• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Francisco to San Diego

Mr. Butlertron

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Im heading to San Diego via San Francisco this upcoming December and I'm looking for must play courses, tournaments, and leagues to play along the way. I'll likely travel close to the coast , but I'm willing to meander inland based on the events available. The following is a list of courses I'm considering:

Lagoon Valley, Vacavilla
Black Mouse, Felton
DeLaveaga, Santa Cruiz
Both CSUMB, Seaside
Ryan Ranch, Monteray
Waller Park, Santa Maria
Vandenburg AFB
Beattie Park, Lompoc
Sylmar, Sylmar
Coyote Park/Lake Casitas, Ventura
Sky High, Wightwood
Oak Grove, Pasadena
Rabbit Flats, Thousand Oaks
La Mirada, La Mirada
Kit Carson, Escondido
Brengle Terrace Park, Vista
Goat Hill, Oceanside

Obviously, there isn't enough time to play all the courses along my route. The list I complied is mostly based on linear travel and average course ratings, but in reality I'm sure if I have time I'll play some of the garbage courses near the good ones. I think I'll probably linger around in LA for a little extra time because there are so many courses in the greater area. I'm traveling with my wife, so adding a few easy courses might be better for her and subsequently my moral.

As far as events go, I've archived PDGA events of December because that's all can think of. Does anyone know of December tournaments and/or league times & dates for the courses I listed? How about greater L.A. courses I may not have listed that I should maybe consider adding to my list? Any local information would be greatly appreciated.

Im heading to San Diego via San Francisco this upcoming December and I'm looking for must play courses, tournaments, and leagues to play along the way. I'll likely travel close to the coast , but I'm willing to meander inland based on the events available. The following is a list of courses I'm considering:

Lagoon Valley, Vacavilla
Black Mouse, Felton
DeLaveaga, Santa Cruiz
Both CSUMB, Seaside
Ryan Ranch, Monteray
Waller Park, Santa Maria
Vandenburg AFB
Beattie Park, Lompoc
Sylmar, Sylmar
Coyote Park/Lake Casitas, Ventura
Sky High, Wightwood
Oak Grove, Pasadena
Rabbit Flats, Thousand Oaks
La Mirada, La Mirada
Kit Carson, Escondido
Brengle Terrace Park, Vista
Goat Hill, Oceanside

Obviously, there isn't enough time to play all the courses along my route. The list I complied is mostly based on linear travel and average course ratings, but in reality I'm sure if I have time I'll play some of the garbage courses near the good ones. I think I'll probably linger around in LA for a little extra time because there are so many courses in the greater area. I'm traveling with my wife, so adding a few easy courses might be better for her and subsequently my moral.

As far as events go, I've archived PDGA events of December because that's all can think of. Does anyone know of December tournaments and/or league times & dates for the courses I listed? How about greater L.A. courses I may not have listed that I should maybe consider adding to my list? Any local information would be greatly appreciated.

Our league dates and times tend to change around here seasonally, so for the latest SD info check out sandiegoaces.com. Morley Field is a fun play, too, if you have time. It takes a while if you don't get there early.

If you want to head inland, Mountain Pride Park in Murrieta is a gem. The club there is extremely active in improving the course, and it just gets better and better.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more insight into the SD area, or if you want someone to show you around. Cheers!

Golden Gate Park IMO is a must play. The quality of DG isnt really the highest but it was a great time and setting. I really enjoyed the park outside of the DGC. I wont run back there next time I am in northern CA but a spot i suggest you stop and take it all in.

Our league dates and times tend to change around here seasonally, so for the latest SD info check out sandiegoaces.com. Morley Field is a fun play, too, if you have time. It takes a while if you don't get there early.

If you want to head inland, Mountain Pride Park in Murrieta is a gem. The club there is extremely active in improving the course, and it just gets better and better.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more insight into the SD area, or if you want someone to show you around. Cheers!

Mountain Pride eh? I was actually just reading up on that course. I'll be spending the most time in SD area, I just may take you up on your offer. Is there ever a time Morley field is not busy?

Golden Gate Park IMO is a must play. The quality of DG isnt really the highest but it was a great time and setting. I really enjoyed the park outside of the DGC. I wont run back there next time I am in northern CA but a spot i suggest you stop and take it all in.

