• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lazar Etching Discs?

kentsecor56

I was looking at a video about a new desktop Lazar etching machine that is on the market for about $3000. It cuts materials up to 1/2" and can etch most anything. It can scan a drawing then cut and etch.

Would be great for making your own bag tags or awards.

My question is what it the legality, PDGA rules affecting etching a disc? It would make the graphics more durable than a hot foil, and you could apply colors in the etchings, say by dying.

I'm not super familiar with how etching works, but I would apply the disc modification rule that says adding anything of a disc enable thickness is illegal. The rule is intended for stickers, but I think it would app,y to etching, even though it is removing and not adding something.

Lazar etching would be a deep of a cut as you set it to. Hot Foil stamping adds a very slight thickness to the disc and some small weight.

etching would be like scratching the service of the disk, to imprint the design, making it more permanent and not likely to rub or wear off, like foils can with use and time.

It would decrease the weight some small amount, but not much different then the weight added when a disc is hot foil stamped.

Here is the relevant (IMO, I'm sure others will see it differently):

A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

A change in weight is irrelevant, because it isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules (unless you manage to go over the legal weight limit for the disc).

I assume you mention hot foils because that's what the manufacturers use, but I would assume that is co spidered part of production, and therefore also exempted.

Are you talking about "laser" etching? If not, what is "Lazar" etching, I can't find anything on it.

I doubt laser etching would effect weight or flight characteristics.

Would want to run it by the PDGA officials for verification on this before ramping up production. I don't see it affecting weight or flight patterns. You would basically take a disc, put it into the machine, it would scan it. Then you remove the foil with a slight acid bath, vinegar works. Then have the laser etch it in. Afterwords you can rub in a die in the etch and let it soak in.

Or use any drawing or load a vector gif, jpeg. The machine I am thinking of is the Coldforge Laser Cutter. A desk top machine for the small maker folk, but they do have a professional set up as well.

Latest posts