• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lemon Lake Indiana FIASCO

It's easy to get emotional about a disc golf course. Especially when you have time invested in the planning and development. Emotions run high. Good luck to all involved. Keep your heads on!

Seems to me like there is a communication issue here ....

I know Jay and Deb can be a little quirky at times, but you don't need to trash people online like this. I played in the Chicagoland Armature Champs this weekend and we had 2 cops roll up to the TD and ask to see his permit... These things happen. Need to keep your cool and chill out.

Not the first time hearing negative things about them.

Also who do you think called the cops?

Such great courses, hopefully this nonsense goes away and doesnt affect ppl being able to play.

I like the idea of getting everyone together and hammering out an agreement. One side feels slighted for a lot of hard work in the past. The other wants to run the ship and feels threatened. There is only one way to fix any of this. Work out an agreement. Every park that is public (that I know of) has certain rules pertaining to the exchanges for money. Some are more strict than others. Some will look away at a weekly league event, some will force that group to get a permit. It all depends on the relationship with said park district or public officials of said public space. Yes its the public's land and every tax payer has a right to be there. No, you cannot just run an event without proper permission. Even if one official with the parks said it was ok, get proof, notify the people who own the shop so they dont get blindsided. Talking trash on FB regarding certain people or groups will not solve it, working together will. Just an outsiders opinion. I am 100 percent sure there is more to every story.

Didn't the owners do a bunch of sketchy stuff during the last worlds that was there, too? I know I heard something about a basket giveaway for the volunteers that they wound up keeping to sell instead.

So I just read that thread on FB.

Seems like the PDGA/Brian Graham just automatically side with these people.

Looks like there is a long term problem that isn't being addressed.

Very disheartening that this is a PDGA Regional Center and things like this happen to the club that helped start the place.

Considering the PDGA basically survives on the backs of local clubs, you think it would be in their best interest to help mediate and come to an agreement.

How are they ever going to pull off another World's there?

I saw the Facebook posts and this thread today. I've been through similar situations. If anyone wants to know when/what happened I'd be more that willing to share that info privately. Disc golfers are passionate and territorial. Add on top that money is now involved the fuel to the fire has been added. I know individuals from both sides and I respect all. It's not easy to do but both sides need to sit face to face and talk. I hate seeing this go on at a great place.

Isn't the basic problem there that Brian Cummings and Bart Zandstra were pretty much recognized as the guys behind getting Lemon Lake started, and then at some point the Svitko's got control of that proshop? There seems to be bad blood over whatever happened that allowed the Svitko's to take over the proshop and locals that are still loyal to Brian and Bart. You end up with a lot of locals not supporting whatever the Svitko's are trying to do over the perception that they shouldn't be there in the first place. Add in that Jay's wife isn't a disc golfer, so whatever she does is negatively amplified by the fact that she is an "outsider." It seems like so long as Brian and Bart are not on board with what the Svitko's are doing, this is going to be a "lather, rinse, repeat" scenario.

It's a bad deal for organized disc golf becasue it becomes a high-profile pissing contest at a place that should be a model for a multi-course complex capable of hosting major tournaments. It's a "this is why we can't have nice things" example for a sport that spends an awful lot of its time trying to prove it should have nice things.

It's a bad deal for organized disc golf becasue it becomes a high-profile pissing contest at a place that should be a model for a multi-course complex capable of hosting major tournaments. It's a "this is why we can't have nice things" example for a sport that spends an awful lot of its time trying to prove it should have nice things.

Zing. I was thinking the same thing

I would just landfill this thread before it gets worse. There is so much to this story that's not being told correctly. Its sad, but dgcr and social media are the last places this drama should unfold.

giphy.gif
I would just landfill this thread before it gets worse. There is so much to this story that's not being told correctly. Its sad, but dgcr and social media are the last places this drama should unfold.

Its 2016.. Not really true at all.

Somewhat unrelated, but I would like to add; the only reason I even knew about the Sunday league at lemon is because Deb announced it at Frozen Tundra (if memory serves correct). They promoted the league, then apparently retracted, huh?

i want to bring up another issue that i have not seen anyone talk about...
lemon lake is a great park but is in decline. i blame the lake county parks dept

there is nearly zero maintenance or resources put into this place. this is a huge park to maintain, why are there not park employees who are paid to cut the grass, trim bushes, empty garbage cans, etc. this place makes a lot of money. why is it not being put back into the park. i have been purchasing a season pass here for 7+ years. the cost is currently $90 (out of state)...up from $30 a year when i first started coming here. i have no problem with paying this fee, but i feel like not even the $90 i spend is being put back in to the park. i have played at many parks that do not make money, but are maintained much better

its great when volunteers are willing to help out...but i think that a county park, (especially one that profits) should be responsible for regular park cleanup. the neglect at lemon lake is not specific to the disc golf courses...the baseball fields are trash, the tennis courts have not been usable for years, there are pavilions falling apart, trees that fall are left unattended, etc

i want to bring up another issue that i have not seen anyone talk about...
lemon lake is a great park but is in decline. i blame the lake county parks dept

there is nearly zero maintenance or resources put into this place. this is a huge park to maintain, why are there not park employees who are paid to cut the grass, trim bushes, empty garbage cans, etc. this place makes a lot of money. why is it not being put back into the park. i have been purchasing a season pass here for 7+ years. the cost is currently $90 (out of state)...up from $30 a year when i first started coming here. i have no problem with paying this fee, but i feel like not even the $90 i spend is being put back in to the park. i have played at many parks that do not make money, but are maintained much better

its great when volunteers are willing to help out...but i think that a county park, (especially one that profits) should be responsible for regular park cleanup. the neglect at lemon lake is not specific to the disc golf courses...the baseball fields are trash, the tennis courts have not been usable for years, there are pavilions falling apart, trees that fall are left unattended, etc

I've questioned the Park's management many times in the past...

It is very clear that something is wrong within the county park system there, look no further than April the park manager...how she has a job managing that park is a head scratcher.

The legion of volunteers that built and maintained the courses for over 10 years are no longer doing so and the courses are looking shabby. We've been told by Deb that we are not the type of people THEY want representing disc golf at Lemon Lake. Deb is not a disc golfer which makes that statement even more preposterous. The not for profit club store at Lemon Lake became Jay and Debs (Jebs) store shortly after unemployed Jay was tasked to organize it. They assumed all the tournaments we established and ran for decades....they went around Brian to his parks contacts/sponsors and told them they were in charge and fueled their coup with character assassinations of Red ROC club members in general. As a shop clerk she has no business attempting to enforce her version of the park rules to disc golfers in the parking lot. As one of the many that spent significant resources building the place I am appalled at the effectiveness of their take-over implemented in 2013....in the meantime we've established and developed several other courses including, Countryside Park in Portage, IN--- Hidden Lake in Merrillville, IN---Rivers Edge in Munster, IN

WE JUST WANT TO PLAY DISC GOLF WITHOUT THE DRAMA!!!

I thought this place was supposed to be a back up location for World's in case no one else put in a bid.

Somehow I don't see that remaining as a viable option if things are really that much in decline.