• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour: Live Streaming vs Edited YouTube Coverage

DGPT

Par Member
This week's blog post:
http://www.discgolfprotour.com/news/live-coverage-vs-edited-youtube-coverage

I'll be blunt.

- The future of the Pro Tour is in live coverage.
- Our current live coverage needs to improve. A lot.
- This is my (Steve Dodge) opinion. I'm wrong a lot.

Now that there is no confusion about where we stand, let's start the discussion.

Over the past five years, edited YouTube coverage has helped open the door towards disc golf becoming a spectator sport. It has built an awesome following and the editing and coverage has gotten better and better. It has also filmed many of the shots that have ended up on ESPN, teasing the masses about our sport.

Edited YouTube coverage of disc golf tournaments is turned around insanely fast, (currently) offers very little pay to the people that do it, and is appreciated by hundreds of thousands of fans nearly every week of the year. So, while we truly believe the long term future of disc golf coverage will be live, current and short term coverage is most enjoyed through edited footage and edited coverage has a place in our sport for years to come.

Perhaps a good place to start is to discuss why live coverage is preferable from the Pro Tour's perspective.
- Spectators get more emotionally vested watching live.
- Advertisers get a much higher percentage of eyeballs when people are watching live.

We often talk about spectators becoming emotionally vested. Let's take a minute to clarify what we mean. The more we watch disc golf, the more we will pick up on mannerisms of each player. We know that Ricky is very excitable and wears his emotions on his sleeve. We know that Paul is reserved and when he gets down he will step aside, buckle down and thrill us with an amazing shot to stop the bleeding. We are starting to learn that Cam Todd has ice in his veins. We know that the smile of Nate Doss' face is not going anywhere anytime soon, no matter what is going on. We see these things, we pick up on them, and we start to know them as people as opposed to players. When that happens, disc golf shifts to being both a great sport to play and a great sport to watch.

Regarding advertisers, long term this will be a big part of the life blood of the Pro Tour. If spectators are watching live they are much more valuable to advertisers. In person, spectators can interact with partners directly. On a live broadcast, they are much more likely to watch the commercials. Bearing in mind the value to our partners and the strengthened emotional bond, live coverage is the long term path we need to take.

Thing brings us to edited YouTube coverage and its place in the Pro Tour currently, short term and long term.

None of this matters if live coverage does not improve. This presents the real challenge and improving our coverage has been one of our primary goals leading up to the Vibram Open, our inaugural event. We are doing this in three ways and would like your help to do even more.

- Second commentator
- Improved, instant scoring and statistics
- More set pieces to fill the down time

We all know that Terry Miller of Smashboxx TV can talk non-stop for over 17 hours. We also know that with another commentator, he can spend a small amount of time thinking so that his words make sense and offer insight. Clearly Terry is very good at what he does, but he is even better with someone else.

By now you have probably started to see some of the info we are releasing about the improved scoring and instant statistics. This will be one of the biggest steps forward in our coverage. Kudos to the UDisc guys for their amazing efforts leading up to the Pro Tour season.

Lastly, we have a team of video editors that are creating set pieces (one to three minute videos) on a wide range of topics featuring a wide range of players. The goal is to, no matter the situation, be able to pull up a relevant piece and minimize our time watching a jiggly camera walk down the fairway.

We know that live coverage is the long term direction. We have made significant efforts towards improving the coverage. There is still one critical piece and we are simply not there yet.

We want live coverage of multiple cards.

The problem is this: we did not budget to do this in 2016. Unfortunately, I just published the article about sustainability, so we can't just spend everything we have in reserve and hope things work out. Our current plan is to improve live coverage as much as we can and make sure to budget to at least two, and hopefully three, card coverage so we can minimize downtime and create compelling coverage. Small steps forward this year, more to come next year.

Want to help?

WATCH!

I'll watch and support any way possible, but IMO - stick with the edited coverage until such time as the live broadcast can be fun, exciting and entertaining. A pro-quality product that represents our sport well, not some half-baked nonsense.

Because what we've seen of live coverage so far has been an unmitigated disaster and is NOT good for our sport.

I'd much rather watch an edited, coherent YouTube/SmashBoxx video 2-3 days after the event than suffer thru what we saw on ESPN3 again.

I personally think DG moves a little too slow, and doesn't translate well into "exciting" live TV. At least not without a massive crew and infrastructure to follow 4-5 cards and avoid downtime and dead air fairway walking/standing around. Which we clearly do not have the budget or ability to do at this time.

So yeah. I personally feel the cart is being placed before the horse with all this stuff. Let's just let it play out, and see where it goes. I don't think TV cameras in the woods and mass-popularity is the "future" of DG, but who knows...

