• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

Wow, that guy is a trip. I'm sort of surprised they let a guy who would get his butt handed to him in Intermediate play, but whatever floats your boat.

S was this guys dead last or what?

He finished +153 for the tournament, which was 72 worse than the next (mens) player. I can't imagine being on a card at that big a tournament with someone who was out there only for "the experience".

I couldn't even find him on the Udisc scoring.

Glad I wasn't on that card, probably would have said regrettable things.

He has the world record for the most burpees in 72 hours though. And the fastest time to do 3 burpees while on fire...lololol

He has the world record for the most burpees in 72 hours though. And the fastest time to do 3 burpees while on fire...lololol

Why are records in arbitrary time periods and conditions kept?

The IT manager I used to work with had the fastest 100m while jump roping and it was not even impressive.

I reckon he's a 735 rated speaker, too.

he's not that bad at all. he doesn't say "like" or "um" all the time and he communicates pretty clearly. there are some strange pauses but the slight awkward and unsure vibe seems more of his personality than his speech.

Why are records in arbitrary time periods and conditions kept?

The IT manager I used to work with had the fastest 100m while jump roping and it was not even impressive.

I don't know, I'm impressed with someone who has the fortitude to do burpees while on fire. I can't even pee when I'm burning.

I couldn't even find him on the Udisc scoring.

Glad I wasn't on that card, probably would have said regrettable things.
This isn't a shot at Moose, I've been listening this happen for 20+ years. Disc golf has a weird thing where a club/serious player sees somebody playing and they start in on the "you should come to the club flight/join the club/sign up for our C-tier" spiel. So they person gets there, and then the people who play rounds with them grumble that they were thrown off their game because they had to play with someone that was that bad.

St. Louis had this thing in the 90's where they mixed divisions first round, basically saying that people like me that stink would be better for the "experience" of playing with the better players. So I'd play a round with and Open and Advanced guy, then walk up to the scoring table and listen to them bad-mouth me and blame their poor play on them being forced to watch me miss putts. Great. Like I asked to be on a card with them. BUT if I didn't want to deal with it and skipped the flights, somebody would be all over me on league night about why I wasn't showing up at the flights. It's a no win.

They let the dude sign up. They knew what his rating was. The other people on the bottom card were on the bottom card; it wasn't going to matter what happened there. If somebody was going to say regrettable things because this guy was playing, I'd hope they would be said to the TD that let him enter. Dude just showed up to frolf. Which is what we tell people to do all the time.

he's not that bad at all. he doesn't say "like" or "um" all the time and he communicates pretty clearly. there are some strange pauses but the slight awkward and unsure vibe seems more of his personality than his speech.

He does say 'uh' a bunch. Practically before every sentence.

This isn't a shot at Moose, I've been listening this happen for 20+ years. Disc golf has a weird thing where a club/serious player sees somebody playing and they start in on the "you should come to the club flight/join the club/sign up for our C-tier" spiel. So they person gets there, and then the people who play rounds with them grumble that they were thrown off their game because they had to play with someone that was that bad.

St. Louis had this thing in the 90's where they mixed divisions first round, basically saying that people like me that stink would be better for the "experience" of playing with the better players. So I'd play a round with and Open and Advanced guy, then walk up to the scoring table and listen to them bad-mouth me and blame their poor play on them being forced to watch me miss putts. Great. Like I asked to be on a card with them. BUT if I didn't want to deal with it and skipped the flights, somebody would be all over me on league night about why I wasn't showing up at the flights. It's a no win.

They let the dude sign up. They knew what his rating was. The other people on the bottom card were on the bottom card; it wasn't going to matter what happened there. If somebody was going to say regrettable things because this guy was playing, I'd hope they would be said to the TD that let him enter. Dude just showed up to frolf. Which is what we tell people to do all the time.

I get this, I really do. And the guys will never get any better if they don't play. I've been saddled with noobs against teams of open players in draw doubles, and I'm fine with it. But... at Pro Worlds? My kid neighbor is an avid tennis player, and he's pretty good, but they don't let him sign up for the US Open.

I'm with you, at 90% of events people just need to shut up and play no matter who is on the card, but at the biggest events there has to be some cutoff.

This guy is a tourist. He floats into these hobbies, gets enough out of it for a cool story and moves on.

That's on the TD and the PDGA, though. They could see his rating. Two minutes and Google would tell you who the guy is. They obviously decided to let him play, or decided that they had no recourse to not let him play. So he played.

In the same vein as Lloyd at Worlds, does anyone know how an 805 rated player got into the USDGC? Some kind of raffle?
I don't know specifically, but generally USDGC spots were given to people who did a lot for the sport. They have some courtesy spots for people like that, so that's what I'd assume is going on there.

I will say one of my best PDGA tournament experiences was playing a mixed 1st round card with a open player and MA1. I was struggling on the front 9, something like +6, and the open player just calmly stated, relax, take your time and enjoy yourself. Something very simple yet easy. I shot the hot scored for the card on the back nine at even. Something I will never forget, thanks KP.

I understand why Open players don't like it, but at a C-tier its not a big deal. Worlds nah that should have a cut off. But it looks like breaking out the older players has open up a number of spots that need to be filled.

I will say one of my best PDGA tournament experiences was playing a mixed 1st round card with a open player and MA1. I was struggling on the front 9, something like +6, and the open player just calmly stated, relax, take your time and enjoy yourself. Something very simple yet easy. I shot the hot scored for the card on the back nine at even. Something I will never forget, thanks KP.
Drift answer: Where it is done well, it's a good idea. Huntsville is a place where they seemed to get it, when I was there it was considered by the Open guys there as their chance to help the next wave of Open players get better and move up. There was no complaining about the n00bs or blaming them for someone's poor play. There are places that get it, and in those places it a cool thing.

St. Louis didn't get it. The best player in town didn't like it and whined about paying money to give up his first round teaching newbies to throw. He set the tone, and a lot of other players followed it. Some guys got it and were cool about it, but it was hit or miss. In that kind of environment, it just doesn't work.

BUT...(back to the thread) after round one Lloyd Weema was throwing with guys that were rated 833, 883, 900, 916...Lets face it, those guys were there for the experience as well. The fact that they were beating the pants off some dude on their card really shouldn't have ruined that. Unless he was a douchebag or something, but no one is saying that, They are just saying he was no good and shouldn't have been in Worlds. By that measure, neither should the 833 rated dude. Or the 883 rated dude. Or the 900 rated dude. There was about 29 players there were rated under 950, none of them finished in the top 150. Depending on where you draw the "should have been there" line, most or all of them were just there for the experience of playing World's. Just like Lloyd Weema.

He does say 'uh' a bunch. Practically before every sentence.

i had to listen again to see if i was crazy. the beginning is painful but he gets a lot better once he gets going. but he does say it enough for me to partially retract my previous statement.

but still not that bad