• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a simple solid bag

PeterMonk

Birdie Member
Vitals:
Sex: M
Experience: 2.5 years now -&- 2 years back around 2000
Throwing: RHBH & some sidearm

Bag:

Putters:
175 X-link Medium Summit: for narrow alley – must go straight even at the cost of distance (200')
173 (2) BT Medium Shield: Putting putter and straight driver (250')
175 BT Medium Harp: Approach disc (250')

Mids:
169 ESP Meteor: anhyzer and straight/right (290')
172 Recycled Claymore: straight (280')
170 X-Link Obex: straight with fade (280')

Fairway Drivers:
170 Star Leopard: short, hyzer-flip, straight drives (275-300')
169 GStar TL3: like the Leopard only it doesn't anny well (275'-300')
167 Star Eagle: Main Driver (325'), straight sidearms (250')
168 Gstar Eagle: (new) TBD

Distance Drivers:
169 Star Sidewinder: controlled anhyzers and hyzer-flips (325')
168 Liquid Escape: (new) straight drives (325')
168 Sirius Orion LF: Utility OS and sidearms that need to fade (280')
158 Blizzard Krait: (new) Big anhyzers, hyzer-flip (325-50') (wind-sensitive)

Questions:
  • The Star Eagle is the disc that works the best for me. Can this be a clue as to other discs that may be good in my hands?
  • Besides the Eagles, my other two fairway drivers are not much better than my mids. Do I keep working on it? Would a River work better for me? Should I drop the 5 speeds and go with the control of the Roc and view my mids as filling the 225-275' range of shots?
  • Over speed 7 my game gets inconsistent. Do I keep working at it or slow down?

simple bags have MVP in them.. just saying :p

Ion, theory, vector, volt. all fly 350-'400' even considering speed class.

Or like you more directly asked yes try to throw the slower dics further and on different lines vs worrying about faster speed disc. Putters fly very far when you lean to throw them nicely.

I throw my ions over 300'+ on different lines so even a mid at that distance comes into question.

What are your go-to discs in each class? If you had to pick one driver, one mid and 1-2 putters what would they be?

Looking at it from a newbie standpoint and from playing stick golf for 40 years, I decided to try and keep it simple as I could. I did a lot of research before buying any disc. Then I found where disc were sold and went to physically feel them. Look at the different plastics offered. Read more reviews and made a list of disc. Bought the basics to learn the form.

Now due to the physical limitations of a 54 year old, one must learn to throw within their limits. 300' throw will be a goal. Placement seems to be key in this game just like stick golf. So I have tried to pick 5 disc that will fit in a NutSac, and learn to play with those.

Distance Driver ~ TBD
Fairway Driver ~ Leopard GStar
Mid Range ~ Panther Champion
Putter\ App ~ Dart R Pro
Putter ~ Millennium Omega SS

This is what I'm going to learn to play with and practice with. This seems to be better than having to haul around 3 or 4 lbs of plastic. I'm not good enough for a caddy.
Good luck!

Last edited:
A few things I noticed in your post relate to me. I am the same way where anything between speed 7 and speed 9 I am ok with but anything more and I get inconsistent.

Your best bet is to continue working with all discs under speed 7 and slowly add in higher speed stuff as you feel better about it. I just bought a frost river and love it. Had some great shots this morning.

I tend to like to keep things simple:

Overstable and Stable distance
Overstable and slightly stable fairway
OS, slightly OS, S, and US mids
Putter

If I wanted I could narrow my bag to:

Avenger
Stalker
River
Buzzz
Comet
Wizard

And that would cover most of my lines. I also tend to not like innova but that is a personal preference. I would say stick with the eagle and leopard a couple mids and couple putters. Then again, all the courses I play have holes between 225 and 400' so distance drivers don't mean as much to me.

The reason I started with Innova was the different discs and the different plastics.After researching their products, flight patterns and the availability of their disc, I decided I would use it as my baseline.
I know that I have quite a mixed bag for stick golf, Callaway, Titelist, Mizuno, Cleveland, and Wilson. After playing for a while you find favorites and you stick with them. Having confidence in a club is the same as with a disc. I think this may be more present in someone who is a feel player. So I think after playing a while and finding what you like, a name doesn't make it fly.

What are your go-to discs in each class? If you had to pick one driver, one mid and 1-2 putters what would they be?

Distance Driver: Sidewinder | Fairway Driver: Eagle | Mid: Roc (yeah not listed above but I trust it on a long approach) | Putter: Shield

Aim - I did do a MVP bag for a season and have two aces with the Axis. I simply wish they had grippier plastic since I live in the Pac NW.
Also, part of current frustration is that I simply cannot get my mids up to 300'. Getting either a putter or mid to 275' can be done, but 300' no. I need a fairway, at least, to get there.

CAB - I do wonder about what my physical limits are at this time. Maybe my hopes of constantly hitting 350' drives is a bit much at this point. In that case the important thing to do is to work on accurate approaches and putting.

