• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Trident.

I liked how you could count a full-powered drive not going that far because it's such a bad glider, which sounds unhelpful, but it was reliable.

It's one of those things that took me a while to wrap my head around...sometimes the last thing you want is to blow by the basket/landing area.

yeah i avoided uber stable stuff for a while, but there is something about throwing a trident and knowing all it wants to do is go straight and fade hard. every time!!

thread jack here
looking for a red shift GL trident or a cool stamped opto one

I had to jump back in here...

I dumped my flat Firebird in the drink today, so I picked up a 175 Opto xXx on the recommendation, and took it out for a round at Renny Gold.

While I agree that it's a close cousin to a standard Firebird, this xXx I have is nowhere NEAR as OS as the flat Firebird. No comparison, IMO. By flat Firebird, I don't mean less domey than normal. It was PERFECTLY flat on top, most OS disc I've come across by far.

That being said, the xXx is dope, I psycho-yanked it into a blustery headwind several times today, and got a nice late hard hook out of it.

For the sake of thread integrity, I'm looking forward to snagging a Trident now for comparison.
congrats to finding a XXX less overstable than any variety of firebird. Its a rare one.

Would you consider a Trident a fairway driver or a midrange? Latitude classifies it as a driver (speed 5), however, I have heard throwers refer to as more of a midrange? I'm seeking an overstable "midrange" to compliment my Buzzz SS for heavy winds, skip shots, or just dependable fade. The rim looks more like a driver, which appears to be (if it doesn't go to far) since stable midranges tend to float on the wind rather than cutting it. I use a Predator as my wind/skip driver. Thoughts?

Would you consider a Trident a fairway driver or a midrange? Latitude classifies it as a driver (speed 5), however, I have heard throwers refer to as more of a midrange? I'm seeking an overstable "midrange" to compliment my Buzzz SS for heavy winds, skip shots, or just dependable fade. The rim looks more like a driver, which appears to be (if it doesn't go to far) since stable midranges tend to float on the wind rather than cutting it. I use a Predator as my wind/skip driver. Thoughts?
I don't think you'd find something closer to being a true mid which would skip as much as a Trident. I love it.

Per the recommendations in this thread, I have been using the Opto Trident as an overstable midrange the past two months. I am quite pleased with it's performance and earned a spot in the bag.

Unlike other midrange discs I have had, it fights wind like a driver. I can throw it on a steep anhyzer and trust it will work it's way back. When it hits wind, it doesn't lift to the wind...it fights like a champ. It skips well if it hits the ground early, but hits and stays if it hits later (steeper angle). Great utility disc for sky flex shots to get over stuff. Today, I played a short 9 hole course in 25 mph winds. The Trident held up like a champ. More reliable than my Predator in the wind. I used it for 100 foot approaches and 220 foot drives off the tee. Accurate, predictable, and overstable beauty. I confidently threw it hard into a very stiff head wind on a slight anhyzer and it drove hard and long ending in a nice hyzer for a 200 foot park job.

Now I just need to find a GL Trident for lighter duties...

I'm planning to get a Trident and have a quick question. From reading this thread this is a great very OS mid/fairway disc. I want something for short dogleg holes. If I throw a Trident how much distance are we talking about after it makes the turn? Does it fade hard and get to the ground quick or can I expect a longer hard fade?

The Trident has a somewhat unique kind of flight...very L-shaped. I used to throw Gold Line Tridents and I never though it really dumped when fading, particularly on a flat release...it'd just sort of coast in. If I wanted it to dump sooner, I'd give it more of a hyzer release.

i throw 2 tridents in my bag i have a 177 for a huge dumping fade that doesnt go far and then i have a 173 that is beat in and it glides out while it fades so it goes more left but its gental.

I'm planning to get a Trident and have a quick question. From reading this thread this is a great very OS mid/fairway disc. I want something for short dogleg holes. If I throw a Trident how much distance are we talking about after it makes the turn? Does it fade hard and get to the ground quick or can I expect a longer hard fade?

^^^For this shot, I'd look at getting a 175g Opto Trident. The GL is a little longer and has more glide.

I use a 175g Opto Trident for these shots with very predictable results. Hole # 6 at Pendleton King Park is a blind 245 dogleg where a powered down Trident thrown flat is perfect to get around the corner.

I love how dependable this disc is and also use it for putting on extremely windy days.

Threw a Trident for the first time today; a 170g Gold Line that is pretty beat up.

Seems pretty solid; reminds me of a not-so-overstable domey Firebird I used to have. Almost right in between an FX and an FL. It seemed to glide a lot more; instead of just dying out at the end of it's flight, it cruised down while fading. But, that was into a headwind so maybe it is more similar to a Firebird than I give it credit for.

If I forgot my Firebird(s) at home, seems like this could fit right in. Backhands, some FH rollers, a thumber, and a FH anny shot behaved exactly as expected.

Thrown 3 Tridents: GL 173g from new to moderate, Opto 175g from new to moderate, Opto 166g basically new. Currently carry the light Opto.

Personal opinion that even though Lat lists its flight numbers at 5/2/0/5, I'd rate them closer to 7/3/-1/5. I cannot think of this disc as a midrange at all. No matter what numbers it is given, it doesn't feel like a midrange disc and cuts through air much more quickly. It may be blunt edged for a driver, but its no mid. Still makes for a great placement shot disc though because it is so predictable. Of the 3 I've thrown, they've all been pretty comparable across plastics and weights.

I love them. My go-to disc for forehand shots. My favorite use is to stretch out its flight around obstacles on a slight anhyzer line. Perfect windy day control driver. Wonderful for low ceiling skip shots.

Thrown 3 Tridents: GL 173g from new to moderate, Opto 175g from new to moderate, Opto 166g basically new. Currently carry the light Opto.

Personal opinion that even though Lat lists its flight numbers at 5/2/0/5, I'd rate them closer to 7/3/-1/5. I cannot think of this disc as a midrange at all. No matter what numbers it is given, it doesn't feel like a midrange disc and cuts through air much more quickly. It may be blunt edged for a driver, but its no mid. Still makes for a great placement shot disc though because it is so predictable. Of the 3 I've thrown, they've all been pretty comparable across plastics and weights.

I love them. My go-to disc for forehand shots. My favorite use is to stretch out its flight around obstacles on a slight anhyzer line. Perfect windy day control driver. Wonderful for low ceiling skip shots.

What would you give the xxx for speed rating if you give this a 7? just wondering, because Ihavent thrown either and have heard others agree with you on the speed. But if the trident flies like a 7, then you would think the xxx would have a 9 speed rating.

I would give the trident a speed of 6 and the xxx an 8. I find the trident has more of an "L" flight and the xxx a "C" flight. The trident depending on weight and wear does usually gain or has a slight turn to it thrown flat and a hard fade.