• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Limb

Pretty sure we had some branches on the ground moved several times where part of the branch was in front of the lie in my group (my division was 100% HOF'rs) at the Hall of Fame in Georgia without much comment. I'm certain that some cases, a larger dead branch was on the ground off to the side of the lie but "behind" it with none of the branchlings actually touching ground on the LOP but floating in the stance of the player.

What parts of the country (world) have actually been playing it that way? Certainly has not been happening around here. (or Minnesota judging from Chuck's posts)

I didn't say it had been played that way. Just that the interpretation you would get from the RC in 2013 was the same as you would get now.

Pretty sure we had some branches on the ground moved several times where part of the branch was in front of the lie in my group (my division was 100% HOF'rs) at the Hall of Fame in Georgia without much comment. I'm certain that some cases, a larger dead branch was on the ground off to the side of the lie but "behind" it with none of the branchlings actually touching ground on the LOP but floating in the stance of the player.

Part of the branch can be in front of the lie, part can be up in the air, and "behind" doesn't need to be exactly on the LOP. None of that is in dispute, is it?

The question is whether it can be a casual obstacle if no part of it is touching the playing surface behind the lie. Right now, the QAs tell you it can't.

I didn't say it had been played that way. Just that the interpretation you would get from the RC in 2013 was the same as you would get now.

i didn't claim that was your statement. I am merely curious if the rule has been played as intended anywhere since 2013.

i didn't claim that was your statement. I am merely curious if the rule has been played as intended anywhere since 2013.

Who knows? The only instance I've ever heard of was the one question sent to the RC. A hanging dead branch is the only situation I can think of that I have not personally seen while playing nor while watching any video.

And yes, I've had the spiderweb situation happen in my group.