• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jenkins/McBeth forehand (this is why we can't have nice things)

Agray8316

Hey everyone,

I am looking to work on my forehand technique so I'm looking into several different variations. I was wondering what the advantages, if any, there are in the style McBeth and Jenkins throw theirs. I'm talking mostly about the wind uo motion they have in their backswing. Is there a specific purpose to this or is it just a comfort thing?

I think its just to get them into the rhythm of their throw, I don't think it helps them at all. I do think for those learning sidearm it could be bad for them to attempt to line of shots like this because then you have to go from a vertical angle with the disc to a horizontal angle for throwing while also running up. for me personally I have always focused on going flat back and flat through similar to backhand.
How I approach:

I wish i could go there everyday. Theres a mcfly video of there, its ashe county park

I wish i could go there everyday. Theres a mcfly video of there, its ashe county park

Had to watch it just to see, place looks absolutely stunning.

I can't wind up like they do, for some reason it throws me off. Granted I usually just play the flick, not really any sort of forehand player, but when I did try I had to start more at my side and throw or accuracy flew out the window. Maybe as I progress my forehand that'll change.

Agreed with you folks. I throw mostly sidearm from the tee and felt like I could somehow get more power with that style of wind-up. I would much rather stand and deliver as accuracy is better than distance eight days a week!

I've always been confused about why they would add unnecessary actions, seems they swing the disc around on trajectories that appear to have nothing to do with the shot. If there is something about it that really does improve the consistency or accuracy or power, I'd love to know how it works. Those guys obviously turn it into gold so who can criticize them for for it. But would they add that to a noob's technique if they were giving a lesson? And if so, why?

Personally I have found improvement of both BH and FH by going in the opposite direction, trying as best i can to focus only on the necessary motions, and simplify as much as possible.

Personally since I have a background in High School and College Baseball; My approach to forehand/sidearm is the same approach a submarine pitcher would, I release really low, almost like I am throwing underhand which in a sense I am. One of the guys I regularly play with is having this same issue, most of it is a mental thing and having confidence you can do it. The rest is your release and using your body. Jenkins and McBeth use the windup because up and around because they have what I call the softball approach, starting your hand up above your hand and circling to your hip at release is a natural arm motion like walking. Same as the angle I use, turning at the side and "snapping" the disc with just your wrist and forearm is going to cause arm problems (Tennis Elbow). Using your body is best, stepping and rotating at the hips and using your entire arm and shoulders to make a rotational movement. As for grip on the disc I suggest to fingers under the rim on the ring finger side of the middle finger, your thumb should be trying to pinch the middle finger and when you throw, reach out towards your target, don't try and force the disc to do something just let it fly. Oh and don't hold back on throwing it, you have to give it some good snap or its just going to flutter throwing hand side and not very far. Spin is important.

I do the same motion for my sidearms. It was never intentional. One of the old school guys I learned from did it, and I just mimicked. It just helps me set my rhythm. Nothing more.

You can see it at 4:06:

Last edited:
I've always been confused about why they would add unnecessary actions, seems they swing the disc around on trajectories that appear to have nothing to do with the shot.

I think it is similar to why some players take an x-step even when it loads zero momentum into the shot. It becomes a part of the physical cues that help you with the motion.

Personally I don't like adding anything unnecessary.

I'll give my 0.02 "Momentum" when you come up and around there is no need to stop you arm or "Momentum" when you come from below you need to pull back, stop, then proceed to go forward...... This is the same mind set when I drive RHBH I don't pull my arm back, stop then go forward. I run up around my arm and pull through with my whole body.

I'll give my 0.02 "Momentum" when you come up and around there is no need to stop you arm or "Momentum" when you come from below you need to pull back, stop, then proceed to go forward...... This is the same mind set when I drive RHBH I don't pull my arm back, stop then go forward. I run up around my arm and pull through with my whole body.

FKoAltN.gif

I think I understand what you're saying with the BH, but w/ a FH - you think that a flat backswing would require more of a chopping motion?

BTW, thanks for your input. We use your form as the gold standard for breaking down form. I probably owe you a beer for how much I've used used your videos.

From 2011-- YUUUUP!

The first throw in the vid is about 520', basket is 571'. They both are featured in the vid and the full coverage will be on next month's DG Monthly.

Ricky does the same thing really its just less of a direct fluid motion and even more powerful.

Last edited:
FKoAltN.gif

I think I understand what you're saying with the BH, but w/ a FH - you think that a flat backswing would require more of a chopping motion?

BTW, thanks for your input. We use your form as the gold standard for breaking down form. I probably owe you a beer for how much I've used used your videos.

I don't drink but I am glad I can be a good example, I constantly work on my form so to see it's paying off and helping other brings a smile to my face.

Nice, this is just the discussion I needed to give me some new ideas to fix my forehand. Been meaning to watch some videos but hadn't gotten around to it. Currently its just a utility stand still kinda shot, as I throw all arm the run up is a waste and doesn't help. I think this might actually help me get more of my shoulder into the throw and hopefully take some stress off my elbow.

I don't drink but I am glad I can be a good example, I constantly work on my form so to see it's paying off and helping other brings a smile to my face.

Alright, I'll make it a burrito then. :D

paulBH.gif

The video with that clip in it was pretty much my reference point for building my form. That gif gets passed around here more than a common cold.

Paul posts a couple tips on form and now literally thousands of DGers will be out in the snow and rain this weekend practicing his tips, me included.....