• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just venting

Happens all the time, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I recommend you film yourself and submit it either here, or directly to somebody who is willing to critique your form.

Get hyzer flipping out of your head. Getting turn on a driver at 270' means OAT, no exceptions. You are mortgaging your future if your field sessions are training up OAT levels.

False. If he was flipping a destroyer you'd be right, but he said understable fairway drivers. Understable fairway drivers should flip at 270.

False. If he was flipping a destroyer you'd be right, but he said understable fairway drivers. Understable fairway drivers should flip at 270.

Never thrown an inspire, I have no idea. The DX archangel could be thrashed, so maybe. Gstar valk and Leo3 no way should they flip at 270' of power. Sorry to be "that guy" but it is for your own good; if your expectation is for a fairway driver to flip at 270' you are setting your expectations too low.

Never thrown an inspire, I have no idea. The DX archangel could be thrashed, so maybe. Gstar valk and Leo3 no way should they flip at 270' of power. Sorry to be "that guy" but it is for your own good; if your expectation is for a fairway driver to flip at 270' you are setting your expectations too low.

I get what you mean, but you have no idea how beat up his stuff is. I have discs in my trunk I can hyzerflip at 270 and it has nothing to do with OAT. But to your point, if someone is having trouble reaching 270 generally, then yea, I'm guessing OAT has a lot to do with the flipping.

Unless you are launching it straight into the ground, yes it does.

I throw XL's, Mamba's and River's in the woods with a hyzer flip for 270' all the time. Perhaps you don't or can't, but to say it cannot be done is not correct.

I throw XL's, Mamba's and River's in the woods with a hyzer flip for 270' all the time. Perhaps you don't or can't, but to say it cannot be done is not correct.

I'm sure you do it all the time, with OAT. You cannot do that with clean form. Unless the discs are absolutely thrashed, insane headwind, or some other extenuating circumstances. To my point, OP is talking about field work, where extenuating circumstances are kept to a minimum because the goal is to dial in form. In that situation trying to generate turn at 270' power with a fairway driver is a bad move.

I'm sure you do it all the time, with OAT. You cannot do that with clean form. Unless the discs are absolutely thrashed, insane headwind, or some other extenuating circumstances. To my point, OP is talking about field work, where extenuating circumstances are kept to a minimum because the goal is to dial in form. In that situation trying to generate turn at 270' power with a fairway driver is a bad move.

Nope, I have a pretty good handle on OAT. When and how valuable a low, screaming hyzer flip, at 270 actually is............well, that is a different discussion and not your statement below. I am comfortable with you believing it is impossible. I will keep putting the shot to work where I think it fits a hole or my game.

When and how valuable a low, screaming hyzer flip, at 270 actually is...........

Did I not say unless you throw it into the ground? You aren't talking about a 270' of power shot, you are talking about a 350' of power shot thrown low enough where it doesn't reach its potential.

Just for reference, apart from my roc, my discs aren't beat in very much at all. The inspire is a speed 6 so I have 4 drivers, speeds 6,7,8, and 9 which are all understable and there is no noticable difference in distance between them at this point for me.

Again, thanks to everyone for your feedback! It is much appreciated!

I think I'm going to forego the run-up again and practice being smooth and having a really straight reach back and probably stick to mids and putters for awhile.

I've watched so many instructional videos that it feels like I'm overloaded with small things to focus on.

I like this video

https://youtu.be/aVu8Uhjj90I

By Danny Lindahl a lot and feel it is fairly concise with just enough small points to think about for now. What do you think of this short video?

An inspire is a speed 6 disc with a turn of -3. That sure sounds like something that will flip at 270.

A DX archangel that has hit a few trees is also very likely to be flippy.

The leopard and valk probably shouldn't flip. But if they are low weight, they certainly will.

Did I not say unless you throw it into the ground? You aren't talking about a 270' of power shot, you are talking about a 350' of power shot thrown low enough where it doesn't reach its potential.

"Getting turn on a driver at 270' means OAT, no exceptions"

So, you are saying WITH EXCEPTIONS. I suppose given enough caveats, your statement will ultimately stand true......of course, without the no exceptions piece.

My point was, and still is, hyzer flipping can most certainly be done at 270 type distances.

I'm almost two years in now and I also still get really frustrated with my distance, or lack thereof. I surpass 300 feet maybe 5% of the time. I struggle with consistency. It also kind of bums me out that I've never "accidentally" thrown a disc 350' or more. I feel that should have happened by now for as many times as I've thrown a disc, both in games and doing field work.

I'm 50 and I don't think it's in the cards for me to ever really smash. But I keep working at it, hoping in the coming years I can still get better. The funny thing is, amongst my friends, I have a reputation for having a "big arm." Which, by the way, makes me think people really do exaggerate distances. I only count it if it's on level ground and I don't include throws with a strong tailwind. My 270 is probably some people's 350.

"Getting turn on a driver at 270' means OAT, no exceptions"

So, you are saying WITH EXCEPTIONS. I suppose given enough caveats, your statement will ultimately stand true......of course, without the no exceptions piece.

My point was, and still is, hyzer flipping can most certainly be done at 270 type distances.

Sorry I said no exceptions, there are obvious common sense exceptions, like throwing into a tree 270' away, or having aliens laser it out of the sky at 270'.

If you go to the field and are getting out to 270' on a max rip in the best circumstances, you are OATing any turn that you experience. That is what the op's situation is, that is what my on topic post was about, you can check your trolling at the door.

I love Danny's stuff. Easy to understand and he doesn't overwhelm those trying to learn. Plus the "slow is smooth and smooth is far" quote is just plain gangster.

Danny is a bit of a local in my area and we we're super excited when he got picked up by DD. Does anyone know if he's on here?

Sorry I said no exceptions, there are obvious common sense exceptions, like throwing into a tree 270' away, or having aliens laser it out of the sky at 270'.

If you go to the field and are getting out to 270' on a max rip in the best circumstances, you are OATing any turn that you experience. That is what the op's situation is, that is what my on topic post was about, you can check your trolling at the door.

I read this whole thead and i just want to make sure i understand what youre saying here. Are you saying that, it is completely impossible to get any turn out of any disc thrown at 270ft of power? And if you do its because of off axis tourque?

I read this whole thead and i just want to make sure i understand what youre saying here. Are you saying that, it is completely impossible to get any turn out of any disc thrown at 270ft of power? And if you do its because of off axis tourque?

Understable putters, 130-145g drivers, tursas, leopard, wombat, mamba, roadrunners, and many more, are discs that can be throw at 240+ power and have turn in their flight path when thrown flat. Throw them on a hyzer for less turn, anny for more or rollers.

I am saying that absent extenuating circumstances (beat to snot discs, insane headwind, etc) it is impossible to flip a fairway driver or faster without OAT at 270' power.