• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just starting out. Disc recommendations?

Micycle

A friend took me disc golfing the other day and I'm looking into getting a set of discs. Any suggestions for someone just starting out?

Nothing faster than a mid, unless its a leopard. Understable as well(Comet, wolf, stingray, etc)...and don't get max weights either. Low to mid 160s is more than enough. If you search the threads you'll find several threads with similar questions. They may not all be titled correctly though.

I have been playing for a about 8 months now. I would recommend getting a fairway driver or a midrange and a putter. If your local course(s) are wooded, a more durable plastic would probably be best. I started out with a champion teebird and pro rhyno. However, I would also recommend:

Fairway drivers:

- Innova Teebird
- Innova Leopard
- Discraft XL

Midranges:

- Discraft Buzzz
- Innova Roc
- Innova Cobra

Putters:

- Innova Rhyno (in pro plastic)
- Innova Star Aero

By the way, I would recommend mids and drivers in the mid 160's. Good luck with your search!

If I had it to do over:

Aviar (putter), Cobra or Coyote (mid), Leopard (fairway driver) - all about 165-167 in DX plastic

These will be easier to throw and learn on and not cost a fortune. As you get the hang of it, you could add a Roc, and then eventually a Teebird. These 5 would cover most of your game.

Don't get distance crazy, trying all the distance drivers. All in good time.

Of course, some help in proper technique from some of your more experienced friends and local club is just as important.

Leopard, Stingray and Aviar. The old innova starter kit lol. Of course the new one is just as good as well, it just has a shark instead of Stingray. I imagine Discrafts starter kit would be good as well.

Stick with those until you start flipping the Leopard (driver) over. (Meaning it startes flying straight then turning right RHBH and doesnt come back left.)

How good of an arm do you have in general? Are you pretty good at throwing an ultimate frisbee disc, baseball, football, etc... ? If you are already fairly accomplished at throwing something else, your learning curve will be steeper and you'll outgrow some of the very understable discs rather quickly.

The new mako would be a good disc for a beginner.

Agreed. If you're going to use a midrange for a driver get that or maybe the stingray. If you go for a fairway driver get a leopard not a teebird unless you receive someone's used beat in disc. For a putter I would say Anything from gateway if you can or then a soft magnet(discraft) or aviar(innova). As for weight stick as close to 165g as you can for the driver or midrange, but a putter people tend to like beefy(ish) so maybe 170-175g. I started with a 174g Super Soft voodoo. If all of this seems like too much to take in don't worry and see if your friend knows of a good shop with knowledgeable people or see if he will help you pick things out.

As for plastics. Innova cheapest to expensive it goes DX, pro, champion, star.(there is R-pro but no one likes R-pro, gets beat up too easily). See what feels right, plastics and all. Champion should be the most durable, then star, then I think pro and then DX.

Nothing faster than a mid, unless its a leopard. Understable as well(Comet, wolf, stingray, etc)...and don't get max weights either. Low to mid 160s is more than enough. If you search the threads you'll find several threads with similar questions. They may not all be titled correctly though.

What he said. If I was to start over from scratch this is the one disc to use for just about every situation. I like the Champion plastic best and get a very bright color like baby blue or pink. They are easiest to see. The Leopard is very forgiving and goes plenty far enough for someone starting out. And in Champion plastic at least it's a passable putter.

What he said. If I was to start over from scratch this is the one disc to use for just about every situation. I like the Champion plastic best and get a very bright color like baby blue or pink. They are easiest to see. The Leopard is very forgiving and goes plenty far enough for someone starting out. And in Champion plastic at least it's a passable putter.

Good point. Real men throw pink...or orange. Though personally I think Champion(even though I love champion plastic) would be a bad choice for a putter, DX would be better IMO. Basically for a putter people generally pick something they think will like sticking to the chains like the rubbery plastics from gateway aka Soft, Super Soft, Super Stupid Soft, and Organic(correct me if there are any more out there).

