• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Lat Plastic Stability Differences?

JBurke297

Just went out & threw my new 168g GL River for the first time today. This is my first Lat disc & ,while I was impressed by the mold, I really didn't care for the GL plastic. My impression was that the GL plastic resembled Discraft's Ti plastic & this assumption was WAY off. My River felt floppy in the hand & very understable when any OAT was put on it. Very easy to flip over. Just curious if others with an Opto River (or other molds) find their discs to be more stable in the Opto Line vs the GL plastic as I'm seriously considering a trade for an Opto Line River or Fuse (hint hint ;))

Gl is less stable than Opto
but the River is an understable mold so if you OAT it then you will get flipped results

edit: Ti resembles colorshift GL plastic

User error?

Don't OAT. Use that bad boy for a hyzer flip disc. Most Opto's are more stable. Just get one that is heavier too, and it should serve you well.

And if you think a River is too flippy for you, then you will really love the Fuse.

;)

I just picked up a GL river and I love the plastic. I was hoping for a sweet swirly one when I ordered it and I got my wish. Feels really nice

Gl is less stable than Opto
but the River is an understable mold so if you OAT it then you will get flipped results
This

Clean up your form a bit and the river works much better
and this.

The River is a finicky disc at times, especially depending on what weight/plastic you're throwing. As ManU mentioned, Opto generally tends to be more stable (as is the case with most Lat molds), but the River can be especially sensitive to OAT, being overpowered, and nose angles. There have been a few threads about this lately in fact, with the bottom line being practice clean form, release, and speed with it and it will reward you. Beat on it in any way and it'll send your score on down the river.

This

and this.

The River is a finicky disc at times, especially depending on what weight/plastic you're throwing. As ManU mentioned, Opto generally tends to be more stable (as is the case with most Lat molds), but the River can be especially sensitive to OAT, being overpowered, and nose angles. There have been a few threads about this lately in fact, with the bottom line being practice clean form, release, and speed with it and it will reward you. Beat on it in any way and it'll send your score on down the river.

Pun intended:D

all my GL halo's have been more overstable than my opto's that i've tried. but for every other mold of their ive noticed opto is more stable.

Like everyone has stated. The River is a stable to understable disc. Although the Opto my be a little more stable. It won't make that much of a diff. The River is an awesome turnover disc or a nice straight flier with a hyzer flip. Plus it glides for days. As for the GL plastic....to each his own. The Ti plastic from Discraft is a total rip off of the GL, but I like the added grip of the GL over the Ti. I haven't had this happen, but ther is a thread about the TI plastic warping? Didn't read it, but it soundslike an issue?

Something I've been noticing about Latitude plastic over the last year is, the more domey the disc, the more understable it will fly, the flatter the disc the more stable it will fly. The exception is if the disc isn't so much of a dome, but more of a nipple in the middle, it will fly stable. I'm sure there are other exceptions, but this is my noticing so far.

Something I've been noticing about Latitude plastic over the last year is, the more domey the disc, the more understable it will fly, the flatter the disc the more stable it will fly. The exception is if the disc isn't so much of a dome, but more of a nipple in the middle, it will fly stable. I'm sure there are other exceptions, but this is my noticing so far.

Uh...maybe for you. There are only 2 molds in which I found this to be true; Striker and occasional halos are very overstable when flat.

Every other disc has been more stable with more dome.

Uh...maybe for you. There are only 2 molds in which I found this to be true; Striker and occasional halos are very overstable when flat.

Every other disc has been more stable with more dome.

I bought a domey bolt last week that is super flippy, I got through a trade a brand new bolt that is flat as flat, super stable. both are 169.

My flat flow is more stable than most flows.

domey pain vs flat pain same thing.

I may be wrong, but like I said, in my dealings this is what I've noticed.

Latest posts