• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy's 6th release the RIVAL, its coming

Spend a little time with a Icon Patriot and it will turn and be longer than your TBs and Rivals.
I have an icon coming in the mail. And the pinnacle is pretty new. Doesn't have many tree hits on it yet. It's closer to a TL than a Leo for me.

Why not keep that star teebird in until something else seasons to that point?
I have about 10 teebirds in that sweet spot. I just have a hard time throwing old expensive plastic into trees these days. Decided to try something new. I'm sure I'll eventually put teebirds back in full time.

on my order of two icon rivals, I got one stiff and one soft. the softer icon with the tac is perfect for colder weather. reminds me of gstar but with more tac.

I was able to find a match to pair up. the stiffer icon will be for warmer weather.

the rival in this softer icon plastic has completed my cool weather bag.

these go dead straight for me. great feeling disc. reminds me of the tbird of 15 years ago in the original mold.

the hype is for real.

Anyone have any experience with the Ultralight Rivals? I just saw that they existed and thought it would be fun to have a downhill/tailwind disc but I want to make sure they aren't comically understable.

Lost my first flat, pink 170g Icon last week. Threw a couple of extra shots on a hole and left it, like a dummass. Took its twin out today and it seems a little less beefy then my first one. Flies pretty much the same as the one I've bagged for several months. My Pinnacle flies the same, a touch of turn and moderate fade. Seems like the 'mellower teebird' I'd heard it was. Maybe my first was an aberration.

So, I said I took it out today. Playing a 450' hole I turned my Wraith tee shot over a little, hit an iron freaking twig on the right and dropped about 230' from the pin. Wind was quartering into my face, right to left and I threw my Rival flat and low. It flexed out a little, faded back, and went into the basket. First throw on the course with that disc.

Izzat a field ace? Never thrown a real ace so I kinda hope so.

I picked up a used but not abused yellow first run Icon Rival recently. It is nice and flat with a bit of pearl to it, which I haven't seen in Icon before (although I don't throw a lot of Icon, to be fair). I am curious how it will fly, but it feels great in the hand. May not get to toss it until this weekend, unfortunately. Definitely loving my Rivals! One of my most-thrown molds.

I love my rival. It's just like my 11x teebird but more comfortable in the hand. Dead straight for 90% of the flight with a great fade

I picked up a used but not abused yellow first run Icon Rival recently. It is nice and flat with a bit of pearl to it, which I haven't seen in Icon before (although I don't throw a lot of Icon, to be fair). I am curious how it will fly, but it feels great in the hand. May not get to toss it until this weekend, unfortunately. Definitely loving my Rivals! One of my most-thrown molds.

The first run yellow Icons were pretty OS and coveted by many, if I remember correctly.

The first run yellow Icons were pretty OS and coveted by many, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I'd imagine this one started out pretty beefy. It flies about the same as my seasoned sparkle, which has been in the bag a long time. Point and shoot, very predictable, still holds up well into decent headwind. This particular run of Icon is nice and stiff...honestly feels a lot like the older pearly pinnacles but maybe a bit more grip. I'm glad I picked it up.

Are there specific colors that I need to look for in Icon that make the Rival more stable/ have less wear-in? For example, I've heard yellow and purple are more stable. What about the other colors?

My honeybee run pinnacle has the speed of a teebird with the fade of a thunderbird. A little less distance than the teebird but useful and fun to throw. I also got a clear/aqua version and it looks fantastic with the sick stamp

What does the list look like from most to least stable in colors in Icon/Pinnacle plastic?

What does the list look like from most to least stable in colors in Icon/Pinnacle plastic?

This is not how it works. I'm sorry that you were misinformed in the past, but color DOES NOT affect stability.

This is not how it works. I'm sorry that you were misinformed in the past, but color DOES NOT affect stability.

It most definitely does. You can see it with many brands. The dyes from the color affect the way the disc cools thus changing PLH.

As for stabilities I haven't thrown a lot but my experience that I have so far from least to most
White icon
Old blend pinnacle pink
Old blend pinnacle white/clear
Blue Icon
Purple Icon
Pink Icon
New Blend Pinnacle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It most definitely does. You can see it with many brands. The dyes from the color affect the way the disc cools thus changing PLH.

What was that last thing you said? Oh, parting line height. That's right. The theory that color affects cooling and parting line height is debateable. What's not debateable is that parting line height, among discs of the same mold and plastic is usually a good indicator of relative stability. If color was a factor of any kind, then most of all (color1) innova discs would be more stable than (color2) discs, even across different molds. This logic should also work across brands, since "the dyes in the plastic cool differently" and cause such ranges in stability. Because every manufacturer makes red, blue, yellow discs, etc. any relationship you observe between color and stability is a coincidence, and the conclusions are anecdotal at best. Not to mention ridiculously small sample size.
The only guys who can claim color/stability are probably millennium and mint. Based on their small runs, run numbering system, and mint's efforts to consolidate results from customers to document differences in stability. Do we think mint can say before they mold a disc that if they use (color1) over (color2) that it will come out more or less stable? I seriously doubt it. If that was the case, we'd be seeing a lot of advertising claiming such from every manufacturer.
I have green wizards that are freakishly overstable compared to other colors. So is every green gateway disc more stable? No, because that's stupid.

What was that last thing you said? Oh, parting line height. That's right. The theory that color affects cooling and parting line height is debateable. What's not debateable is that parting line height, among discs of the same mold and plastic is usually a good indicator of relative stability. If color was a factor of any kind, then most of all (color1) innova discs would be more stable than (color2) discs, even across different molds. This logic should also work across brands, since "the dyes in the plastic cool differently" and cause such ranges in stability. Because every manufacturer makes red, blue, yellow discs, etc. any relationship you observe between color and stability is a coincidence, and the conclusions are anecdotal at best. Not to mention ridiculously small sample size.
The only guys who can claim color/stability are probably millennium and mint. Based on their small runs, run numbering system, and mint's efforts to consolidate results from customers to document differences in stability. Do we think mint can say before they mold a disc that if they use (color1) over (color2) that it will come out more or less stable? I seriously doubt it. If that was the case, we'd be seeing a lot of advertising claiming such from every manufacturer.
I have green wizards that are freakishly overstable compared to other colors. So is every green gateway disc more stable? No, because that's stupid.

:clap:

Taking down disc pseudo-science

I think this myth came from small runs. If you only have a small run of discs and you run all of one color at the same time, those discs will likely be very similar. So the batch of blues that came out flat and high PLH compared to the domey and low PLH pinks must be because of the color. Correlation does not equal causation. I am not saying certain dyes have no affect on PLH. But it is just one of the many factors that go into how a disc molds up. Maybe if you could control all variables and only change the color, then you could convince me. But plastic composition, temperature, humidity, and whoever is running the mold are just too variable.

Latest posts