total - a Wraith, a Predator, a Buzzz and a Wizard.

Last week I took just 3 discs with me because I had class first then I was gonna meet a buddy on the course. Think I am gonna start doing that more because I feel like a tool sometimes walking around with like 12-15 discs and quad shocks.

I surely wouldn't be able to finish that round out without telling him to STFU, you're a bigger person than me. I've never met someone like that, at least not on the course. I would have called him on his bet when he said you couldn't throw that shot again for 5 bucks, then walked off the next time he bitched. I'm not that consistent though so I really would have just challenged him to a distance contest lol.

Oh, dang, this board has more way more traffic than I thought.

I just got mad with him saying all my shots were luck. I play literally five or more times a week, and right now in Flagstaff, that's a lot. I practice putting quite a bit, too. From whatever time I'm ready to go to school, to when I have to leave. Usually about twenty minutes in my garage.

I talked to my friend Doug who frequents the league. After describing his red bag and red straps, he's pretty sure it's the same guy who missed a putt to drop out of the money last year at the Tree Bash, and drove his destroyer into the basket from about five feet, and split the disc on the basket. And when destroyers first came out, he apparently had five hot pink destroyers in his bag.

Went and got one more round in after posting that first message in the waning light, and shot a two under 52. It was a really good day as far as scores are concerned.