• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Los Angeles to San Francisco courses

funnystance

Par Member
I'm looking for two courses to play between these two cities: one on way up and one on way down. I've played Coyote Point in Ventura, the one in Santa Maria, and Laguna Lake in San Luis Obispo many times and would like something new. (My buddy is coming from the east coast so we may go out of our way to do De La, but that takes forever and I'm not sure it's worth how long it takes imo).

Anyone got any faves or little known gems that arent too far out of the way for that trip? (We can take the 5 or 101 or 1 so feel free to give recs based on any of those routes)

Thank you!

I'd play DeLa. They're doing and have done a lot of work to prepare for the worlds. Its in great shape right now. Stafford just north of San Fran is a gem.

I'd play the four 2011 Pro Worlds Courses, including De La. The other three Pinto Lake in Watsonville, Ryan Ranch in Monterey and CSUMB Oaks in Marina. Hit me up if you need a guide at Ryan Ranch or CSUMB, I live minutes away from both courses! :)

Go to Stafford Lake in Novato, 25 minutes north of SF. You'll avoid the crowds and have the course mostly to yourself (especially weekdays), and it's just beautiful right now. If you do go, check yourself for ticks as there are TONS of deer and jackrabbits there and the tick population is large. Another great option is Skyline Wilderness Park in Napa if you want a technical very hilly workout with great food on way back to the highway (market taqueria).

Tim S.

If you are in San Francisco, Golden Gate Park is a must! It's always kept in great shape and it's just as good if not better than De La. There is also Aquatic Park in Berkeley. Very nice course, but it's a disc eater due to the wind and all the water. Plus it's only a quick drive over the Bay bridge to get there. Stafford is nice, but may be out of your way and a spotter is a must. It is a very beautifull course. Skyline Wilderness park is also very well maintaned. It is a very technical park and you must have every shot in your bag or it will be a long day.
If you do make it to Santa Cruz, De La is a must. Black Mouse and Pinto Lake are a must play too. The nice thing about these three. Is that they are only several minutes apart and downtown Santa Cruz is a must visit. The Boardwalk area is cool too.

Don't even consider the San Francisco course unless it's weekday. It's a zoo on the weekends - not very fun IMO with slow large groups, discs flying at you from overly close fairways, etc. Delaveaga is fantastic though...

Tim S.

I know these have already been mentioned, but here is another vote for DeLa, Ryan Ranch and Golden Gate.

Stafford Lake is def. worth the trip as well. If I remember correctly, it was only a half hour or so drive from Golden Gate Park.

In between Casitas and Santa Maria is Evergreen in Goleta. Not as epic as the other two but it has some nice holes.

If you are in San Francisco, Golden Gate Park is a must! It's always kept in great shape and it's just as good if not better than De La. There is also Aquatic Park in Berkeley. Very nice course, but it's a disc eater due to the wind and all the water. Plus it's only a quick drive over the Bay bridge to get there. Stafford is nice, but may be out of your way and a spotter is a must. It is a very beautifull course. Skyline Wilderness park is also very well maintaned. It is a very technical park and you must have every shot in your bag or it will be a long day.
If you do make it to Santa Cruz, De La is a must. Black Mouse and Pinto Lake are a must play too. The nice thing about these three. Is that they are only several minutes apart and downtown Santa Cruz is a must visit. The Boardwalk area is cool too.

Don't bother with Berkeley if you ask me. Far too many non-dgers, and very confusing without a guide. All the other suggestions I recommend.

You have a job to do!

Please go play the new Sea Pine Golf Resort in Los Osos and post a review!

We need to know more about this course. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4479

hey discette! i think that's a great idea for the way up!

thanks everybody else for replying. i've played ryan ranch a couple times and loved it. also played novato, which was my favorite course ever till i played renaissance in charlotte last year. we'll definitely hit up golden gate while in SF. I think we'll probably do pinto lake since i havent played that one yet, and do this short los oros course too.

^Whoa... Stafford Lake is WAY better than Renaissance!!!

As far as the rest of your trip goes... there isn't really anything along the 101 that I remember being a must play except Casitas, Evergreen and DeLa... but, you've already played those, so... IDK.

And, there's nothing going up the I-5.

Good Luck!
DSCJNKY

^Whoa... Stafford Lake is WAY better than Renaissance!!!

not that it's anything other than opinion, but i think renaissance has better, more interestingly designed holes. it's been more than 4 years since i've played stafford (while i played renny last year, and maybe if i played in the opposite order, i'd think differently). i only remember a couple of holes with par more than 3 at stafford, and i just like to play par 4s and 5s, since they tend to require more strategy, and renny has a lot of those.

anyway, both are really top notch courses. stafford is certainly more scenic. i also played a very solid round at renny (-2, gold) which made me love it even more, and when i played stafford i was shepherding 3 straight up newbies (2 of em ladies) and spent a lot of time spotting and teaching, etc.

it's also possible that since you're in NC and i'm in CA, we both put the courses that are harder for us to get to on a pedestal.
in any case, i'd gladly play either of those courses on any given day.

it's also possible that since you're in NC and i'm in CA, we both put the courses that are harder for us to get to on a pedestal.
in any case, i'd gladly play either of those courses on any given day.

