• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefties?

techn9cian4life

Double Eagle Member
It seems like at least once a week I get the comment, "You throw left handed? Don't see too many of those around..." So I'm just curious as to how many south paws there are on here. On my home course there are a lot of advantages to being left handed, holes end up finishing on the right, which plays out perfect for LHBH. So ya, just curious.

i'm left handed too. I also get those left handed comments. On my home course, I believe my advantage is pretty limited, but I'm in no way disadvantaged.
Still fun to take different routes than the others.

I always tease one of the guys I play with. Someone will give him a hard time for a bad shot, and I'll be like oh come on guys, its not his fault, he's left handed..

I play a hybrid leftie.
LHBH
RHFH
RHOH
I backhand lefty, but flick and throw overhands with my right hand.
In a pinch, I have been known to throw RHBH as well.

I think the PDGA should make it a rule that denotes what hand each players is throwing the most with during a tournament. I know it's extra work for all. But it would have it's advantages.

Right now in today's top tournaments. I don't have a clue who's a LHBH player, like myself. I'd bet most of the top players are RHBH players. But i'd like to follow the "lefties".

In other sports we know how tall each player is, what hand do they throw from, what college they graduated from, how fast the run the 40 in etc....

With PDGA tournaments we know what they're player rating is and what the rating was during each round. Which doesn't really tell me the whole story. Because if I knew which hand each player threw with and their round rating that would tell me more and it would tell me how each courses favor what style of thrower.

How would you classify the righty who's exclusively forehand? He plays the course pretty much the way a lefty who throws backhand plays it.

Or the player who throws forehand and backhand?

For the O.P., lefties are doubtlessly here in the same percentage as the general population.

Oh, and you're highly valued as doubles partners.

^exactly, ill just flick

but im willing to bet about 8-15% of the members are lefties, just the same as in life

I LOVE being a lefty, have my whole life. I have a twin brother who's a righty(aka "normy") so we do the mirror image thing on the course.

As far as disc golf, I find my advantages when I can. I do make note to see which courses favor which arm, and whilee many are well-balanced, there does seem to be a righty bias in many a course design.
I am ok with this, as a mostly LHBH with a developing FH. I actually love throwing annies, so righty holes aren't so demanding UNLESS they finish hard left, to which a flick would be ideal but is not nearly as dialed in.
As far as pro players go, I know Devon Owens is a lefty. I've seen quite a few pro righties throw bombs with their left hands too.
in the end, I just wish I could switch hit off the tee like I used to in the batter's box.

Lefty here, the guys I play with call me a "cheatin' lefty" whenever we play a hole that finishes to the right.

Lefty here. I do enjoy taking the different routes as well. Wish I had a forehand but shoulder surgery put an end to that. Still havin fun tho and that is what it is all about.

Im a lefty as well. Some courses play to me, others I have to be creative. I have developed a crazy good turnover shot though.

A couple weeks ago I was in a tourney and I had a whole lefty card. Was a strange sight.

I see a lot of lefties that do that... LHBH and RHSA dummies... its the same shot. Lefties are cheaters!!! Lead card in worlds for a while was 2 lefties and 2 sidearm dominate.

Dan's has always been one of my favorite names on here. When he throws a Hyzer it acts kind of like my anhyzer, but it's Dan's Hyzer, a Danhyzer, and watch out for that Dan-anhyzer, he's a feisty one.

Lefty here, the guys I play with call me a "cheatin' lefty" whenever we play a hole that finishes to the right.

The you will love Lake Russell. It has the most lefty holes in the entire world!! #1, #2, #3, #4, #8, #12, #13, #15, #16, #17, #18 All these are Lefty holes. Have fun when you make a trip down there. Haha.

Latest posts