• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a new driver

Zetterbergie

Hey, i'm looking for a new driver to try out, the course i play just about everyday is a mostly straight and heavily wooded area so i don't have much room to throw much of a hook. I throw right handed backhand. Not worried about the price just want something long and very straight. Any advice on a disc to try out?

Star TL for sure. In a great plastic that will take the abuse of the trees you will hit. Also super straight and long enough for you. Enjoy.

DX Teebird, if you're willing to beat it in a little. Sounds like your courses will do that. It will fly in that straight, stable condition for a long time. A few more beatings and it turns into a nice gentle turnover disc, with almost zero fade back, great for the big anny shots and holes that finish right.

If you want a slower disc for more control, try a Gazelle.

Just throw a mid or a putter. How far are the wooded fairways? If they are under 300' you should be able to use a mid and putter all day. Plus if and when you drill a tree, they usually don't fly as far into the woods.

Star TL for sure. In a great plastic that will take the abuse of the trees you will hit. Also super straight and long enough for you. Enjoy.

Elite Z Glo Stalker.

\/\/

Either of these two suggestions will be great, they are farily straight discs and as you get better and stronger you will be able to get them out to the 400' range. They can alsy be shaped very easily as well.

Hey, i'm looking for a new driver to try out, the course i play just about everyday is a mostly straight and heavily wooded area so i don't have much room to throw much of a hook. I throw right handed backhand. Not worried about the price just want something long and very straight. Any advice on a disc to try out?

How far do you normally throw?
or
What is the distance that you can throw straight with some accuracy?
or
What distance are you looking for?

my home course is pretty wooded and when I'm in the woods I normally use a Cyclone, Buzzz, Meteor, and sometimes a leopard. I have a friend who lives and dies teebirds, but it's all on what you like on the feel. Eagles are nice to but Mine seem to fly high, which hurts in certain times.

hands down, buy a teebird. Get it in champ plastic and it'll hold up very well against all the trees. If you want something faster/longer, then you could up it to a starfire-l or if you generally have good snap, the regular starfire would work.

Discmania PD (Freak) hands down.
Forget the teebird hype, the PD rules...

If its truly tight wooded, I might be tempted to suggest a River. I dont know how far you are throwing so cant say anything about a Teebird or a Freak, but a River is very controllable and just as long in some cases with less fade.

A TL is certainly a good option. A Valkyrie might be another, especially if you find that the TL goes more left than you'd like. An Eagle might be a good choice depending upon how much distance you need, particularly if you can find one in premium plastic. A Polaris LS may work as well.

^ All good posts, depending on how the OP throws. I'll just jump on the Glowzie Stalker and TL bandwagon, with mentioning the KC Pro Cheetah and JLS as well.

I'd recommend a Pro (new run with the numbers printed on front) Leopard or a Champ Teebird. Leopard is great because you can finesse the throw a little more and produce a dead straight drive, which means more accuracy if you are on a tightly wooded course.

Here is a little tip for you. One of the courses I played all the time when I lived in Memphis (Shelby Forrest) had regular league play on Sundays. This course is very mean, narrow, and unforgiving. Almost all of the very good players used Rocs, Buzzzes, or another Mid on all of their shots due to the ability for distance and laser beam straight flight. But here is the kicker and where you might look at changing things: in terms of drivers, they almost invariably used very lightweight (150g-160g-ish) drivers such as cheetahs, leopards, or gazelles. They felt (and proved) that using these lightweight discs allowed them the greatest combination of control, accuracy and distance, which is what you want in the woods. You can get these discs (especially the Leopard and Gazelle) to fly dead nuts straight for really good distance if thrown correctly. Just throw slow with some good snap. They even make 150g Champ Leopards if you want and need a little added stability.

Lets face the facts.... if you have great distance but you have to put a ton of power into the drive to get the disc to fly as wanted, and in trade lose control and accuracy, does it really matter in the woods? Heck no. The guy who knows what he's doing and only comes out to play with a Buzzz and a Wizard will kick your ass all day long....

if you throw it hard: wraith, beast, viking, TL if you throw it softer. all fly fairly straight with a small fade finish.

I will say avoid the Teebird and PD - they fade. Until they're beat to ****, then they flip. Unless you have the arm to toss it 400'+ it will fade, always.

I'll jump on the Stalker and TL bandwagon as well. For stalkers I would say find one <170g if you don't average 350' off the tee. I average 300-320' with my Stalkers and the heavier ones have a small, but noticable fade whereas the 167g that I lost :)doh:) would go straight and sit.

Also forgot to ask, do you throw a Buzzz? That's really where it's at for straight, wooded holes. Depending on how you throw you might not miss distance either. My first choice is a Buzzz for those type situations unless I'm feelin it with the Stalker that day.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful input, after reading all the comments i've decided to go with the stalker as my new driver. I do throw a buzzz z and i really like it, i'd just like a little more distance out of a drive when i need to go striaght and long. Thanks again to everyone for all the help.
-Zetterbergie