Ahhhh... but, I'm a Cali native... so I am not biased one way or the other. Actually, in general, NC disc golf blows away CA disc golf. So, if anything, I'd be biased in this direction.

Since both have great golf, beauty has to be the deciding factor.

Stafford is sooooo much more beautiful than Renny, that, to me, it has to win. Renny just has too much clutter (extra baskets, tee-pads, signage, OB stakes of varying styles, powerlines, etc...)... and is therefore quite ugly. Stafford Lake on the other hand has wide open views of golden hillsides dotted with massive oak trees, wildlife... and a lake!

Plus, Stafford has HUGE golf to play. A massive 600+ foot top of the world shot, an 1100' mostly flat (slightly downhill) hole, and more. It's not like it's a sub-Par course in terms of length.

Anyway... I agree with everything you said... matter of opinion, shooting -2 gold (which means you're very good), shepparding the newbs having an effect on your memory of the course, and even the NC/CA idea. However, in my opinion, Stafford Lake is the best course in Cali (of the 50 I've played in CA) and Renny isn't the best course in NC (of the 50 I've played here in NC). So... to me, it's a no-brainer.

But, as you said, it's all a matter of opinion... and I'd play either of them anytime. Sorry for the long post.

DSCJNKY

Last edited:
Ahhhh... but, I'm a Cali native... so I am not biased one way or the other. Actually, in general, NC disc golf blows away CA disc golf. So, if anything, I'd be biased in this direction.

Since both have great golf, beauty has to be the deciding factor.

Stafford is sooooo much more beautiful than Renny, that, to me, it has to win. Renny just has too much clutter (extra baskets, tee-pads, signage, OB stakes of varying styles, powerlines, etc...)... and is therefore quite ugly. Stafford Lake on the other hand has wide open views of golden hillsides dotted with massive oak trees, wildlife... and a lake!

Plus, Stafford has HUGE golf to play. A massive 600+ foot top of the world shot, an 1100' mostly flat (slightly downhill) hole, and more. It's not like it's a sub-Par course in terms of length.

Anyway... I agree with everything you said... matter of opinion, shooting -2 gold (which means you're very good), shepparding the newbs having an effect on your memory of the course, and even the NC/CA idea. However, in my opinion, Stafford Lake is the best course in Cali (of the 50 I've played in CA) and Renny isn't the best course in NC (of the 50 I've played here in NC). So... to me, it's a no-brainer.

But, as you said, it's all a matter of opinion... and I'd play either of them anytime. Sorry for the long post.

DSCJNKY

I hear ya. I'm actually an SC native, now in cali, so we are indeed reversed. i do agree that disc golf in the south is much better than in cali - i was pretty disappointed when i moved here after playing a lot in SC and GA.

just wondering - what is better than renny in NC?

i liked the little touches at renny: cool walks in between holes; unique bridges; that crazy spotting tower thing, etc.

you are making me remember why i loved stafford so much though: cows grazing, streams, unblemished scenery in every direction. very nice course

hey discette! i think that's a great idea for the way up!

thanks everybody else for replying. i've played ryan ranch a couple times and loved it. also played novato, which was my favorite course ever till i played renaissance in charlotte last year. we'll definitely hit up golden gate while in SF. I think we'll probably do pinto lake since i havent played that one yet, and do this short los oros course too.
Pinto is cool, it's a tale of two courses. It started off as a 9 hole course, but a back 9 was added. Not a bad thing, but you can tell. Still one of my favorite courses though. Also bring some Technu! It's not bad, but you may need it. If you get a chance, downtown Santa Cruz is a cool place to walk around and have a cold one with some killer pizza (Pizza my Heart).

It is a little out of the way, but Hart Park in Bakersfield has a really wonderful mountain course as well as a flat course that you won't find any more interesting than Goat Hill.

just wondering - what is better than renny in NC?

Personally... Ashe County is the best I've played in NC so far.
Within Charlotte, I think "The Web" (Hornets Nest Long) is slightly better than Renny Gold.
And, then there's this private course that rhymes with Jacket Stuff.
And, I've read great things about Sugaree that lead me to believe it will be fantastic.

But, you're right... Renny is great... and definitely a toss up in terms of shot quality.

DSCJNKY

Latest posts