Redskin98 - Thanks for the advise. The Eagle is the one driver that works well with any kind of consistency. The Leopard can use some work, which is why I am wondering about a River. If I simply decide that my 5 speed mids are not going to get to 300' (the length of many of the holes I play) then I might as well cycle Rocs for their accuracy.

Redskin98 - Thanks for the advise. The Eagle is the one driver that works well with any kind of consistency. The Leopard can use some work, which is why I am wondering about a River. If I simply decide that my 5 speed mids are not going to get to 300' (the length of many of the holes I play) then I might as well cycle Rocs for their accuracy.

The river is an interesting tweener between fairways and distance. When I started disc golf my mind set was:

Putter: putting only
Mids: only approach shots <150'
Fairways: everything under 300'
Distance: Everything under 400'
Max D: everything under 500'

But in reality, for us mortal armed humans, its really like putters: 200ish, mids 250 or so (sometimes 300), fairways: 300-350, distance 350-400.

Personally I love the river, I just bought a frost line that is very grippy but same durability (or so they say) as opto plastic. It is very smooth, does not have to be released fast and just has a very smooth glide. I have not really tested it for turnover, nor am I that good at doing turnover shots :D

I used to cycle rocs like you are talking about but the bottom line was that if I lost one then it took a while to replace it (ex: lose the number 2 worn disc and number 3 is too flippy and number 1 is brand new. Then I am missing a stable mid). Because of this I went to discraft and bought ESP plastic mids that are tend to fly truer (for me, again this is confidence thing as Cab mentioned above) and went with a Wasp, Meteor and Buzzz. The meteor I am not crazy about but I love the other two and recently added a comet which has been a unique addition. I can get the mids to 275 usually so that is where my fairways come out. Most courses I play on usually top out around 350 so I am in the same position as you.

Distance Driver: Sidewinder | Fairway Driver: Eagle | Mid: Roc (yeah not listed above but I trust it on a long approach) | Putter: Shield

I would roll this setup for awhile and see how you can make those discs work all of your lines for you.

Have you tried a Roc3 yet? Same dependability as the Roc, slightly more distance potential since it's a faster disc. Also, the top is board flat and grips really great.

Have you tried a Roc3 yet? Same dependability as the Roc, slightly more distance potential since it's a faster disc. Also, the top is board flat and grips really great.

I have been considering it now that it is in G* and McPro plastic. Had a Champ and I remember how straight it would fly before the fade at the end. Currently using an Obex in that slot.

The other thing as well, which I don't know if I mentioned before, is that consistency and accuracy takes precedent for me. I may have a disc that 1 in every 10 throws can get me some great distance (this was a teebird) but I was much more consistent with the stalker, but not as long. I would rather throw 300' and know where it is going ever time versus 350 in the right location one in 10 times.

The other thing as well, which I don't know if I mentioned before, is that consistency and accuracy takes precedent for me. I may have a disc that 1 in every 10 throws can get me some great distance (this was a teebird) but I was much more consistent with the stalker, but not as long. I would rather throw 300' and know where it is going ever time versus 350 in the right location one in 10 times.

I tend to agree with this mind set also. I am working on trying to throw at say 80% and under control. Never was very good at the " Grip It and Rip It.

I have been considering it now that it is in G* and McPro plastic. Had a Champ and I remember how straight it would fly before the fade at the end. Currently using an Obex in that slot.

Never thrown an Obex, so why did you end up putting the Obex in that slot over the Roc3? Was it the Champ plastic or something else?

Never thrown an Obex, so why did you end up putting the Obex in that slot over the Roc3? Was it the Champ plastic or something else?

Mostly due to the plastic, but the Obex does fit my hand well.

For me Champ and especially Z plastics do not work in the cool, wet Pacific NW. Yes many here make it work for them, for me it slips out of my hand too soon. So if I threw a Stalker I would look for a Ti one.

I think that cycling Roc's isn't as big a deal as it once was, with all the plastic types now available, it's pretty easy to find a few to cover most shot. In my experience, the Roc3 is not as stable as a KC and a DX beats in pretty easily. If I were to have only one Roc to carry, it would be either a G* or Champion Roc3.

I've been simplifying my bag over the last year, I'm pretty tired of all the new discs out there and I find it hinders rather than helps my game. Too many choices breeds a lack of confidence.

I'm 53, my dream of bombing drives 450ft is past, but I have worked on my form all year and it has improved, 350ft is not unrealistic, you just need to step back and realize that that big speed driver is pretty much useless to you (a hard pill to swallow) and settle into what you can control. A Valkyrie, Escape, Sidewinder are all capable of 400ft, I however am not!

Watching some in the bag videos has helped me realize that I don't need a 100 molds to accomplish what I need to do. I just watched Simon's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNkDFY9XBE that shows you need little to do a lot. Even Climo's video.

Good luck, keep plugging along and remember this is supposed to be fun!

I will be out this afternoon with my Shield, Roc, Eagle, Sidewinder and see if I miss any of the other discs.