• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy's 6th release the RIVAL, its coming

I just want to give a shout out to Legacy, for making the best 11X TB clone out there. I've got two pinnacle rivals that look, feel, and fly exactly like my semi beat, pearly 11Xs. I'm really liking them so far. The best part is, they don't cost $30-$50 to replace. I wish I had caught on to these sooner.

Did Legacy ever make the gummy pinnacle rivals in 170+ weights? I have a stack of the 167-68g gummy pinnacle rivals and love them but am in need of some heavier weight grippy rivals for the wonderful liquid sunshine that lasts most of the year here in Oregon. Any suggestions? I have been throwing the pearly pinnacle plastic in heavier weights for some time now, but it just gets too slick in the winter for my grip.

Having recently cracked a Teebird, now the tourney off season for me, and limited on fieldwork due to injury I finally made some time to test some discs. I couldn't be happier that my old first run aqua blue wings rival is still the laser beam with very late fade I remembered it to be. It can take a mild headwind and its flat profile makes it easy to control for an ever so slight 325' flex on a stable straight, very low line that's easy to duplicate.

Last edited:
Having recently cracked a Teebird, now the tourney off season for me, and limited on fieldwork due to injury I finally made some time to test some discs. I couldn't be happier that my old first run aqua blue wings rival is still the laser beam with very late fade I remembered it to be. It can take a mild headwind and its flat profile makes it easy to control for an ever so slight 325' flex on a stable straight, very low line that's easy to duplicate.

Yes, a nicely seasoned Rival is a thing of beauty. I've been throwing the same sparkle one for slightly less than three years now, and it has such a consistent and stable flight. A little more workable than a brand new one, but this plastic seems to last forever. Great workhorse fairway for sure.

Been bagging an Icon 171g for a few weeks now and starting to get it dialed in. After knocking some of the new off, I'm getting a little turn and solid fade out to about 325', which is close to my max distance Wraiths.

Picked up a twin pink Icon today as well as 175g Pinnacle, which is one sexy disc. Pale lavender, ate up with pearly and very gummy...........I need a smoke after feeling this thing up. Are all of their Pinnacle runs like this? Can I expect it to be a bit more OS than the Icon?

Does Legacy have a Firebird equivalent?

Been bagging an Icon 171g for a few weeks now and starting to get it dialed in. After knocking some of the new off, I'm getting a little turn and solid fade out to about 325', which is close to my max distance Wraiths.

Picked up a twin pink Icon today as well as 175g Pinnacle, which is one sexy disc. Pale lavender, ate up with pearly and very gummy...........I need a smoke after feeling this thing up. Are all of their Pinnacle runs like this? Can I expect it to be a bit more OS than the Icon?

Does Legacy have a Firebird equivalent?

Yes, their version of a Firebird is called the Enemy. I don't have experience with Icon Rivals, so can't help you there. Not all pinnacles will be gummy like that, so if you like a particular run I suggest you grab a few.

Last edited:
Yes, a nicely seasoned Rival is a thing of beauty. I've been throwing the same sparkle one for slightly less than three years now, and it has such a consistent and stable flight. A little more workable than a brand new one, but this plastic seems to last forever. Great workhorse fairway for sure.

My wings rival hasn't been in the tourney bag but I wear it out every winter for the past five years when I pull my CE from the bag for fear of it shattering. Currently, wings sets perfectly between my recently replaced workhorse 11x TB and my beat 11x TB, there's probably enough room for it to make my bag. I do bag a well seasoned silver surfer legend when I need a stable straight line in a tailwind or hold a hyzer for a lower power shot where my beat 11x will fade too much, she's here to stay:thmbup:

Kinda surprised that the sweet pearly Pinnacle flew pretty much the same as my very lightly seasoned 171g Icon, maybe even a touch more US. Love everything about it but was hoping to fill a more OS fairway slot. No need to bag both of them.

Very limited experience with Legacy but with these 2 discs, the Pinnacle has more grip and isn't quite as firm as the Icon. Really like them both.

Firmer Pinnacles tend to be more stable than gummy ones in my experience. Also flatter is usually more stable. Not sure if it is the firmness or flatness that effects stability more, as they go together often.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised that the sweet pearly Pinnacle flew pretty much the same as my very lightly seasoned 171g Icon, maybe even a touch more US. Love everything about it but was hoping to fill a more OS fairway slot. No need to bag both of them.

Continuing my narrative.....

Turns out I can bag both of them. Did some fairway field work today with some wind. Thrown flat into the wind, the Icon turned a little and fought to fade while the pearly Pinnacle wanted to turn. Could get a nice flight with some hyzer but this disc is a pretty straight flyer for me. Gonna bag them both, I have Predators (or whatever I replace them with) for real beef and OS S-PDs.

I was kind of amused watching the discussion of different runs of the Mint Alpha. Has my newfound affection for Rivals led me down a similar rabbit hole with Legacy? I picked up a used Enemy and the Icon plastic is very different than my firm Icon Rivals.