I would also recommend the innova started kit. However, even though you are goin to want to throw that driver on long holes, I would recommend that you don't even pick it up until you get good with the shark. When you can consistently throw it low, flat, and staight, THEN start throwing the leopard. When you start turning it over too much (throwing it flat and the disc going right), and if you really like the leopard, go ahead and get a heavier, premium leopard (star or champion).

I started out with a sidewinder, a coyote, and a rhyno. I did not know a THiNG about them, I bought them cause they were yellow. The sidewinder worked well until I flipped it into the lake one day, so I bought a 175 star wraith. Had it not been for my strong ultimate frisbee background, I probably couldn't have handled the wraith. Be patient with the shark and the leopard and you will be fine.

Oh, and puttiing is probably te most important thing to work on, no matter what stage you are in disc golf.

Forget DX for anything other than putters and slow midranges, try and find X outs and factory seconds because they're not that much more expensive than DX/pro D and they'll hold form a lot better. Any putter that feels good in your hand, Midrange: Coyote or Aurora MS, Drivers: Teebird and a JLS.

I'm sorry but A teebird's pretty overstable for a noobie driver...so why do people keep suggesting it?

If I was starting someone out I'd give them these discs, mainly because I have them (and are selling them... all new) but it's a good set.

1. XL (fairway driver)
2. Buzzz (midrange)
3. Omega SuperSoft (putter)

As for plastic, I don't get the whole "buy DX" stuff. The courses I play are heavily wooded and a DX just gets banged up too easily. Buy a good set in ESP (Discraft) or Star (Innova) and you won't have to worry when you slam your new disc right into a tree 10 feet off of the tee.

Here's what I'd start out with if I had it to do all over again with the discs currently available:

Driver: Discraft Stalker- straightest driver out there, and easy to control even if you don't possess much power. This is a disc that can stay in your bag as you gain power too because it has decent high speed stability

Mid range: Discraft Comet- easily controllable disc that will take the line you give it and go there. Once power is increased it finds use as an understable mid.

Putter: Discraft Magnet (hard or soft depending on what feels best in your hand)-, the only putter you'll ever need.

Well I only said buy DX because it's cheaper and he may lose it as most people I know who have owned a leopard lost it(likely because they were just starting) so instead of losing around $15 worth of a disc you lose about 8. Anyways I would say if you have courses heavily wooded just go with champion, it's the most durable plastic or elite z if in discraft. Personally I don't see the use in spending the extra dollar or so on star since it's extra grip doesn't seem to offer all that much extra.

I'm sorry but A teebird's pretty overstable for a noobie driver...so why do people keep suggesting it?

I don't think Teebirds are overstable for noobs, unless you have a pretty weak armed noob. It's a fairway driver so it's pretty slow and I wish like crazy I had picked a Tbird as my first driver. I would suggest a TL but it only comes in Star.

Hmmm... I'll throw in here too (pun intended)

Get stuff you will probably fall in love with in the long run and will probably stay in your bag regardless.
To that end I'd recommend a Roc or a Shark. If the Shark then DX is fine as the Shark can take a bit of bruising before it gets to be all chewed out and only good as a roller disc. Gotta say I love my Shark. The Leopard or Teebird are both great choices for some reasonable distance... I'd guess that the Leopard may be the better one to get going with and probably will remain in your bag as you grow. Get Champion plastic on that one. I hear more people here recommending the Rhino and it is a great putter. That thing won't glide much and will just drop off without rolling around too much so it is good if you miss your putt...could help you to shave strokes from putts gone bad. Keep it simple and learn just a few discs real well...then as your form gets better and your distance shots seem to be lacking something, work up the ladder of Distance Drivers. By that time you will probably be able to pick which ones will suit your needs.

So to sum it up:
Leopard in Champion plastic (mid 160's)
Shark in DX plastic (probably 170 or greater)
Rhino in Champion plastic (higher 170's)

Can't go wrong with those choices. You may substitute the Shark with a Roc but try to get one in Star plastic.

btw - the guy didn't ask for help with his budget, just on disc choices so stop bickering over DX and hitting trees. DX has a good application for some discs and I think that will serve as a better answer here. The guy could be rollin' up to the course in a Bentley for all we know....

Last edited:

Latest posts