• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Leo Vs. Eagle X

Anselm

I think my Eagle X is slower than my Leopard. Both are champion plastic, eagle is 170g, Leopard is 169. In field practice, I am consistently getting my Leopard out 15' + farther than the Eagle (I'm getting them both to +/-300'). Not only that, but the flight of my leopard simply looks faster to me.

I am just surprised because 1) the numbers say that the eagle should be faster, and 2) the eagle has a much wider rim, and just looks like it was designed to be a faster disc.

Anybody else have a similar experience with these two discs? Or could it be something wrong with my throwing? (Sorry, I don't have any videos or anything for you to check out - just wondering if this phenomenon is generally indicative of poor form or something).

Leopard is slightly understable, and the eagleX is a little more on the overstable side of straight. It will be a little easier getting a slightly understable disc to go further as they take less power to keep straight and generally have more glide.

Faster disc doesn't mean farther disc, especially at 300' of power.

Not even taking into account the flight characteristics of those two discs.

Now ya know why people buy speed 13-14 discs thinking they will get "Uncle Rico D"
13uncle_rico.jpg

What kind of lines are they taking?
My eyes see discs seemingly speed up after theve gone through the first portion of flight. If the leo is getting a fuller flight than the cex, then i could see it leading to your problem.

It is just that much easier to get the Leopard up to speed. Nothing "wrong" with your throwing; I just think it is natural at 300 (or less) for the Leo to travel further. Just got my buddy turned on to that as he kept complaining that he was throwing "half as far as me" (really more like 75-80%) and wanted a faster disc than his Viking to try to make up the gap. Took me a lot of times of showing him when I did it with the Leo as he wasn't sold as I would sometimes try a Vulcan or a Valk; even Rivers or something like that wanting to see if I can get a little more, but I finally pretty much just accepted my Leos would go as far with ease and its pretty much all I use any more save for my Pred or Anode.