• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Late Show rules question

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
What happens when someone on your card shows up late and has missed a couple of holes. What is their score for the holes they missed. I was told that it was always 9, but my PDGA TD didnt even know the accurate ruling. The guy never showed up for rd 2 but was curious nonetheless. The whole course is par 3 if that makes a difference.

I think I'm right someone else will know for sure. I dont play too many tournaments and haven't encountered that yet.

i think on any hole you can take 4 plus par

if you havent thrown from the tee

It's par plus 4 for each missed hole at the beginning of a round per Competition Manual rule 1.5B(1). You must complete a round or it's a DNF (did not finish). In other words, you can be late for a few holes at the start of the round and take par + 4s on those holes. You cannot skip the last few holes of a round and take par + 4s on those. It's a DNF.

Found it in Competition Manual 1.5

If a player is not present to throw when it
is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown after the 30 seconds has elapsed, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole.

Boo, Chuck beat me :(...

It's par plus 4 for each missed hole at the beginning of a round per Competition Manual rule 1.5B(1). You must complete a round or it's a DNF (did not finish). In other words, you can be late for a few holes at the start of the round and take par + 4s on those holes. You cannot skip the last few holes of a round and take par + 4s on those. It's a DNF.

thanks for the help

Chuck...that would be the post par on the sign correct? I've seen courses where the par on the sign is one thing but different on the score cards used for the tournament.

I have a related question regarding mAking the turn and stopping at the restrooms rather than going immediately to the tee, even when the tee is not backed up. What if one plyer goes to the restroom, and everyone else goes to the tee and waits? How long are they supposed to wait? What of the next card arrives and becomes impatient? Can they stroke the people at the tee for waiting?

The rules don't have a provision for bathroom stops (or injuries, for that matter). You can't call "Time Out". BUT it'd be a cold-hearted group who didn't bend the rules a little in either case.

Chuck...that would be the post par on the sign correct? I've seen courses where the par on the sign is one thing but different on the score cards used for the tournament.

I'd think the scorecard would have precedent, if provided by the TD.

It always has been at Earlewood (where the signs are a bit.....silly).

No kidding...some places have 250' par 5s, imagine that beatdown? Might as well just not show up at all.

how does the score get added for someone with a DNF hole?

my guess is that there is no score at all for that person. probably labeled as DNF where everyone else would have their score for the round?

If the "DNF" hole is the first hole of the round, you simply enter the score for that hole as a number which equals par + 4. Missing any other hole in the round other than the first one is a DNF and you can simply write that in the Total score box on the card.

Actually (semantics) the only way you can get a score is a DNS (did not start) if you DNF you 999.

The rules don't have a provision for bathroom stops (or injuries, for that matter). You can't call "Time Out". BUT it'd be a cold-hearted group who didn't bend the rules a little in either case.

Seriously!
I played in a Monthly yesterday and both times we got to Hole #19 one of the guys on my card had to hit the bathrooms.
We of course waited and even let one group play through. Everyone on both cards agreed that a bathroom trip shouldn't be penalized.