• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

*LIVE* 2015 Memorial Coverage-Paul McBeth Will Schusterick Ricky Wysocki Jake Laputka

Glad I was wrong about the dark. Will is looking pretty good.

Damn Paul just threw his Pink $$$$$$ Destroyer in the drink on that last hole.

My mistake. I just managed to look over as I saw it finishing out in the water and it looked Pink to me.

I agree the course doesn't seem that technical. Definitely a great spectator course. THIS would make a good course for tv broadcast. Discs on long flight paths, crowds love that stuff. ;)

The Fountain might not be technical in terms of the lines that you have to hit, but you have to be very precise with how and where you land on the holes around the water. The ground there is super hard-packed and they keep the grass closely-cropped so it's easy to get big skips and roll-aways near the water's edge. Mix in the wind and you get a nail-biting experience at times.

These guys are just so good they make the course look easier than it is.

Hats off to Smashboxx for great live coverage!!
Congrats to Ricky on the great score.

But wow, that was boring to watch. Basically a driving contest spread out around a lake.

Hats off to Smashboxx for great live coverage!!
Congrats to Ricky on the great score.

But wow, that was boring to watch. Basically a driving contest spread out around a lake.

Those guys make it look easier than it really is, I suspect. Though they noted multiple times during the broadcast that the wind was unusually light, which probably lent itself to the unreal scores they put up in front of the cameras.

In my opinion it's a terrible course. When you are throwing around a lake and STILL have to put in imaginary OB and top players are STILL throwing under double digits, it's a terrible course. I'm guessing 90% of Mcbeths drives off the tee were just hyzer shots. Just no variety or creativity on the course at all.

90% of EVERYONE'S shots were hyzer bombs.

The layouts overlaps itself in dangerous ways on multiple holes.
Park benches in the fairway.
Walking paths that cut across tees and fairways.
The list of bad ideas goes on and on..........

At this stage of our evolution we simply have to accept these tradeoffs.

I've played at both Phoenix courses a couple of times. The courses are flat and pretty boring. Certainly for me, the water does present a "challenge" but not so much for better players.

We just don't have enough the terrain that a place like Maple Hill has to offer in enough places that also have the infrastructure that is willing and capable of hosting a big event.

And the recycled sewage shooting out of the fountain is a nice touch......... was odd of Terry to mention that during coverage. :confused:

that info seems a bit off. I think drainage is a better word. Any man made pond like that (some even natural ones) are gross as hell.

The water is supplied by 30-acre Fountain Lake. The water is extracted from the lake to the pump house on the south side of the lake, where it is pressurized by the electric-motor driven pumps and delivered by pipe to the fountain head in the middle of the lake. This is a large concrete structure resembling a stylized water-lily.

90% of EVERYONE'S shots were hyzer bombs.

The layouts overlaps itself in dangerous ways on multiple holes.
Park benches in the fairway.
Walking paths that cut across tees and fairways.
The list of bad ideas goes on and on..........
Perfect for an NT, right? Kinda shocking this course is still used for top-tier competition.

I did not find it boring. The course does have danger. Plenty of other pros were finding it. Hell, McBeth tossed one in the water.

I thought it was a super intense opening round card. Every putt seemed stressful. Live DG takes a long time and is of dubious quality but seeing them measure up each shot and putt increases the drama for me.

I felt the same way about Worlds coverage last year. I watched it live and all recorded versions since and live was the most intense. Gotta be a junkie though. No casual observer could ever endure the slowness and spotty feed.

that info seems a bit off. I think drainage is a better word. Any man made pond like that (some even natural ones) are gross as hell.

Terry mentioned something about the fountain being turned down because they didn't want the wind to blow spray on the players/pedestrians. Something to the effect of the water wasn't safe to have on your skin or something.

I'll have to go back and watch the footage.......

Latest posts