I had really good form during fieldwork yesterday and got a really great look at how my fairway plastic flies. Kind of an off season tryout.

So, the new stable line up is 11x Teebird for headwind stable/slightly overstable, rightly seasoned pinnacle FR "Wings" Rival for workhorse 300-350' stable straight, and silver legend Rival for point and shoot without fade to 300'. I'm pulling my beat 11x KCP as it now has about the same HSS as my silver Legend Rival but the Rival glides another 20-30' further on the same lines, no brainer really.

The Rival is such a great mold in pinnacle and legend in my experience and the plastic is sexy pearly.

Does anyone know where I can find some rivals in excel plastic? I'd like to give one a try to compare to my pinnacles.

Never seen one. They make patriots but they are like DX Teebirds. I used them to replace trashed pro Leopards, but I have to cycle them.

It would be a completely different flight though. Not comparable only complementary if you want the same feel disc but completely different flight.

I dont see it listed in Excel on their website nor do I see it on their order forms. Pretty much Ghosts and patriots in Excel plastic.

Excel Rivals were in the starter pack, but I'm not sure they ever ran them in heavier weights.

Excel Patriots are wonderful too.

Thanks for the info. I saw DGC had excel rivals at one point, but are sold out. Can't seem to find any info anywhere else. I recently bagged a pinnacle patriot, and don't know how I feel about it yet. It's longer and more stable than I expected. I'm going to assume the excels show a little bit more turn than the pinnacles?

Thanks for the info. I saw DGC had excel rivals at one point, but are sold out. Can't seem to find any info anywhere else. I recently bagged a pinnacle patriot, and don't know how I feel about it yet. It's longer and more stable than I expected. I'm going to assume the excels show a little bit more turn than the pinnacles?

In my limited experience with Excel Pats (all pink and all ~169g), they start with a similar stability as Pinnacle and Icon (I preferred Icon outside of the very limited gummy Ivory FR Pinnacles) but season after only a few tree hits. Pats for me (noodle arm) were more TL than Leopard, and it took over 300' for them to show true turn (for me). With Excels, the first few throws were the same. Then I hit a tree.

If you're looking for a Patriot that's easily turned, try an Excel and throw it as hard as you can into a brick wall once. If it doesn't flip enough, do it one more time. As 1978 said, they're cyclers. They're faster (premium plastic) Leopards with a similar glide. With an Ivory FR Pinnacle (if you've thrown one you'll understand), a fresh-sweet spot Icon, and an Excel I could see someone having one hell of a fairway cycler.

Last edited:

It sounds like you like the feel of the Rival in hand and are searching for a less stable complement. I bag Patriots in the winter after I pull my CE JLSs and CE blend QJLSs for fear of them shattering on brick hard frozen trees. I love my legend Patriots for hyzer flips to stable and the more seasoned one for slow rolling turnovers. I've also got a Icon Patriot that will go another 20' further but has a wiggle/s-turn in its 350' at less than 15' high line.

I recently picked up a Legacy Phenom and think it might be in the excel rival stability range you were inquiring about. Its got more turn than the Patriot and if I recall correctly was reported to be "a longer Patriot" aka less stable. Anyway, if you like Legacy Plastics as much as I do and want more in your bag, the Legacy Mongoose will for sure turnover like a Roadrunner/Escape/Hatchet/Underworld/TD2 in similar plastics.

It sounds like you like the feel of the Rival in hand and are searching for a less stable complement.

I've been a teebird guy basically forever, and typically carry a few at a time. I just switched over to pinnacle rivals and am loving them, I just don't have one beat up like my older star teebirds. The patriot is also very straight for me, and doesn't really turn much yet, so I thought an excel rival might season in faster, similar to a Dx bird. For reference, I'm mid 30's and max out fairways about 350 on a good flat pull, and prefer throwing long glidey slight turnovers, vice big hyzers if possible. I'm probably gonna give an excel patriot a try soon, since they seem readily available. I appreciate the replies. Loving Legacy plastic so far.

350' with fairways is plenty far for a Patriot to turn. Perhaps your pinnacle Patriot is just newish and I'd expect it to season into a sweet spot before too long, but I'd be looking for slight flip to straight with no fade more than the rolling turnover without fade that a DX TB will soon become in the woods. Spend a little time with a Icon Patriot and it will turn and be longer than your TBs and Rivals.

I've been a teebird guy basically forever, and typically carry a few at a time. I just switched over to pinnacle rivals and am loving them, I just don't have one beat up like my older star teebirds. The patriot is also very straight for me, and doesn't really turn much yet, so I thought an excel rival might season in faster, similar to a Dx bird. For reference, I'm mid 30's and max out fairways about 350 on a good flat pull, and prefer throwing long glidey slight turnovers, vice big hyzers if possible. I'm probably gonna give an excel patriot a try soon, since they seem readily available. I appreciate the replies. Loving Legacy plastic so far.
Why not keep that star teebird in until something else seasons to that point?