I've played there before back in 08. It was a bit crowded and underwhelming for me to throw it again instead of playing a new -to- me course. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ah yeah if you have played it once that's understandable.

I was lucky to be there in the AM with just a few other locals and trash can recycle hunters lol. Have a great time sounds like an epic trip. We drove the coast when i was a kid but would love to do it playing DG.

Yeah, it's funny how much of a difference a website like this makes. When I first started playing in 03, finding out about courses was impossibly difficult and almost mythical. Because of DGCR I've probably played more courses and done more reviews overseas than in the states. I just knocked out new review complete with pictures and travel tips from a trip last weekend. It Is a cool feeling to be able to contribute to the effort even when abroad.

What about Stafford Lake? That would be a nice way to start if it's not too far out of your way from SF.

I have played 6 of the courses on your list, but I started in the LA area with Huntington Beach and Oak Grove before heading north. Wish I had a GPS and/or better maps at the time...especially on a solo road trip.

Coyote Point and Stafford Lake were my favorites from my Left Coast road trip. Have fun out there! :thmbup:

Black Mouse I've heard some decent things about. But don't know for sure. That's still northern.

You should try and hit Sea Pines outside of San Luis Obispo. They have golf carts to rent and the views are epic. You can see Morro Bay Rock and Montana de Oro. Disc golf on a ball golf course, pretty fun times.

A new course right off of 101 by Paso Robles is called Whale Rock DGC Castoro Cellars, it's a vineyard where you can wine taste and play disc golf, throw over vineyards and putt on hanging baskets and baskets in wine barrels! http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7029
I got a chance to play this when I went home to visit the Central Coast and had a absolute blast. I think your wife would enjoy too. If you hit it on a weekend chances are they may have live music, wine tasting and an art gallery.

Also in Atascadero there is Heilman park, in my opinion it's probably better than Beattie and VAFB

I'd play Hellman and Castoro in a day, stay in San Luis obispo or camp at Montana de Oro and then play sea pines and Waller park. That's a great two days on the central coast!

I think you could skip Rabbit Flats in Thousand Oaks. It is a 9 hole course with 27 targets.

Other options would be... pick any other course.

Verdugo Hills is only 9 holes on an executive ball golf course. You get green grass, lots of elevation and a bar and grill on site! You can also play this one late in the day and into the night as it has lights. There is also a Monday Night League at Verdugo at 7:00pm.

If you want to get inland in the LA area, I would suggest Yucaipa Disc Golf Course.

Other courses to consider over Rabbit Flats would be Chavez Ridge, Whittier Narrows, Huntington Beach or El Dorado.

NorCal Advice:

Lagoon Valley, Vacaville
Stafford Lake, Novato
Golden Gate Park, SF

Black Mouse, Felton
DeLaveaga, Santa Cruz
Both CSUMB, Seaside
Ryan Ranch, Monterey

My very personal, biased opinions. Skip the red, add the blue.

I think you could skip Rabbit Flats in Thousand Oaks. It is a 9 hole course with 27 targets.

Verdugo Hills is only 9 holes on an executive ball golf course. You get green grass, lots of elevation and a bar and grill on site! You can also play this one late in the day and into the night as it has lights. There is also a Monday Night League at Verdugo at 7:00pm.

Other courses to consider over Rabbit Flats would be Chavez Ridge, Whittier Narrows, Huntington Beach or El Dorado.

As usual, Suzette knows.

The only thing I would add about Rabbit Flats is that it's quite close to the 101. It'll be easy to play if you're in a hurry (and if you're on the 101, of course.) And it's clean. And well maintained. The club does a nice job with that place, considering what they have to work with, which ain't much.

Suzette, isn't Verdugo an 18 hole track? At least it was when I played the weekly there a few weeks ago. Love Verdugo because of the lights, bar/grill & it's clean.

Also, I haven't been up to it yet but Mt. Waterman has a brand new course at the top of their chair lift. I'm dying to check it out. It looks pretty great. I think they have a FB page with the info. Mt. Waterman is in the San Gabriels on Angeles Crest Hwy, on the way to a Sky High, if you're coming up the 2 from LA.

As usual, Suzette knows.

