• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping a positive attitude is just hippie malarkey

Being angry at the world seems like a lot of work and I don't wanna have to work during my disc golf rounds. I think I'm too fundamentally lazy to be as the OP suggests.

^^When I first started playing, I got too mad too often...but not at the other players, at myself. That to me is the difference between positive and negative attitude, w/r/t to the OP.

If the OP needs to get into a "Spartans, prepare for glory!" mental place to be at his best, that can be a "positive" attitude.

But overly beating one's self up over bad play is a no-go.

Somewhat as an aside, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" talks about that. Some players, it's like they feel like they have to get all over themselves when they shank, to show everyone how serious they are. It's sort of subconscious. That really struck a chord with me when I read it.

There is a huge difference between mental attitude and talent, and you are all missing that point.

If my average drive on a long, wide open course is 300', and yours is 450', then it is not because of your mental attitude that you would win most rounds. But the mental attitude to clamp own on every shot, to play the course to your full potential, and cut out every inch possible to compete, while the other guy has the Beaky Buzzard mentality, then is goofing off, seeing how far he can throw his Pig with a heavy backwind, and you beat this person, then that is a mental attitude win. If you force a person with more talent have to buckle down and focus to beat you, then you are doing it right. Then you should wipe the floor with people of equal talent.

But this whole, the OP means be a jerk, we all need to chill out on Bob Marley Tea crap is exactly why you guys lose to people of equal talent than you.

19bf0b6e3a4c8ea6033629fcfc178175.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of different people play this sport. Some think they are better than they really are because they had a good round a couple times. Then pay money to compete and suck it up. I have plenty of friends who play doubles twice a week all year round and then play tourney's and suck. I am very happy that the pro scene is Wisconsin has some awesome people. Long ago, I asked myself "Why am I playing this tourney"? The answer was simple: no fun=no tourney. I play each round with a positive attitude and that has helped me have more fun. Is it fun to pay $75 to play and then have some db ruin the fun for everyone, no it is not. I choose to play events for the courses that I enjoy and the TD that runs the event.

I think the point here was, MJ's approach is at least as successful as yours.

Has the OP ever even competed in a disc golf tournament? I did a little looking and I can't find any record of him doing so. He doesn't have a PDGA number.

I don't see why a person can't focus and have fun at the same time. I'll joke all round long until it is time to take my shot, then I go into my routine and focus and then throw the shot. Then it's back to joking around. If a person has to be super focused the whole round to play well they should probably work on their mental game and learn how to switch between focusing and relaxing. There is a lot of downtime in DG where you are standing around and it seems like it would be really unenjoyable to try and stay focused during all that standing around.

I don't see why a person can't focus and have fun at the same time. I'll joke all round long until it is time to take my shot, then I go into my routine and focus and then throw the shot. Then it's back to joking around. If a person has to be super focused the whole round to play well they should probably work on their mental game and learn how to switch between focusing and relaxing. There is a lot of downtime in DG where you are standing around and it seems like it would be really unenjoyable to try and stay focused during all that standing around.

I agree, and this is how I most enjoy the round and do my best. But it's not easy for everyone, I dig that, and I try to get a feel for when guys are like that, have to keep the laser focus going full-on throughout the round, and try to leave them be. I like when these types wear earbuds, so I know not to get chatty....but I'm gonna do my thing, within the rules.

I agree with this mentality. I would argue that you are better prepared for the unexpected if you are able to jump into your game as opposed to laser focus the entire time. When I'm playing "fun rounds" I'm still practicing. I intentionally don't wave people off behind the basket or wait for the car to get out of sight because you never know what will happen in tourney play.

This also allows me to brush off bad shots easier because I'm able to fully "reset" every shot.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between mental attitude and talent, and you are all missing that point.

If my average drive on a long, wide open course is 300', and yours is 450', then it is not because of your mental attitude that you would win most rounds. But the mental attitude to clamp own on every shot, to play the course to your full potential, and cut out every inch possible to compete, while the other guy has the Beaky Buzzard mentality, then is goofing off, seeing how far he can throw his Pig with a heavy backwind, and you beat this person, then that is a mental attitude win. If you force a person with more talent have to buckle down and focus to beat you, then you are doing it right. Then you should wipe the floor with people of equal talent.

But this whole, the OP means be a jerk, we all need to chill out on Bob Marley Tea crap is exactly why you guys lose to people of equal talent than you.

Have to disagree on your arguments. Disc golf, like golf is a game of mechanics, people don't just throw 400 ft out of raw talent, they have to have proper form, release, and body mechanics, all of which are made increasingly difficult if you have a chip on your shoulder, mentality and stress effects things like heart rate and agitation, which can throw off your timing and control. Believe me, I get way too discouraged too easily, and it shows with my playing, the more frustrated I get the worse I get. Putting especially you need to have a calm and collected manner, all of the best long birdies, and the one short ace I've had have come one days where I was relaxed. Look at Ken Climo, I remember seeing him say in a video, don't worry about the other players, always look at your round as if your playing against the course itself so you don't pressure yourself and take unnecessary risks.

I agree with the post above me, calm is focused. And I don't drink that tea, I prefer the herbal remedies. Lets play a round, watch me beat you with my cool, calm, relaxed, and collected demeanor.

I've always seen the ego as the most despicable quality of man. It is the ego that convinces someone to put their own feelings above that of another person. I wouldn't be far off to say the ego is the root cause of all the unnatural problems on the entire planet Earth.

It peeves me to no end that some ego-maniac, who swears he's always going to make every putt, is at an advantage to me, a realist who knows the real potential outcomes.

two things

I love watching another player make a great shot, even when I'm trying to win.

I need to see a therapist about my putting.

Latest posts