• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Late Show rules question

There's some support for the bathroom stops in the rulebook. The playing area has to be "free of distractions" 801.03A(3) before the player's 30 seconds starts. If my trunk is really uncomfortable then that could qualify as a distraction. And potentially related to this, a player farting could be distracting for the other players...:)

The rules don't have a provision for bathroom stops (or injuries, for that matter). You can't call "Time Out". BUT it'd be a cold-hearted group who didn't bend the rules a little in either case.

Yes they do - 30 seconds. :D

Actually (more seriously), there is wiggle room in the "reasonable time" clause, and you could always tell the group if they are cold-hearted "I'm hitting the head and will be late to the tee. Give me an Excessive Time warning when I get back if you want."

801.03 Excessive Time:
A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:
(1) the previous player has thrown; and,
(2) the player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
(3) the playing area is clear and free of distractions.
B. A player shall receive a warning for the first excessive time violation if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent excessive time violation in the same round if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

There's some support for the bathroom stops in the rulebook. The playing area has to be "free of distractions" 801.03A(3) before the player's 30 seconds starts. If my trunk is really uncomfortable then that could qualify as a distraction. And potentially related to this, a player farting could be distracting for the other players...:)

Problem is, to be legal you would have to relieve yourself at the tee per 801.03.A.02-03. And then that would violate park rules and that would result in an automatic DQ :D

Last edited:
Chuck - the 999 talk made me think of something from years ago: is/was the 777 code ever used for something in scoring? I used to know this because I got in a discussion about it, but have since forgotten.

Actually (more seriously), there is wiggle room in the "reasonable time" clause, and you could always tell the group if they are cold-hearted "I'm hitting the head and will be late to the tee. Give me an Excessive Time warning when I get back if you want."

801.03 Excessive Time:
(2) the player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
B. A player shall receive a warning for the first excessive time violation if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent excessive time violation in the same round if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

Correction (since I can't edit....and I do hate talking to myself): I suppose technically that you would have to arrive at the tee (or disc) first and then announce your bathroom break.

Yes they do - 30 seconds. :D

801.03 Excessive Time:

Ah, very good. One permissable excessive time violation per round. Use it wisely.

Chuck - the 999 talk made me think of something from years ago: is/was the 777 code ever used for something in scoring? I used to know this because I got in a discussion about it, but have since forgotten.
Yes. I'm not sure what that was for although I'm thinking it was when a player had to skip a round for some reason but was coming back to play remaining rounds and wanted those to count for ratings. I think Gentry just handles it with a 999 for the missed round score and the other rounds do get rated.

lol. We had a lady, recently pregant, who couldn't hurry back and forth to the restrooms because her chesticles were too sensitive for running. Just imagine us calling out to her to hurry up for fear of getting penalty throws, as she continues to casually stroll her way back to the group. lol.

Creative rule usage is fun! Imagine your card mate stubs a drive into a tree two feet from the tee, and you call a foot fault, which is seconded, and they get a warning and retee with no penalty. Good times!

Latest posts