The only thing I would add about Rabbit Flats is that it's quite close to the 101. It'll be easy to play if you're in a hurry (and if you're on the 101, of course.) And it's clean. And well maintained. The club does a nice job with that place, considering what they have to work with, which ain't much.

Suzette, isn't Verdugo an 18 hole track? At least it was when I played the weekly there a few weeks ago. Love Verdugo because of the lights, bar/grill & it's clean.

Also, I haven't been up to it yet but Mt. Waterman has a brand new course at the top of their chair lift. I'm dying to check it out. It looks pretty great. I think they have a FB page with the info. Mt. Waterman is in the San Gabriels on Angeles Crest Hwy, on the way to a Sky High, if you're coming up the 2 from LA.

D'oh. Vedugo is 18 holes! Need more coffee.

Mountain Pride eh? I was actually just reading up on that course. I'll be spending the most time in SD area, I just may take you up on your offer. Is there ever a time Morley field is not busy?
Definitely a resounding up-vote for Mtn. Pride. That course just keeps getting better and better. :thmbup:

As for Morley, there are times when it's definitely LESS crowded, but "less" is relative. It's a disc golf fixture, located in the heart of metro San Diego, and needless to say it attracts a lot of attention. Best plan is to go there with patience and plenty of time to spare and not worry about the crowds. Outside of the groups of 10-15 errant chucker bros, you're bound to run into friendly players which makes playing a legacy course at a slow pace even more enjoyable.

Brengle Terrace and Kit Carson are easily accessible, free, and will present fun challenges in their own ways. Definitely plan to check both of them out if you're in the North County (San Diego) for the full day. I would even go as far as recommending Montiel Park if you're planning to hit Brengle and Kit. It's conveniently located right off the freeway between the 2 courses. It's a fun little pitch and putt 9 hole course that has a safari layout to make it a full 18. Easy to stop off and get even more golf in if you're travelling between the 2 other courses.

Goat Hill is fun, but unless you're really itching to play a wide open, loooong ball golf course type layout, you might consider skipping it and playing Mtn. Pride or even Sky High instead. I like Goat Hill, but would have a hard time recommending it to someone who is just travelling through the area when there are plenty of other courses to check out. That said, if you did want to play a ton of DG in one day, you could link together Goat Hill, Brengle, Montiel/CSUSM, Kit and have all of your North County disc golf spots covered!

If you get in touch with onemilemore, tell him to drag me out too. ;)

Oh sheesh... Just saw you're here in December. Scratch Sky High from your list. They'll be closed (seasonal). Goat Hill will be a fine stand-in.

NorCal Advice:

Lagoon Valley, Vacaville
Stafford Lake, Novato
Golden Gate Park, SF

Black Mouse, Felton
DeLaveaga, Santa Cruz
Both CSUMB, Seaside
Ryan Ranch, Monterey

My very personal, biased opinions. Skip the red, add the blue.

Actually, I am coming in on a plane bound for The Fairfield area (Travis AFB). Lagoon Valley & Stafford Lake could defiantly work. Do you recommend taking the 37 to 101?

Actually, I am coming in on a plane bound for The Fairfield area (Travis AFB). Lagoon Valley & Stafford Lake could defiantly work. Do you recommend taking the 37 to 101?

That's probably the best way. Beware of rush hour on 101 in Novato, though. It's hell.

As for Hells Gate, do you mean the private course in Valley Center? Haven't played it, but Mark, the owner, is a standup member of the local scene. He'll treat you well.

Play Mountain Pride...it's a great course and is worth the trip up from San Diego. The local club has and continues to put a ton of time and effort into making it a great course.

That's probably the best way. Beware of rush hour on 101 in Novato, though. It's hell.

As for Hells Gate, do you mean the private course in Valley Center? Haven't played it, but Mark, the owner, is a standup member of the local scene. He'll treat you well.

If I coming from the Fairfield area I might consider making the Napa course a stop in between Lagoon Lake and Stafford Lake. Do you know if Napa's course is worth going out of the way for in the winter?

Skyline Wilderness is worth a stop IMO. It's a long hike to Hole #1 from the parking lot, but great course. The only thing missing there was a long downhill bomber type of hole. Here are a couple of pics I took there back in late Feb/early March 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 8