• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

BUT...(back to the thread) after round one Lloyd Weema was throwing with guys that were rated 833, 883, 900, 916...Lets face it, those guys were there for the experience as well. The fact that they were beating the pants off some dude on their card really shouldn't have ruined that. Unless he was a douchebag or something, but no one is saying that, They are just saying he was no good and shouldn't have been in Worlds. By that measure, neither should the 833 rated dude. Or the 883 rated dude. Or the 900 rated dude. There was about 29 players there were rated under 950, none of them finished in the top 150. Depending on where you draw the "should have been there" line, most or all of them were just there for the experience of playing World's. Just like Lloyd Weema.

This. Worlds has always been part championship, part convention. It's tightened up in the past few years, but still populated by people with no chance of winning.

I'm a little curious how he got in---did invitees not take all the spots, leaving it open to everyone? Seems hard to play 735 golf and earn enough points to get invited.

That said, it can still be a bit annoying to play with someone so far down the skill scale. I get a chance to play both roles from time to time, in casual play---play with people far worse, and far better---and it can be a test of patience. Of course, the right thing to do is put on a smile, suck it up and be patient.

My first worlds was 2001 AmWorlds, when I didn't have the points to get an invitation but that was just a formality. I was a bit surprised to find out they'd let me in; and a bit abashed to tell people I was going to play in the World Championships, when in reality I wasn't competing for the title. But I'm not sure the PDGA needs to set a minimum standard, either; there would be considerable debate over what it should be, and less-than-full Worlds (with less financial resources from all those entries).

That said, it can still be a bit annoying to play with someone so far down the skill scale. I get a chance to play both roles from time to time, in casual play---play with people far worse, and far better---and it can be a test of patience. Of course, the right thing to do is put on a smile, suck it up and be patient.

And I am forever grateful that your smile and patients lasted the whole round I played at Stoney Hill.

If you're missing putts because of someone else's play on your card then that's on you...not the other player. OTOH a cut off rating for an event like worlds would be completely appropriate.

I play with noobs all the time and don't let it affect my game. If some POS Am like myself can overcome that mental hurdle then so can the "pros" so that aspect should not be an issue.

-Dave

Drift answer: Where it is done well, it's a good idea. Huntsville is a place where they seemed to get it, when I was there it was considered by the Open guys there as their chance to help the next wave of Open players get better and move up. There was no complaining about the n00bs or blaming them for someone's poor play. There are places that get it, and in those places it a cool thing.

St. Louis didn't get it. The best player in town didn't like it and whined about paying money to give up his first round teaching newbies to throw. He set the tone, and a lot of other players followed it. Some guys got it and were cool about it, but it was hit or miss. In that kind of environment, it just doesn't work.

BUT...(back to the thread) after round one Lloyd Weema was throwing with guys that were rated 833, 883, 900, 916...Lets face it, those guys were there for the experience as well. The fact that they were beating the pants off some dude on their card really shouldn't have ruined that. Unless he was a douchebag or something, but no one is saying that, They are just saying he was no good and shouldn't have been in Worlds. By that measure, neither should the 833 rated dude. Or the 883 rated dude. Or the 900 rated dude. There was about 29 players there were rated under 950, none of them finished in the top 150. Depending on where you draw the "should have been there" line, most or all of them were just there for the experience of playing World's. Just like Lloyd Weema.

Another point about these players. They all added prize money to the purse. I don't know what the fee was to play the Worlds (maybe $200 per player?) but whatever it was multiply that by 5 because of these low rated players and that's something the top players and the TD don't mind having.

And I am forever grateful that your smile and patients lasted the whole round I played at Stoney Hill.

Ha. You'd have to be a whole lot worse to try my patience.

I've had people come out who've only played disc golf once or twice. People who can hardly throw 150', and can't control that, so are in pretty thick rough a lot. A guy brought his 8-year-old daughter who loves disc golf, and insisted on throwing every single hole until her Dad stopped her at the pond (a lot of 14s). A group brings out a buddy who has never ever played, somehow thinking this would be a good place to start. Sigh.

All of which is about the same gap between me and 1000-rated players, who tolerate my 240' drives and four-putts.

Or if I went to Pro Worlds.

New rule for DGPT, NTS, and Worlds:

In 2020, you must be rated 900 or higher to play MPO. Robert Leonard, AKA MTL, has coined it the "Lloyd Weema" rule.

Last edited:
Citation please. Without a link to something, I'm assuming this is just a joke.

What a joke. One level of completely non-competitive player is more acceptable than another?

...and is the PDGA now differentiating DGPT events from other A-tiers? If so that too is a joke.

I wonder if MTL was betting people that this would happen based on insider info as he has done previously on this forum...

Ultiworld has an article about it I believe, but they may just be sourcing MTL. But, my understanding is that this is true. And I have no problem with it.

Second. Yes the DGPT events are considered "Elite" level, on the same plane as NT events. Although they only have A-tier status for points purposes in the PDGA.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think it's a good rule change. A 900 rated player can at least get through the round without slowing things down too much. A 750 rated player (which lloyd is) adds a ton of time to the pace of play, which must be really annoying for the other players on the card, who although not top pros, are probably at least upper 900's rated players.

I think it's a good rule change. A 900 rated player can at least get through the round without slowing things down too much. A 750 rated player (which lloyd is) adds a ton of time to the pace of play, which must be really annoying for the other players on the card, who although not top pros, are probably at least upper 900's rated players.

In my time of running events I have come to realize that taking more shots is not usually what defines a group as slow. I would almost guarantee you that Nikko is slower than Lloyd...

It can make us look more professional to put a ratings floor in our top events. It is step 1 to a qualifying system in the far off future. And it can help out pace of play. This way we won't have many complaints about a 1020 rated player shooting 30 strokes better than someone on their card and slowing down the entire group (or event).

Honestly, this affects about 5 people. I don't see an issue with it. The lowest person to cash at an NT last year was 950 or so at Vegas.

It can make us look more professional to put a ratings floor in our top events. It is step 1 to a qualifying system in the far off future. And it can help out pace of play. This way we won't have many complaints about a 1020 rated player shooting 30 strokes better than someone on their card and slowing down the entire group (or event).

Honestly, this affects about 5 people. I don't see an issue with it. The lowest person to cash at an NT last year was 950 or so at Vegas.

why stop at 900 then?

imo everyone playing in the things should have to hold a Tour Card (won't happen- need the added cash) OR all players should be able to compete in what is by name an OPEN division.

Latest posts