• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Looking for a new putter

DJBackhand

Bogey Member
I'm looking to get a new putter. Right now, I'm using a star aviar, but I want to get something that will be more reliable in a headwind.

I'm thinking about getting a JK aviar. I used to have a KC, but it felt way too hard for me. Does anyone have a JK aviar testimonial, or is there another disc you would recommend? How is it for short drives?

By the way, I'm a guy, so my first reaction is that a JK is a "woman's" disc. Hey, if David Wiggins Jr. uses it, then I guess it's not!

I'm new to Disc Golf so take my opinion with a grain of salt but the great posters here put me on to the Latitude 64 Pure putter (my first round was with an Aviar) and it is by far my favorite disc in my bag!!! I use it from everywhere on the course...off the tee if I want a dead straight 200' drive, in the fairway if I want a dead straight shot or if I need an anhyzer and don't want to use my Leopard, and obviously as a putter.

I was struggling the other day during my 3rd round of disc golf ever. Went exclusively to the Pure (Zero Medium plastic) for the last 5 holes and finished par, bogey, par, par, birdie!

Just ordered another one in the Opto plastic for better durability...but my Zero Medium Pure will not leave the bag even when the Opto arrives. Again, I'm a newbie to this sport but there may not be a more versatile disc out there....especially for a beginner who struggles with consistency.

Others with A LOT more experience and a better understanding of the game will definitely give you more helpful advice than I can....listen to them - they lead me in the right direction!!!

TripleB

Thanks for the input Triple B! I'm kind of stubborn because I only use Innova discs, but it sounds like the one you're using is working great for you.

DJBackhand

LOL...I was the exact same way...Innova only when I ordered my first few disc.

Then the posters here put me onto the Pure as well as other fantastic non-Innova disc. Within a week I'll have 5 Innova (Aviar, Shark, Leopard, Teebird, Tern), 2 Latitude 64 (Pure Opto, Pure 0 Med) , and 2 Discraft (Ringer, Comet) in my bag.

Best of luck with your search...you will get a ton of great advice here!

TripleB

Those are great choices on the Innova side of things, especially the shark and tern! I need to work on my driving mechanics, but even though they're not where they should be, I still get good results with the tern.

JKs are a simply a big bead Aviar in a variant compound. This particular one is softer with a top that varies from close to flat to minor puddle. Flight wise it will beat touches off of lss a bit faster than kc pro or yeti and have a bit less glide than a kc pro.
In my humble opinion, in the big bead Aviar game it's about what feels good in your hand. soft Omegas are pretty close to JKs too.

Thanks for the input MarkDSM. I've also considered getting a yeti. How does it hold up to a headwind vs. a JK?

yetis are a bit beefier in high speed stability out of the box than JK's, but after a few hits will settle about the same as the JK.

So you mean that once I break in a yeti, it'll be more or less as good in headwinds as a JK?

Pretty much.
I've thrown and putted with Yeti's for years. The last JK I bought flew just like my two seasoned Yetis, was not worth the switch for me. I don't think a JK is going to be any more stable than a Premium plastic Aviar though, the last star Aviar I threw was pretty stable for an Aviar, much more so than a DX.

I'd put the Yeti in between the JK and KC feel wise. Seasoned Yetis have the best all season feel to me. The JK feels too soft in the summer, almost like a little stiffer R-Pro, but is nice when it's cold.

If your already putting with a beadless Aviar and having no problems, instead of going to a beaded putter, you could also try a P2 or Aviar3.

I prefer beaded putters though and my wind putter is a DX Rhyno, it doesn't get used often though, a Yeti can handle some wind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Keller!

When I had a KC aviar, I wasn't a huge fan of the bead, but I think that was due to the fact that a KC is really stiff. The bead almost felt uncomfortable.

DJBackhand

If you want a putter that's similar to the Aviar family (it uses the lower wing piece of the big bead Aviar) but will stand up to a headwind, look at a DX/R-Pro Rhyno. If you want a firmer blend than the flexy R-Pro, the Factory Store has the firm blend. You will lose glide moving to it, but I'd argue that's not really what you want in a headwind disc anyway.

If you'd rather have it beadless to match your PnA, the HyzerBomb Tank is made up of the Rhyno top and beadless Aviar bottom.

Thanks for the thoughts tbird888 and dysmike! If the stifness of the plastic wouldn't change my feelings about the bead, I may just stick with beadless.

Does anyone have any experience with a whale? I hear it's also stable, yet great in headwinds. Also, how stiff would you say the XT plastic is? As stiff as KC?

Does anyone have any experience with a whale? I hear it's also stable, yet great in headwinds. Also, how stiff would you say the XT plastic is? As stiff as KC?

XT is not as stiff as KC. It's more of a really grippy DX. It's almost like a stiffer R-Pro but not overly so. Kind of a almost rubber type feel I guess without the floppy nature of rubber.

Describing how something feels is hard. :wall:

Lat 64 Caltrop will handle a headwind, very Rhino-like IMHO, the base level plastic will beat into a straighter disc faster, of course-

I love the feel of it for FH and BH approach shots, windy day putts, and BH off the Tee on the shorter holes

Latest posts