• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lemon Lake, Crown Point, IN

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I am visiting the Valparaiso area mid June, and I would really like to play the Lemon Lake complex, but there has not been many recent reviews/updates. Is the course in good shape? Still open? Worth the stop? Also open to other suggestions for the area. Thanks!

Its worth the stop to play Lemon Lake. The Red Course is closed for course re-design due to the loss of all the ash trees. The Gold / Silver course and the Blue course are fun. The White course is shorter in length but also has some fun holes. Lemon Lake is worth the visit.

If you're in Valpo and have only one course to play, then you need to play Rogers Lakewood in Valpo. IMHO, it's in the top 3 courses in the state. Legit, make sure you go check that out.
Lemon Lake is fine, but I think that the only draw is that there are 4(5 with gold) courses on site.

Rogers is a better course than all of the courses at LL.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1773

If you're in Valpo and have only one course to play, then you need to play Rogers Lakewood in Valpo. IMHO, it's in the top 3 courses in the state. Legit, make sure you go check that out.
Lemon Lake is fine, but I think that the only draw is that there are 4(5 with gold) courses on site.

Rogers is a better course than all of the courses at LL.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1773

I used to live in the area, and the people I'm staying with live 2 miles from Rogers. I will be going there. Probably multiple times. Thought a daytrip to Lemon Lake would be a good idea too.

I agree Rogers Lakewood is probably better than LL Silver, but not by that much IMHO.... really enjoyed my round on the Gold Silver course.

I used to live in the area, and the people I'm staying with live 2 miles from Rogers. I will be going there. Probably multiple times. Thought a daytrip to Lemon Lake would be a good idea too.

It's fine. White isn't worth playing, IMHO. Red is OK. Blue is OK. Silver and Gold are the most fun for me. Just don't expect to have your mind blown.
The number of courses is why the PDGA pimps that place so hard. They aren't super amazing courses.

Rogers has more blue level holes (24) than LL Silver (18). IMO, LL Silver is a bit better than Rogers even if you play the best 18 at Rogers unless you like a few more open holes and more OB including some water.

Rogers has more blue level holes (24) than LL Silver (18). IMO, LL Silver is a bit better than Rogers even if you play the best 18 at Rogers unless you like a few more open holes and more water OB.

Do you mean Silver holes are better statistically?

They're both fine courses but I enjoy playing Rogers Lakewood more because there's a bit more variety.

Do you mean Silver holes are better statistically?

They're both fine courses but I enjoy playing Rogers Lakewood more because there's a bit more variety.
I come from the premise that fundamentally disc golf hole design is about shaping shots using trees and elevation when available (definite drawback of Fairfield despite how well players rate it). Water can be a net negative depending where it's placed when potential disc loss can exceed challenge and aesthetic benefits. I've tried to judiciously use water in design despite these misgivings because it's "expected". It's this designer calculus above why I would personally consider LL Silver as just slightly better than your "pick 18" at Rogers even though I would agree that you get more golf and variety playing 24 at Rogers if LL Silver stood alone without other courses. But I would play either anytime I was passing through.

I come from the premise that fundamentally disc golf hole design is about shaping shots using trees and elevation when available (definite drawback of Fairfield despite how well players rate it). Water can be a net negative depending where it's placed when potential disc loss can exceed challenge and aesthetic benefits. I've tried to judiciously use water in design despite these misgivings because it's "expected". It's this designer calculus above why I would personally consider LL Silver as just slightly better than your "pick 18" at Rogers even though I would agree that you get more golf and variety playing 24 at Rogers if LL Silver stood alone without other courses. But I would play either anytime I was passing through.

I can see your point. Silver definitely has a more "clean cut" feel to it. The shots are right there in front of you. The reason I prefer Rogers is because I feel the shots require a slightly higher level of control. Aside from the obvious elevation changes, Rogers also has holes that require a hyzer release that slowly flips up flat, gentle turning shots that pan out, etc. Any time a course forces me to go beyond the usual straight/hyzer/anhyzer shots I appreciate it more. For instance, many people disagree with hole 12 at Fairfield but I love it. You don't run into too many holes where the shot requires a nose up angle on a disc or incredible speed control.

Thinking about heading that way to play LL around the Fourth of July holiday. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay. Is there lodging on sight at LL? Close hotel area? Golf type resorts close by?

Thinking about heading that way to play LL around the Fourth of July holiday. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay. Is there lodging on sight at LL? Close hotel area? Golf type resorts close by?
Usually stay in Merrillville at motel with lots of options. Not sure about camping closer.

Thank you, Chuck. I am still looking for some input on places to stay for a LL trip. I have a job and don't mind paying a bit for a nice place to stay. Would love to find a golf type resort than has a pool and some eats on site, but that can be somewhat of a tall order. Also, looking for some insight on other, close quality course near LL to play. Thanks for any help.

The problem is that area of Indiana doesn't have anything resort-worthy. Most of the decent hotels are in Merrillville which is a congested shopping area. That's where I usually stay if I have to play a weekend tourney at Lemon.

If you like beer there's always an option to get a hotel in Schererville (about the same drive) and check out Three Floyds which is right up the road from there.

There's nothing quality in close proximity to Lemon but as we've said a couple times, Rogers Lakewood in Valparaiso is about a 45 minute drive and is definitely worth it.

There's nothing quality in close proximity to Lemon but as we've said a couple times, Rogers Lakewood in Valparaiso is about a 45 minute drive and is definitely worth it.
^ Listen to Roman. ;)

Bogey, I thought I said in the Michigan trip thread that I was staying there, then coming here, staying five minutes from RL at an old friend's house. I feel good about the amount of DG i'm playing.

Edit- You were probably replying to the other guy, my apologies.

Last edited:
If you like beer there's always an option to get a hotel in Schererville (about the same drive) and check out Three Floyds which is right up the road from there.

Still only 16 years old. I do enjoy good pub food though.

Edit- you were probably replying to the other guy, my apologies.

Red Closed??

Going to be in the area at the end of the month, I see that the Red Course( it is actually my favorite on the property ) is closed. Anyone know why?
I have not played the white with the changes, but have played the blue.
Any info would be appreciated....