• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Francisco / NW California

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm going to be taking a trip to California in mid-July. I'll be flying into LA, but only spending a day there. Then I'll be heading up to San Francisco and wine country area by car (not sure which route I'm going to take yet). We'll probably head up further north as well, and possibly into southern Oregon if there's enough time since that area looks absolutely amazing to me.

I don't like super-technical courses with the majority of holes having unfair fairways, but that's pretty much my only caveat. I'd also really like to play in some redwoods areas if there are any good courses in that region. I do like to air it out, but I don't like wide open holes with zero/easy to avoid obstacles.

Golden gate is sort of a go-to IMO if you are also into park stuff it is a full day for sure if you want it to be. I had a blast there. Course was fun and park was even better.

Skyline Wilderness Park is criminally underrated on DGCR's list of California's top courses. I strongly suggest you check it out if you're in the Napa area.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1827

2nd vote for Skyline Wilderness. Awesome course!

Other courses to consider on that route from LA heading north that I have played and would love to get back for another round....Oak Grove (1st ever permanent course) in Pasadena, just outside of LA. Also, Coyote Point, Waller Park, Ryan Ranch, DeLaveaga, Golden Gate Park and Stafford Lake.

Have fun on the Left Coast!!

So it looks like we'll most likely be hitting up Delaveaga, Golden Gate, and hopefully Brooktrails if we can make it there.

The one thing that has me concerned about Delaveaga is that on this last pro tour stop they kept talking about the poison oak out there. Is it really that bad? Bad enough to warrant not playing the course?

Also, we're going to be in the Sonoma Valley area for a couple days. What do y'all think is the best course in that region? Stafford Lake?

So it looks like we'll most likely be hitting up Delaveaga, Golden Gate, and hopefully Brooktrails if we can make it there.

The one thing that has me concerned about Delaveaga is that on this last pro tour stop they kept talking about the poison oak out there. Is it really that bad? Bad enough to warrant not playing the course?

Also, we're going to be in the Sonoma Valley area for a couple days. What do y'all think is the best course in that region? Stafford Lake?

Every other course North of San Fransisco will have bigger poison oak potential than DeLa. I don't want to scare you off plenty of folks who I play with are super allergic and do fine by just being a bit careful, carrying some alcohol wipes for disc and bag, and giving yourself stroke free hazard relief if you are not on a fairway... or as close to a fairway as these courses have.

Stafford, Skyline, Taylor mountain current reviews are pretty on. They are very similar courses in a way but just get shorter and easier. All have an abundance of poison oak errant shots will find. It can be avoided, or find someone immune for disc retrieval.

Stafford is longer, I think the views are better, the shot variety is great, never crowded, more challenging but fair. Can be windy in the early afternoon into the evening in the spring and summer.
Skyline we can say the same thing as Stafford, but generally shorter. depending on pin placement there can be a much larger variety of shots called for. Both have some blind holes that a spotter is called for especially for first timers. A few confusing points to figure out where to head for the next hole. Sometimes there will be quite a few people out there on weekends. Many death putts.
Taylor moutain not much shorter than Skyline but less technical shots in general. A few holes could use a spotter, some death putts but not as many or quite as bad as Skyline especially in summer with dry ground and grass. Will be crowded, especially on a weekend with large impromptu doubles groups and lots and lots of people almost every weekend it is hard to play a round an not run into a group that has first timers or very nearly.

Several of the courses as you head north on 101 are worth playing if you have the time but hard to say any are destination courses like Dela and GG park. Brooktrails and Humbolt state are along what you described in the first post. In the redwoods, good hole variety, fair, fun.

don't pass on dela. It is truly one of the best there is. period.

Had an amazing trip. Thanks for the suggestions y'all. Ended up playing the 3 courses I set out to play based on suggestions here- Dela, Golden Gate and Brooktrails. They were all amazing courses, but there was something special, or even majestic about playing Brooktrails surrounded by all the old growth redwoods and the babbling brook in such a pristine environment. That was my first disc golf vacation and I loved it. Where to next? I'm thinking Minnesota or Wisconsin or North Carolina...hmm, decisions, decisions.