I am sticking to my usual stance here. Disc golf is a tiny, niche game. Joe public has never heard of the game. It is not a spectator friendly sport in any capacity. YouTube support is likely players viewing action, not fans. Live coverage of events would take place on the weekend, when most avid players and casuals alike are going to be out on a course. I occasionally watch some YouTube footage on a rainy day or if there is no sports on TV. I know this all sounds like negative feedback, but I honestly think it is a pragmatic opinion.

I personally think DG moves a little too slow, and doesn't translate well into "exciting" live TV. At least not without a massive crew and infrastructure to follow 4-5 cards and avoid downtime and dead air fairway walking/standing around. Which we clearly do not have the budget or ability to do at this time.

This. But maybe you mix it up. On the front nine park the cameras at a hole or two and watch a few cards roll through the same hole(s). Then on the back 9 follow the lead card.

And for the prerecorded stuff mix in highlights that are relevant to the current action -- how Philo hit the perfect line earlier on this tricky shot that Nate's about to throw. Or how changing weather has affected the way this hole plays from one day to the next. It'd be challenging and you'd really need a director who's on the ball. I mean disc.

I'm getting excited thinking about it.

It is not a spectator friendly sport in any capacity. YouTube support is likely players viewing action, not fans. Live coverage of events would take place on the weekend, when most avid players and casuals alike are going to be out on a course.
C'mon man. You don't need to be squashing the grow the sport crowd's dreams with such reason. (Never mind that 30 years of history backs up exactly what you said).

Don't you understand that we simply haven't arrived as a sport until your weekend playing time is replaced with your weekend athlete worship in front of some screen with some buxom woman serving you a plate of corporate hot wings which you'll be washing down with some corporate beer. The NFL can only do so much as it only runs for five months of the year.

I'm one who tends to watch live if I watch at all, mainly because when I'm watching, it's as much background noise as anything. I put it on at work (which is an pro shop at a disc golf course) and keep an eye on it such that I can update anyone who walks in and is curious where things stand. It's no different than if I have a baseball or football game on. But I rarely do that with edited coverage because it actually requires more constant attention. So I'm all for improving the live experience as much as possible.

That said, I do think there's a place for the edited stuff, and when there is no live coverage, the next day turn around on edited footage is great to have. However, for the events that do have live coverage, I think the live should take precedent over the edited. By that I mean that if there is live coverage, any edited coverage should be delayed until at least the conclusion of the tournament unless the edited version is from the same source or at least released under the same source as the live. Basically, one media outlet per event, rather than live on Smashboxx, edited of lead card on CCDG, second card on Jomez, etc. The less fragmented, the better.

In that way, I think what Jussi did with the USDGC last year where all the approved media teams worked together to release everything on the Spin channel is the way to go. Smashboxx handled the live coverage but did it through Spin's channel. Other teams (CCDG? Jomez? Disc Eye? I don't remember who) filmed and edited but their videos, at least initially, came out through Spin. It gave everyone one place to go and focused the viewership numbers to one spot so they were easier to track and easier to sell to future advertisers.

It's not unlike other sports coverage. If you want to watch your favorite NFL team's game on Sunday afternoon, you don't have 3-4 different options on where to watch. It's on CBS or FOX. You either watch it live or you DVR it and "edit" it yourself later. It's only after the game is over that you can go to ESPN or FS1 or your local news and watch highlights or, if it's the right game that week, watch a condensed version on NFL Network on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Even if it isn't the greatest quality or can get "boring" during down times, I will always support live coverage in any way that I can because if no one is watching it, there's no way it gets better. More eyeballs = more attractive to potential sponsors. Sponsors means money which means better broadcasts become possible. I'm happy to lend my support in that way even if there is no live television coverage in our future and the end game is just a better product online.

Don't you understand that we simply haven't arrived as a sport until your weekend playing time is replaced with your weekend athlete worship in front of some screen with some buxom woman serving you a plate of corporate hot wings which you'll be washing down with some corporate beer. The NFL can only do so much as it only runs for five months of the year.
I pretty sure it helps that during those five months the NFL runs it is also cold and grey for vast swaths of the country.

I'll watch live coverage where I can, but I'm also not going to put my weekend on hold to watch sporting events. Many of these rounds that I watch condensed coverage of take 4 hours, sometimes more. A huge part of the target audience for live streaming would almost certainly prefer to be out playing instead of watching a single 4 hour round with only one card being followed.

I think what needs to be done can't be done - following more cards, with cameras casting back to a booth where commentary can be provided for multiple cards without delay or switching. Until that day arrives, disc golf won't be a priority for me to watch on the weekends where I could be doing lots of other things.

I watch both live and edited coverage and like them both and think they can and should coexist . I do think that there is a misconception that in order for coverage of our sport to be successful, or "made it" that it has to be live coverage and I'm not sure if that's the case. Bass fishing has been on ESPN for years, and it's last week's edited coverage to cut out dead time and reach the masses, but what Bassmaster also does is have live streaming coverage (on their website) for those who don't mind the dead time. I think something like this could work very well for disc golf.

