• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Icon Rivals

Got my Icons yesterday. It was cold out so they felt pretty stiff but I expect they'll soften up a bit in decent weather. They were still flexible though and feel pretty good. I got a red 175g that was super flat/concave, and a pink 165g that had the normal tiny dome/shouldering. Accidentally nailed my fence with one and it didn't even scratch the plastic.

Got my yellow FR today and will hopefully have some time later to throw it.

First impression of the plastic is it is stiff, but not as stiff as the Pinnacle. That stuff was rock hard. This is a bit more gummy, but still feels similar. Are these being released in the Legends plastic? I hope they are still more gummy then this. Hope they fly well!!

Lets get some reviews going.

Alright had some time to go out and throw today. It was pretty windy out, but it gave me an opportunity to throw in head winds and tail winds. I was hoping the disc would be a good replacement to my TeeBirds, since the Pinnacle Rival is eerily similar. I just don't like the stiff Pinnacle plastic. I was excited to try the disc in this new gummier Icon plastic.

I was throwing it with my 175g KC Champ cal mold TeeBird for comparison. First time I threw it I noticed immediately that it had less HSS then my Pinnacle Rival. The TeeBird I was able to throw flat with a hard rip and it didn't turn. The Rival however did turn. It flew HSS -0.75 and didn't fade as hard with a LSS of 1.5. On a similar throw later in the test, I was able to completely flip over the disc into a roller. That was a bit disheartening.

With a smooth and less powerful hyzer release, I was able to get the Rival to get good distance but again the HSS was less stable and the LSS was not as pronounced as the TeeBird. The lower power shot was where the Rival shined in my opinion. But, I really had to power down the shot to more of a stand-still shot to make it do what I imagined it would do.

With a anny release, the TeeBird fought it out and went straight. The Rival however followed the smooth anhyzer line.

Overall, my opinion of the flight was something similar to a Eagle or Eagle L. In comparison to what I remember the Pinnacle Rival doing, this disc had a less stable high speed flight, but the glide was far improved. The plastic was also more gummier. I truly feel that this could replace some Eagle like discs in someones bag. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't what I was going for. I wonder if the harder and more stiff plastic was giving the Rival more HSS stability. Just a thought.

sounds like pinnacle rival = teebird

icon = eagle.

I know that I'd compare my flat pinnacle rivals to a slightly beat teebird

Just got my free Icon first run one from Lion yesterday. First couple of throws are telling me that with my power, a flat, strong throw will ride slightly right then finish slightly to the left. It doesn't turn over and ride an anny, it just gently rides right and comes back at around 350. Powered down it easily cruises to 300 and fades hard left. So far I'm loving it and will make a nice addition to my bag, next to my rivers in my fairway drives.

Got Ours Today ~

IMGP1188_zps2fbaab32.jpg

I have to say that the blue icon plastic that legacy has been coming out with is beautiful. Now onto my review.

In an earlier review, it was mentioned that the icons were slightly more understable than the pinnacles, and I have to agree. Thrown into about a 15 mph headwind with hyzer mine flipped up flat and tracked a little bit right but never really flipped over. With no wind, mine flew reeeaaally straight. Just a lazer beam with a slight fade at the end.

I was actually able to talk to Bamba Rico at the Masters Cup in Santa Cruz today, and he was saying that the Rival is basically Legacy's baby right now and that they are doing everything they can to keep each run as consistent at possible which was something really refreshing to hear. After talking to both the Ricos and seeing how cool of guys they were, I immediately walked into the pro shop and got one of the icon first runs they had :) There's no other company I want to support more because they really are a player's company :thmbup:

In an earlier review, it was mentioned that the icons were slightly more understable than the pinnacles, and I have to agree. Thrown into about a 15 mph headwind with hyzer mine flipped up flat and tracked a little bit right but never really flipped over. With no wind, mine flew reeeaaally straight. Just a lazer beam with a slight fade at the end.

I remember reading on Marshall Street that this was "eerily similar to the Eagle". I would say if I had to make the connection it would be to that. But probably an Eagle X not L. Good flight, nice glide and very controllable.

The Icon Rivals are super flat, I like the feel better than the Pinnacle. Threw it a bit at the store recently. For me it was like the QJLS and QOLF had a baby. A perfect straight fade driver. Another disc that would make the bag if it could....

And FYI

Prime discs deal of the day is the 1st Run Icon Rival...at $11.69...

http://bit.ly/12abP7x

What distances would you use the rivals for? How far are you able to push them out?

375-425ft

Basically flies like a shorter OLF for me, but a bit longer than the QJLS. If I tried to torque the QJLS like a QOLF it won't hold on, where the Rival will. The Rival is also a tad better in a headwindd

375-425ft

Basically flies like a shorter OLF for me, but a bit longer than the QJLS. If I tried to torque the QJLS like a QOLF it won't hold on, where the Rival will. The Rival is also a tad better in a headwindd

Would bagging a Rival and a QJ be overlap city?

Bagging an old stable QJLS, yes probably

But the new 1.9/1.10 stardust QJs are pretty damn straight. The Rival would like a more stable QJ that worked well next to a straight one. But if you QJLS is a headwind fighter, I would probably look more to the Patriot if you want a Legacy fwy driver. Or go Rival/MJLS

The Icon Rivals are super flat, I like the feel better than the Pinnacle. Threw it a bit at the store recently. For me it was like the QJLS and QOLF had a baby. A perfect straight fade driver. Another disc that would make the bag if it could....

And FYI

Prime discs deal of the day is the 1st Run Icon Rival...at $11.69...

http://bit.ly/12abP7x

Is there a way on the website to find that deal of the day? I've only seen links here for yesterday's and today. Both great deals by the way!