I did enjoy the coverage of the Vibram open last year live. There is a big difference between the next day videos and live coverage and each has its own advantage/disadvantage. I like both. And why not. I'm spoiled coming from the days of waiting for the vhs/dvd of the worlds to come in the mail or newsletters.

What would I like to see in the future of disc golf coverage? Unrealistic or not? The PGA Masters coverage is the best golf coverage in my opinion. Not just live video, but online video, cameras at certain holes and live stats. You have to have updated live stats to go with the live coverage in this day and age. And they have the best of both. The USDGC has the best live stats in disc golf. Click on a player and see their live cards. Wouldn't it be nice to click on a certain hole online and see your favorite players coming through and playing? Unrealistic I know. So in summary, what I want for Christmas:

1. Live coverage with cameras at different holes plus one following the lead card that can cut away for replays on other parts of the course. I know, big money plus a huge media staff

2. Live stats with live scoring and online streaming video of certain holes. $$$$$

3. End of each day wrap up coverage including highlights, leader board highlights and one on one interviews with the leaders.

4. Final wrap up videos and interviews after the tournament and wrap up show. Then throw in all the you tube videos and such.

There are a lot of different you tubers out there doing their own unique things. It would be nice to get all of them together for one tournament and put together a complete media package. All working together to provide the best coverage for an audience that seems to be growing. Again, this will take lots of money, planning and cooperation from everyone. But it is possible.

I work in advertising and my first thought was that advertisers will want to know numbers.

How many people are they going to get for a live broadcast?

Compare that to how many views they get on a YouTube edited vid.

I wouldn't discount their willingness to be included in the edited coverage.

Especially if edited coverage could be the model moving forward.

As much as I love live disc golf, I think if we are going to be limited to 2 cameras for a while, instead of live 18 holes with 2 cameras, I would rather see the final 9 holes with 4 cameras, this way you could have non stop action of the lead and chase card with very minimal down time for the live viewers. There should be a main commentator (or maybe 2) "back in the booth" and 1 field reporter with each card. The viewers would still see 18 holes of golf, but probably get a better overall viewing experience.

In my opinion the technical side seems to be experiencing the fastest growth. Video skills are improving rapidly, we now have drone footage, graphics and presentation are getting better, etc, etc. As far as commentary, there's obviously several directions being taken, but for the masses I think we need a professional Jim Nantz style commentator style. However...I'm an old fart and I know there is also a young demographic that wouldn't mind the sport going more towards the XGames where everything is brash, wild, "red bull!", etc, etc. It's going to be interesting to see when the sport truly goes mainstream if it will be perceived similar to ball golf or go more towards a "skate board / xgames" kind of vibe. Either way, I'll be watching and hopefully playing. ;)

I work in advertising and my first thought was that advertisers will want to know numbers.

How many people are they going to get for a live broadcast?

Compare that to how many views they get on a YouTube edited vid.

I wouldn't discount their willingness to be included in the edited coverage.

Especially if edited coverage could be the model moving forward.

I agree with this. I understand the concept that people will zoom over the commercial spots, but if you model the adverts as overlays and in-content spots can't you capture the same viewer engagement as a live stream?

Edited content can also be a long term revenue stream if you get repeated views of particularly good events. Those YouTube fees add up. Streams are one and done, nobody is going back to watch a 4 hour stream.

If the pro tour is going to make the push towards live footage and the Vibram Open is going to be the inaugural event, then I hope they've figured out a way to extend signal out to the back half of the course. It was frustrating last year not being able to see 10-12 at all and really choppy footage on 9,13, and 14.

I really appreciate what is going on here, because I really enjoy watching live. I really have no reason to watch edited coverage if I know the score. I'll just look up the 15 second video of Ricky making the hugh putt for the win (spoiler alert)

Just because we're currently a smaller sport growing to a larger one doesn't mean we shouldn't do this. We should not pay for ESPN time, we should use the awesome internet tools to slowly do it right, targeted to the masses that want it.

I know I won't get real numbers, and I trust that you truly are being diligent with the budget. Still though, I expect you'll have 2 camera coverage? Seems to be the standard, basket camera and tee box camera moving along with the lead card.

In business the base costs usually are the highest and incremental costs much lower.
You pay for the Data, Commentators, Crews, and 2 Camera/Mic guys, etc. Is it a huge added cost going to 3 Cameras?
In my mind, with fake numbers - The whole set up, all in for live coverage is $100/hr for 1 camera, $105/hr 2 cameras, $109/hr 3 cameras...
Just give me the multiplying factor and I'll do the math.

I really like disc golf. I enjoy playing as often as possible and I enjoy watching tournament coverage, live or edited. That said, I rarely watch any tourney videos. I'll check the results, read one of the discussion threads and watch highlights if somebody posts a link. Not sure what it would take for me to watch more often than I do.